Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

PENNEY ARCADE MAKES THE FUNNEY!

They have a point. The revenant looks ass. I assume it's at a stupid angle, but that's the way Id have chosen to present it.

Oh, penny arcade sucks.

fraggle said:

its so true

I don't agree. They simply have to make the enemies look like the old ones from Doom and Doom II. There's no escaping it. They're pretending like they've never seen the Revenant before.

heh. The Doom3 monster designs are the best I've ever seen in any game so far. Call me what you want.

I haven't seen anything in Doom 3 that looks funny. 'Bizarre' is the word I'd use about some of 'em, 'cool' is the word I'd use for others - but I've yet to see something that looks like a cacodemon (which admittedly looks/looked funny).

But heh, all people have their own ideas of what's funny. Homicidal maniacs, for instance, think it's funny to murder kids with a pair of scissors.

[edit]Oh wait, the Doom 3 revenant looks funny! But only on the newest screenshot.[/edit]

If you look at any game's monsterdesigns and tell yourself that they look funny, they look funny. Personally, I have never seen skeletons with body armor and rocket launchers before, so I have no idea why some people call the Revenant unoriginal.

Disorder said:

Personally, I have never seen skeletons with body armor and rocket launchers before, so I have no idea why some people call the Revenant unoriginal.

This is only a guess, but I imagine some people think they look like some sort of living dead warriors from a D&D'esque game with only a pair of pretty simple-looking cylinders strapped to their shoulders.

Admittedly, I didn't like the old Revenant because I thought it looked stupid and because its armour reminded me of some sort of medieval breast plate.
The new one, however, looks so much more badass imho, because the armour is more futuristic (plus it somehow gives the Revenant a more beefy look), it has blazing eyes (which may not sound like much, but which, to me, does a huge difference in basic cool factor) and because not only does the rocket launchers look a lot cooler (and more like actual weapons) and the rockets seem more fitting than the gigantic, flaming balls that came out of those tiny cylinders in Doom 2.

dsm said:

This is only a guess, but I imagine some people think they look like some sort of living dead warriors from a D&D'esque game with only a pair of pretty simple-looking cylinders strapped to their shoulders.

Admittedly, I didn't like the old Revenant because I thought it looked stupid and because its armour reminded me of some sort of medieval breast plate.
The new one, however, looks so much more badass imho, because the armour is more futuristic (plus it somehow gives the Revenant a more beefy look), it has blazing eyes (which may not sound like much, but which, to me, does a huge difference in basic cool factor) and because not only does the rocket launchers look a lot cooler (and more like actual weapons) and the rockets seem more fitting than the gigantic, flaming balls that came out of those tiny cylinders in Doom 2.

i hated the revrants..they kicked my ass :P
but I wanna know wth that baby was with wings in game play demo?? Those were just weird :P

Shaviro said:

heh. The Doom3 monster designs are the best I've ever seen in any game so far. Call me what you want.

You look like ass.

DC

I just wish the game would come out now so everyone who thinks they're funny can actually have an at least partly valid reason for mocking it.

pritch said:

I just wish the game would come out now so everyone who thinks they're funny can actually have an at least partly valid reason for mocking it.

and all the hopeless fanboys can have at least a party valid reason to love it?

Cyb said:

and all the hopeless fanboys can have at least a party valid reason to love it?

You get it.

Is my logic not a breath of fresh air in this sea of hype-based bollocks? :P

pritch said:

Is my logic not a breath of fresh air in this sea of hype-based bollocks? :P

It sure improves my mood.

What's interesting is that id has chosen to make a game where they LOSE alot of creative control. Their artists have some leeway for characters, but not much.

People EXPECT the Cacodemon, they EXPECT the Revenant, they EXPECT the Cyberdemon. And they have to look similar enough to the original that they are recognizable.

Fortunately AND unfortunately the original monsters the new beatiary in Doom3 is descended from are extremely varied. In an age where we want immersion and themes to our games, id's artist have to try and breathe a similar life into dozens of creatures that had absolutely NO similar qualities whatsoever.

Fat Lardbags with Flamethrowers. Pink biting demons. Cybernetic Brains with Spider Legs. None of these have anything in common. I guess my take is that Doom3 already has a potential library of loveable, very unique creatures to build from, and either they will look VERY convincing, all having similar features and seeming from the same demented universe... or it'll look extremely hokey with red flying Heads, burning skulls, and fat manchicks with flamethrowers for arms.

Well, they do have some new monsters as well.

We've seen the flying baby thing (seraphs?), the trites, tentacle commandos, some other imp-looking creature with bigger claws, and I get the distinct impression from the Qcon interviews that that list has only barely scratched the surface--and for certain is not even finalized.

We'll see.

The artists at ID really do suck. The point penny arcade makes is valid, dispite penny arcade being a comic by retards for retards.

Rather than just hopelessly plagerise Giger, they would have been better to get Giger himself. The man has been working in the entertainment industry for decades anyway, they could have at least hired him as a designer.

Doom 3 could have been art, instead it's winding up as a sub-standard alien 3 / zombie flick rip off. Even Carmack has expressed his displeasure with the current state of the monsters, and the map design I have seen is really nothing new.

Oh yeah, :) :) :) :) :) you all suck :( :) :\ :) :) troll at work smilie etcetera.

Darknation, you do realise that they have to stay somewhat true to the original concepts of the Demons from Doom and Doom II, and therefore the artists cannot experiment freely with the Demon's designs, do you?

Disorder said:

Darknation, you do realise that they have to stay somewhat true to the original concepts of the Demons from Doom and Doom II, and therefore the artists cannot experiment freely with the Demon's designs, do you?

Actually, id does have some leeway with the monsters (and a good many other things). They're not copying Doom; rather they're retelling Doom's story in a new way.

Oh, and DN, you try making those monsters. :P

1. arguing about how cool penny arcade is does not make you cool
2. arguing about how cool the monster design in doom 3 is going to be does not make you cool
3. you're not cool