Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

NewDoom's disaster

I feel fucking sick especially for all the Legacy and JDoom posts gone because of some idiots, not to mention all the other stuff we had in our Editing forums, etc... Fuck. I hope theres a backup but I have a bad feeling about that. :(

As for the hosted sites on NewDoom, I'd say it's time to wait a bit and see if there's back ups;

Slidespace was unaffected - as was everything else on NewDoom apart from the forums as far as I know.

As for people having a problem with Mull - it's his baby he can run it how he likes just like any other admin.

Goldie: My whole profile was changed

Bah, probably some poor kid who has been smitten by your awesomeness. I wouldn't sweat it cuz hundreds of us know that you kick all kinds of ass. :) Well we'll get everything back up, replace anything that may have been lost and then go on about our business. In the end it won't have mattered that much. Everyone who frequents those forums knows that just by doing so we become a target through no fault of our own. There's been shit before, there will be shit again. It's not gonna change anything. Once the Legacy forums come back up I'll repost the important info ( if the old stuff was indeed lost ) as best I can and get back to business of wasting my time with this old ass game. I do hope all the people who had a hand in it are punished even if it's just contacting their ISP and having their internet connection cut off.

I'm wondering, how is it possible to retrieve a password from vBulletin? I've been told that they're stored in md5 hashes, which are almost impossible to reverse into its original contents.

This sucks. Not only do the mods of Newdoom have to go through the stress of tracking down those responsible for destroying their forums, but since deathy was involved, it makes DW look bad too. I hope that they have backups, because certainly the posts in their hosted forums had stuff in them that could not be replaced easily (bug reports, editing tips, etc.), and that harms more than just Newdoom, it harms the community as a whole.

ND members, please pass this message on to wmull for me : please don't close the forums because of this mess, it may be bad, but you've got the support of some great people. Don't let that douchebag think he broke you, keep the forums open and start anew if you have to. Newdoom's forums do offer many resources that anyone, be they from ND, DW, PD or whatever, can use. I'm sorry this had to happen.

Thanks Rellik, you're the best. ;)

The forums have been closed, because everyone still had moderator powers. It was defeating the purpose of trying to clean the place up a bit. Of course to also try and rebuild.

Sadly with my talks with Phoebus it seems there are no backups. He just said to me "now we need to rebulid the forums, there will be no posts, but at least it will be back". So looks like all the info is long gone. :( You are right BBG...this is a total mess for the moderators. I don't get paid to do this crap. I mod because I like the community, but now I have to sit here for hours on end trying to help figure this shit out. Ugh.

exile said:

I'm wondering, how is it possible to retrieve a password from vBulletin? I've been told that they're stored in md5 hashes, which are almost impossible to reverse into its original contents.

You're right, it isn't possible to extract passwords from MD5 hashes. A password must be retrieved through some other glitch.

I come home from school and my sister tells me newdoom was hacked. I thought it wasn't too bad until I actually saw it. It's sickening. Whoever did it isn really not going to be welcome in here or any doom site again, I'll see to it myself if I have to.

The forums are closed for now it says. I don't think it'll be closed for good though. I think Phoebus is just working at getting it back online. And reading Goldeyes' post, it's going to be hard to rebuild ND. We're all going to need to pull together to get the place back up. I'd help but I don't know how. The forums are way too important to the community to simply be taken offline.
BTW DD and goldeyes, it's good to hear from you. I think that fromnow on all mods on DW and ND are going to be cracking down on any rivalry shit and be vigilant about any goings on. This shit has gone on too long and amounts to nothing. It should just stop NOW!

On one hand, wmull is a jackass. I say this because of what he's done to me and other people I know (especialy darknation), so it's not just a 'me too' kind of thing. Personaly, this seems to me to be a bit of karmic justice. If you make that many enemies, it's bound to happen sooner or later. Also, I don;t think deathz0r should take the blame for this. Just because he was the only one that actualy admitted to changing anything, I don't really think he should be the scapegoat. I hope his ban is temporary. Really, the person or persons who hacked it initialy, who did defaming stuff like mess with GoldEye's account, and who deleted all the posts are the ones who really did the heinous stuff.

Still, I'm not totally supporting this. I mean, they fucking deleted all the posts. I know I'd me pretty irked if that ever happened to Doomworld. I especialy feel sorry for all the forums of hosted sites. The stuff there was probably mostly technical support questions, suggestions, bug reports, etc. Losing that will likely set those teams back a bit. I hope there is a backup of the forums somewhere.

Ninja, you are right. DD and I both have accounts here, and I'm mostly just a lurker, but I never understood the bad blood between the two sites or Mull/Doomworld. I will never understand it, period. But I think mods from both sites understand this has finally gone too far and are willing to work with one another to finally put this to rest.

GoldEyes said:

Sadly with my talks with Phoebus it seems there are no backups.

If this is confirmed, it's a really bad new.

The first thing I've done this morning when all this happened, is a full backup of all my websites. I always had some good excuse to do that later (no time, too much other urgent work, etc...) I will surely spend the time needed every evening now.

Sadly with my talks with Phoebus it seems there are no backups

Isn't there an (American) law that states that all public services need their data to be backup and kept for at least 3 months? Excuse me for being a bit suspicious, it could just as well be paranoia :P

Like I said, we'll need to pull together to get the place running again. It'll be fine once the forums are backup. We'll just need a load of spam and a few old topics to be re-created.:)

LOL. Well that's me just assuming. I don't know. I just assumed because Phoebus said this...

Now, we've got to rebuild the forums.
There won't be any posts, but if you could help me remember them all......

And mind you it has been comfirmed....

The only backup I might have is from the UBB forums; I was waiting to back up the forums before we upgraded to the version 3 of vbulletin, but the Gold version hasn't come out yet; they're still in release candidate mode.

Unless he can get something from vBulletin? I have no idea. But it looks like a no go on the backup.

Why is everyone assuming it's a DW user who hacked Newdoom's forums? WMull has several non-DW enemies too, e.g. King REoL and various members of ravengames.com and Something Awful.

Who is assuming its a DW member(s)? I'm not, I just figured since this is a big loss to the Doom Community that the whole Doom Community would work together. I mean if we don't, whos to say it won't happen here, next?

exile said:

Isn't there an (American) law that states that all public services need their data to be backup and kept for at least 3 months? Excuse me for being a bit suspicious, it could just as well be paranoia :P

Newdoom isnt a public service, its a private website.

maybe there is somewhere on the server an automatic daily (weekly/monthly ?) backup of the database?

NiGHTMARE said:

Why is everyone assuming it's a DW user who hacked Newdoom's forums? WMull has several non-DW enemies too, e.g. King REoL and various members of ravengames.com and Something Awful.

I figured it was someone from Newdoom that got fed up with wmull for one reason or another. But I dunno. We shouldn't be making any assumptions.

To quote ninja, i fully agree.

I can tell that everyone is very sad about all of this. All the hard work and all the w.i.p. stuff on newdoom is all gone. This is something that will be carved in our memorys but for now....let's just make the best outa this

Hmmm. Diablo perhaps? He's got a lot of beef against virtually everyone on ND, myself included. Now While I don't know if he could ever hack, I have my suspicions. I'm not saying it was him I'm just saying he's a possibillity.

Ninja_of_DooM said:

I think that fromnow on all mods on DW and ND are going to be cracking down on any rivalry shit and be vigilant about any goings on. This shit has gone on too long and amounts to nothing. It should just stop NOW!

Yes. I agree.

Let's delete all posts that may be even slightly critical of any other site and sweep them under the carpet, and pretend it was never said and no one ever saw it.

We can ban the users too, just to be on the safe side.

GoldEyes said:

Ninja, you are right. DD and I both have accounts here, and I'm mostly just a lurker, but I never understood the bad blood between the two sites or Mull/Doomworld. I will never understand it, period. But I think mods from both sites understand this has finally gone too far and are willing to work with one another to finally put this to rest.

It's only certain people who stir up crap either way. By rights there shouldn't be any of this garbage but it comes from even the smallest of petty things.

Thanks to you Doomworlders for all you good words and well wishes. ;)

Rellik your right, of course. We'll get back on our feet again with or without backups.

Goldy you didn't deserve that crap in your account. Everybody knows you kick ass. ;)