Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Drugs are like, SOO EVIL!! or are they?

In a desperate bit to save my other thread I have made this one in the hopes of diverting most of the drug related flames here. And perhaps, if we ask really nicely, A very chartable mod might even take the time to move the relevant posts here.

Just to recap the events that started this:

the_Danarchist: So, if I where president I’d legalize weed.

Baron Slayer419: NO! weed is bad, evil and addictive.

BBG: Bah. I smoked weed and I’m fine.

Baron Slayer419: What!? You have stopped right?

BBG: uhhh... no.

Baron Slayer419: OMG!! I’m telling! Bad bad man! The police will get you!!! You will go to hell!! Bad person!!!!I looked at your Blog! OMG Drug dealer!!! BAD PERSON!! BAN HIM NOW!!! I WILL COME FOR YOU!!!

Random members :Leave BBG alone.

Baron Slayer419: NO!! he’s an evil drug dealer!

BBG: weeds not the worst thing ever

Baron Slayer419: YES IT IS! IT IS THE WORST THING EVER!!

Flame on.

Drugs are teh leet.

I used up all the relevant things I had to say in the other thread. Heh.

I don't do drugs, or even smoke for that matter. It's fine for some people but not for me.

Ehh, I'm tempted to reply but I'll wait untill baron slayer finds this thread.

Baron Slayer turned out to be this Prometheus character I reckon, and to stay on topic: I don't find anything wrong with weed, but alcohol is a different story.

AndrewB said:

Drugs are short-term gratification at the expense of long-term well-being.

But everyone wants results NOW.

AndrewB said:

Hey, I agree with this guy for once!

SlowMotionHobo said:

Baron Slayer turned out to be this Prometheus character I reckon, and to stay on topic: I don't find anything wrong with weed, but alcohol is a different story.

So alcohol is worse than weed? Silly Hobo.

Ct_red_pants said:

A very chartable mod might even take the time to move the relevant posts here.

It's not so easy to split a thread that has become such an intertwined mess of ideas. Besides, I've already deleted quite a few of them.

I'm not sure a thread launched by a flamewar is such a good idea at all, but I'll just restate the basic rule for drug-related discussion in these forums: no posts encouraging people to break the law in any way, or advocating drug use. If you think a particular drug should be legalized and don't consider it harmful (or less harmful than ones that are legal), that's OK; but please don't describe in detail a fantastic trip you had, and claim that everyone should try the drug in question.

It's impossible to make an argument about why a drug should be legalized without promoting it in one way or another. Promoting a drug in the current illegal status is equivelant to promoting breaking the law so the end result will still be the same, a thread will be closed. But if all you're asking is to keep drug experiances out of this, then yeah it can work unless the topic shifts to motor skills or such.

Either way, I don't care, you deleted the best post I ever made on dw, I hate you! =P

AndrewB said:

I don't think smoking pot once every 3 months or so is going to have any long term side effects.

Scuba Steve said:

So alcohol is worse than weed? Silly Hobo.

Yes I see alcohol worse than weed. I've never seen potheads get pissed off and backhand you because you didn't answer them the right way.

Alcohol and marijuana clearly have very different effects on the brain. I think it is very hard to say in some empirical way which has more serious effects.

Sure, drunks are more likely to start fights than pot-heads, but from my own (very limited) experience, marijuana seems to "rewire" the brain in such a way that makes some basic instinctive things more difficult. It was playing chess that brought this home to me - as long as I am still conscious, I can still play to a decent-ish standard (2000 maybe) when inebriated, but feel like a novice (1200?) if stoned. With hardened drinkers among top-level players, the effect of alcohol seems even less; e.g., Mikhail Tal's play appeared almost completely unaffected. Those who have experimented with playing tournaments while high have tended to perform extremely badly (Lawrence Day described one such experience in an interview). Of course, there is little documented evidence on this; for obvious reasons it tends to be anecdotal in nature.

I've found smoking weed actualy improves my performance on Halo. Weed really makes you space out, but at the same time you focus one the one thing you're working on (and if you're not concentrating on anything, you default to your hands I guess). So basicaly you're sitting there and as soon as you get someone in your crosshairs, you fire. I can see how it would affect chess though, because theres a lot of forethought that goes into that that weed would get rid of.

SlowMotionHobo said:

Yes I see alcohol worse than weed. I've never seen potheads get pissed off and backhand you because you didn't answer them the right way.

Bingo! Alcohol can be a terrible drug. It makes people fight. It makes people end up in trouble. It makes you have a hangover. Alcohol is addictive. It eventually destroys parts of the human body. And.. It's widely accepted. Druglaws don't make any sense at all.

Yes, I use alcohol. But I've learned my lessons from the past years. I don't abuse it anymore. I think I've had my period of binging and puking.

I don't want to try weed etc. but I'm not going to depreive people of them. Freedom of choice folks.

As for my poison, Alcohol's fine in my grubby little mitts.

Yeah I'm not someone to take drugs but I sure as hell don't care if other people do. Let them use their body like they want to, it's theirs, after all, not the gov't's. Or at least so I like to pretend.

People..... I have appologiesed to BBG, and he has exepted...
I will still press my point. Weed is bad becuase it is illegal, and a "Drug"!

~````~``<=======> ---- Bad/illigal
/
Joint

Baron Slayer419 said:

you sir, are a master of logic.

Baron Slayer419 said:

Let's make pants illegal! Then we can say it's bad because it's illegal and it's pants!

Baron Slayer419 said:

People..... I have appologiesed to BBG, and he has exepted...

I hope you dont drink Coca-Cola or Coffee. You know caffeine is a drug, right?