Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Hardest game worth playing...

what is the hardest game that you thought was worth playing, and secondly, what was the hardest game you ever finished?

I'll add my 10c later...

Not gonna be the best choice, but one off the top of my head that seems to fit the bill as best that I can remember.

1+2. Hardest game worth playing and finished would seem like a good choice for Blaster Master for the NES. I've memorized the route through this huge mazelike platformer by now but I imagine it would be a huge pain in the ass the first time through, especially with the lack of passwords. It takes a few hours to go from start to finish, and even though most of the beginning levels (1-5) can be completed without much difficulty, it gets really rough from then on. Level 6 has some rough jumps and spike traps to get through, Level 7 is the damn maze I can easily forget how to finish, and Level 8... jesus. I still can't play that level worth a damn today. :)

It's probably because all the accumulated items you get make the controls somewhat more touchy, even though they can be switched off whenever you want (I think). But the last level is a huge spike-filled cesspool with creepy music and some nasty final bosses (yeah, also the only level with two bosses).

Oh well, at least the bomb trick made some bosses a triffle.

I ramble on, but I'd mention the toughest game I've ever played and never finished... Ghosts N' Goblins for the NES, but the controls sucked and wasn't worth the frustration anyway.

Hmm... Ranger X was always pretty hard but I did eventually finish it.
The hardest game worth playing, though...I'd have to say Super Real Mahjongg on the NGPC. ;)

Terminator 2 on GB and Batman and robin on the megadrive. Having said that i'd probably beat them both with ease nowadays.

There was this one game for the NES called Metal Storm. It was very hard and extremely rare. It was your basic platform type game, except that you could flip gravity back and forth whenever you wanted for however long you wanted (even while you're in midair). It took a little time to get used to the controls, but once I did, it was quite a fun game, and it got very difficult near the end, and especially on hard mode.

I recall the later levels of Super Mario Bros. on the NES being quite difficult when playing them as a lad of 8 years :P

dune 2000 is hard as hell, GTA2 is a shit at times.

I remember Alien 3 on the snes being quite hard, but still a totally excellent game.

Contra: Shattered Soldier for the PS2 is insanely difficult, even on easy.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Castlevania III for the NES got really hard at the end, but I still loved it. Same goes for Fatal Frame. The difficulty spikes up near the end, but it's well, well worth the effort.

Shadow warrior for the nes (iirc, there is tons of nes games named that, but it is the game where you play Ryu and have to save your father). It get so fucking annoying in the end, heh I need to beat it sometime. :P

Also castlevania 3 is evil, however the really hard thing is the evil man himself, I also need to beat that one.

Adventures of Lolo3 is hard too, but that is the puzzles' fault.
Thank god, it have password system, think if you had to complete it at once. :P

fodders said:

Life, but not finished playing it yet.

the end boss is hard in that game

Gruadius 3 on the SNES can be a real toughy. Luckily my emulator supports save states and the slowdown function, otherwise I'd have given up before I got as far as I have. I know, I'm lame.

ANY Command and Conquer game gets rediculously tough later on, at least to me. But I still love playin' em.

Oh, and Doom64. I lobveded that game, but I could never get past level 20, I think it was. Thank the doom gods for the Doom64 TC, though.

Lemmings (and its sequel) got horribly tough towards the end - they became like really difficult logic puzzles, with solutions requiring nearly perfect implementation. I didn't manage to finish it, but I spent an awfully long time trying.

Gotta mention chess too. I've never beaten one of the end bosses in that either. ;)

Hardest I ever finished? Difficult to say, since if I finish something I tend to conclude that it couldn't really have been all that difficult in the first place.

Julian said:

Hell Revealed, Nightmare mode.

Probably a physical impossibility due to map07 (no way to keep all the arachnotrons dead), so it fails the "worth playing" criterion. :p

Legend (PC), Lemmings 1/2 (PC) and some of the Dizzy games (Speccy).

Grazza said:

Lemmings (and its sequel) got horribly tough towards the end - they became like really difficult logic puzzles, with solutions requiring nearly perfect implementation. I didn't manage to finish it, but I spent an awfully long time trying.

Did Mayhem level 29 get the better of you?

(and the last level of the Sports tribe in L2)

Diablo 2 LOD , hell difficulty, with 8 other players

THAT's hard.

Actually, Dune 1 is quite difficult. I've yet to beat it. Still trying hard though. :)

ravage said:

Diablo 2 LOD , hell difficulty, with 8 other players

THAT's hard.

Been there, done that. Try hardcore.

And then try Seven Lances (in hardcore). That's rekindled my interest in D2 for at least another few months I'd guess.

Yeah, thought about adding castlevania 1 or 3 in there. I recently replayed castlevania 1 and beat it on one continue, which amazed me, remembering with pain how many continues I used to spend just to try to beat Dracula's first form. I died 4 times total, 2 on Death and Dracula respectively. Castlevania 3 would probably be easy with some of the shortcuts Grant can pull off, and Dracula is a lot easier in the third game, IMO.

I would like to give another shout out to Ninja Gaiden for sending your ass to the very start of the ultra-annoying level 6 for failing to kill Jaquio and the Demon in one life. I remember getting owned by Jaquio as a lad and just quitting after seeing where I had been dropped off, but recently I finally managed to beat the game. I guess this makes it more difficult than Blaster Master, but I still enjoy the latter more. :)

The Civilization series. The first one is actualy easy to beat if you're going for taking over the world mode. But Civ2 and Civ 3 make the AI wise up to your tricks fast. If you push for world domination, you're likely to find youself up against an alliance of nations. I've gotten space race/cultural/diplomatic victories aplently, but I'm still working for that conquest victory.

Nightmare: Jesus Christ, you're nuts.

Darknation: Heh, I've played many many hours of Dune 2, 2000, and Emperor and I've never beat a single campaign from any of them.

I really don't like games where you can get to the very end, but either the final level or the end boss is practically impossible to beat except by blind luck and more time wasted beating him than the entire time playing the game.

Arioch said:

Not surprised that Blizzard left Diablo II to rot after the pre-expansion patch. Dang it was so screwed up after that. It was like playing on a hack-rampant open server.

Hardcore really was (can't speak for the last 2 1/2 years) the more mature, intelligent, and friendly community. It was so much more addicting and worth playing. As some would know, I was once the #1 Hardcore Paladin. But that pales in comparison to (we know who) finding the #1 rarest item in the game. Zod rune. Unbelievable that I saw it with my own eyes 2nd-person in closed Battle.net.

But really, Diablo II was not a hard game. The single-player aspect sucked so much that few people would want to finish the game, but it was not at all white-knuckle hard.