Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

Cloning animals for food, cloning human body parts & parents picking their kids Genes

I've been wondering, how do you feel on these subjects?

1) Cloning animals for extra food. Think about it, with this technology, we could breed masses of cows in months and have them be cloned in a few months and we have TONS of surplus food, which is then shipped to 3rd world countries.

2) Cloning human body parts. As sick is this sounds, organ farms could be extremely helpful lifesavers. Less time to wait on a doner list.

3) Parents selecting the genes of their children. I dunno, it takes all the fun out of a birth, but it DOES have good points. You could remove genes that cause illnesses and also craft the child of the best of both your traits to mold how they will generally act in their life.

So, what's YOUR opinion on all this?

1) Sounds cool

2) As long as we arent breeding people and harvesting organs from them. It would be okay if it were just the organs themselves.

3) Hahaha. People with inferior genes who want perfect children? Fuck them. My genes are getting passed on exactly as they are.

the_Danarchist said:

1) Sounds cool

2) As long as we arent breeding people and harvesting organs from them. It would be okay if it were just the organs themselves.

3) Hahaha. People with inferior genes who want perfect children? Fuck them. My genes are getting passed on exactly as they are.

Actually, I must once again argue for the 3rd. If you can select the genes to have and modify and remove, you can ensure the long-time health of your child, somewhat, and even their personality.

1. Yeah, but only if some of the clones arent diseased or screwed up. I dont want to be mutated or some wicked shit like that. Otherwise fine.
2. Erm... no. I dont want some old guy's liver thank you very much :P.
3. Hell no! The penis give the egg it's data and that's that!

1) Fine by me, as long as theyre kept from mating with "natural" animals.

2) As long as it's body parts and not actual humans designed solely to be gutted.

3) I think this would interfere with evolution. Also, there would be societal problems. So no.

BlackFish said:

I dont want to be mutated or some wicked shit like that

You're kinda dumb. :P You'd have to consume massive quantities of seriously fucked off-the-wall animal growth factors for anything like that to happen to you.

1 & 2 are impossible as far as I know, at least with current technology. You can't make spare parts, and you can't grow bodies faster, the clones still have to be grown within a mother and born the usual way. Not that I've researched this much (or at all).

As for 3... blech, thorny moral issue. Not going to touch it.

BlackFish said:

3. Hell no! The penis give the egg it's data and that's that!

Hahaha, I like that.

1. Why not just engineer/clone the muscle or the part of the body that is eaten, most people dont eat every part of a animal.

2. I'm for it.

3. Intresting point, assmaster makes a good point.

1) It's ridiculous, because cloning only creates different offspring, not more. Cloned animals are born the usual way.

Besides, you still have to feed, maintain, and provide land for cloned animals.

Also, there already is a huge excess of food in this part of the world, and it's not getting to third-world countries.

This kind of Frankensteinian science will end with the destruction of the world. Trust me. I know better.

One day, someone will invent the Axlotl Tank and this will all be easy and possible (yet very inhumane).

1) no. It's not like it would help. It would make the situation a lot worse in fact.

2) yes

3) no

1) Go ahead. Might solve a lot of problems.
2) Go ahead. I'm all for it. Nothing wrong with this in my opinion.
3) This might be against God's laws if he exists. On the other hand, why not? If God exists then he probably gave us this opportunity. For the non religious people: When you touch human genes people think you're some kind of Hitler. I, for one, like this idea. This could make our bodies stronger. Basically we're doing the same thing now with medicines. We get rid of diseases by taking medicines. We could prevent medication from being needed if we decide to make our bodies stronger before birth, not afterwards by going to a doctor.

Also, everybody who believes that when you're cloning a person you'll pass on the character of person A to person B has got the wrong idea. Cloning has nothing to do with your character, your charm. Nothing. Your mind is created by your upbringing, your personal experiences and your social life.

3) If parents were allowed to select the genes of their children, then other parents would feel pressured too as well, because they'd naturally assume (and probably be right) that non-genetically engineered children would be inferior to those who are - smarter, stronger, better looking, etc.

Disorder said:

1) Go ahead. Might solve a lot of problems.

No, actually I think it would cause a lot more problems than it would solve.

2) Go ahead. I'm all for it. Nothing wrong with this in my opinion.

Nope, it's a good idea.

3) This might be against God's laws if he exists.

He doesn't exist.

I've never seen a perfect world. Then again, a true perfect world probably wouldnt include kevin costner.

BBG said:

Actually, I must once again argue for the 3rd. If you can select the genes to have and modify and remove, you can ensure the long-time health of your child, somewhat, and even their personality.

Yes, the person is male and you change the genes to female... hmm, what happens? Well, you can't change the person's personality with genes, that's what happens! >:D

1) Let's work with all the excess food we have rotting in our warehouses before we make more. Once we need it, tho, that's fine.

2) Sounds great in principle, will be tough in execution. Who gets what? How much will this cost? Can you perfect the tech? Et cetera.

3) You just know that somebody is gonna try to play God with this. Who makes the choices, who controls the technology, and how much does a procedure cost?

1: As a few people have rightly said, this wouldn't mean more food at all. It is no faster than the natural method - unless you have in mind some procedure yet to be invented. Oh, and having animals eat plants so that the animals can then be eaten by humans is not necessarily a very efficient use of resources in any case.

2: I am in favour of cloning technology being used in this way.

3: To correct defects that would lead to the child being stillborn or with a severe mental or physical disability, yes.

Dark Fox said:

Why not just engineer/clone the muscle or the part of the body that is eaten, most people dont eat every part of a animal.

Been done before, but it's usually considered inhumane.

AndrewB said:

It's ridiculous, because cloning only creates different offspring, not more. Cloned animals are born the usual way.

I was going to say that. =P

Assmaster said:

I think this would interfere with evolution.

Humans have already messed up evolution as much as possible. In fact, humans are like the anti-evolution. At least in America, we take great strides to make sure everyone stays alive, healthy, and has money. The rich give their money to the poor, and the mentally or physically handicapped are supported and helped so they can remain "equal" to everyone else. Sorry to say such an "evil" thing, but that's not how nature works.

Tobester said:

yeah. we can have genetically engineer supar soldiers RULE TEH WORLD

It'd probably just be like Gattaca. Anyone ever seen that movie?

ravage said:

Only if we can genetically merge a human with a dog.

It's been done: