Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geekmarine

What's your favorite Quake source port?

Well? This is all just out of curiosity. Sometimes I get on these kicks where I decide to play the original Quake. Anyways, my personal favorite at the moment is Tomazquake. It has a nice system to smooth out the animations, which I really like, in addition to various random graphics improvements. Of course, I do realize that Quake 1 is kind of the "loser game," lost between the popularity of Doom and Quake 2. Still, it has its charm, though I'm constantly oscillating between loving it and hating it. I am certainly glad I got it, though.

Tenebrea is all shiny and shit. I dont like the maps looking like someone polished every surface. other than that i dont play quake much anymore

TomazQuake had a lot going for it, that is until the project was abandoned. Right now as far as I can tell, the best netquake source port is JoeQuake.

http://delfin.unideb.hu/~sj0002/joeq_shot.html

It looks good, supports all the retextured/remodelled resources if you're into that kind of stuff and it doesn't run as slow as Tenebrae. Download it and you'll see what I mean.

Unfortunately, none of the current source ports seem to run the Malice for Quake TC properly.

If you count glquake as a source port, then I'm happy enough with that.

Tenebrae is fun to look at, but is a bit choppy and lacks demo compatibility with the original game. Apart from replaying Quake on NM about 18 months ago, watching demos is just about my only contact with Quake nowadays.

GLQuake, the one that has smooth animations and floor shadows for the enemies. Tenabrae is cool and all, but it kinda fucks with ambience of the game, and it runs like shit on my comp.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned FuhQuake. While Tenabrae is good, it's just way to impracticle to run on average system specs. have an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ and GF4 Ti4200 and I only get 15fps on average. FuhQuake on the other is very nice. While not as graphically appealing it has some very nice features such as HL2 and Q2 map loading, ability to play QuakeWorld Games and is still under constant development

Mr. Chris said:

I don't play Quake

Then why even bother reading - let alone posting in - this thread? *rolls eyes*

Anyway, I do play Quake (although I haven't in a while) and when I do I usually use Tomaz.

aca said:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned FuhQuake.

Ummm

DEMOn said:

fuhquake, mvd, or joequake.

As for me, it's been a long time since I dl'd a quake port. I used to like Tomaz, but this Joequake looks interesting. I may try that.

FuhQuake or MoreQuakeworld. Tenebrae is interesting, albeit not much more than a novelty.