Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

NewDoom's disaster

the_Danarchist - Did you sign up with a hotmail account? Phoebus has now blocked all accounts signed up with a hotmail account. Don't really know why, but he has.

Ninja, if anything, it's probably helpful keeping some older threads alive.

Go figure, eh Frades?

Thanks dsm. :)

Heh...I probably did. Are Yahoo accounts blocked too (thats my only other adress)?

darknation said:

Ultimately, this sort of thing is a group response to a larger problem with one person who they can't normally criticize for fear of getting banned. The opportunity arose and now wmull's been backstabbed. I don't think any of this is surprising. This is all Caesar stuff.

Not only ancient roman, but also communist as well.

darknation said:

Yes. I agree.

Let's delete all posts that may be even slightly critical of any other site and sweep them under the carpet, and pretend it was never said and no one ever saw it.

We can ban the users too, just to be on the safe side.

Don't blow things out of proportion.

Just wanna say "good luck" to the people from the NewDoom forum. I also hope something good will come out of all this mess.

It seems that I've been living under a rock once again. I hadn't heard about this until today. It sucks, to say the least. Hopefully NewDoom will be up and running completely again very soon. Good luck.

GoldEyes said:

the_Danarchist - Did you sign up with a hotmail account? Phoebus has now blocked all accounts signed up with a hotmail account. Don't really know why, but he has.

Ninja, if anything, it's probably helpful keeping some older threads alive.

Go figure, eh Frades?

Thanks dsm. :)

It was originally put on to stop people evading bans and whatnot, because you can get a new email addy within 5mins.

Ravage said:

darknation said:

Yes. I agree.

Let's delete all posts that may be even slightly critical of any other site and sweep them under the carpet, and pretend it was never said and no one ever saw it.

We can ban the users too, just to be on the safe side.

Don't blow things out of proportion.

I believe Dn was being sarcastic

Oh wait. I just found out it has recently happened? I'm a bit confused here. Can someone give me a little background info?

The only good thing so far is that I only yesterday cleaned out the bugs and feature requests thread so I still have a copy of what I posted on my desktop. Otherwise we'll call it an early and extreme spring cleaning. :)

I think one of the biggest problems is that people (on both sides) have a hard time letting things go. Heh there's lots of people that I've had huge blow outs with but many of them are now my friends. You just gotta let that shit go. Lets just play some doom and make some new junk for it.

Someone gained access to Phoebus' password and proceeded to give everyone (and I mean everyone) administrator status. Deathz0r decided to have some fun and proceeded to deface the forums. Then the real calamity struck. Someone else then deleted every single forum and every single post, thus completely destroying NewDoom and reset everyone's postcount to 0. This idiot also changed a lot of the settings as well. Now, the forums are back up, but they have to start all over.

Heh, apparently some little imp out there was terrifically bored yesterday. Hopefully the bastard who did this will be caught and brought to justice, as it were.

Rellik said:

Lets just play some doom and make some new junk for it.

Damned Straight!

Hey Ichor has more posts than me now. ;)

Id like to have some of the stuff I posted back but the post count being gone doesn't bother me. I always said it was just a number and it doesn't actually mean anything.

What I don't understand is if whoever did it hated Phoebus so much (probably true), why didn't they just delete all his accounts, de-admin him, issue an IP ban and just totally lock him out of the forums? (as opposed to playing around and giving everyone admin status - after all, while the goatse, tubgirl etc. may have started out as jokes, they soon evolved into something fatal...)

Rellik said:

Lets just play some doom and make some new junk for it.

Yep.

/me goes back to putting a couple of secrets in my map...

PumpkinSmasher said:

How does it feel to lose your unbelievably high Post Count DD

We've still got the "registered" date to prove how long we've been there. :)

Man. That sucks. I hate script kiddies. They're the lowest level of the programmer. And these guys didn't do jack shit, except steal a password (probably with someone else password stealing program) and did a bunch pointless n00b shit, so they look cool.

This is fine and fucking dandy. I am apparently banned from there. Any explanation why? I am not using a hotmail account either.

Just wait a while...they are still having a few problems after teh hacking.

I'm glad people realize that we are all Doom fans here. I would also like to thank Cyb for trying to help find the person or persons responsible. Here is a message he posted on New Doom.

Hey,

Just a brief note for those who might not read DW. We at DW are truly sorry for these events that have occured here at the NewDoom forums and we've already taken actions against a few of the known defacers. Though we don't know who started the entire thing, I'm sure we'll find out, but rest assured the persons responsible for this horrible incident will not go unpunished in one way or another. Thanks, and the best of luck with rebuilding the forums.

- Cyb

If you are still banned from the New Doom Forums it is possible you were one of the few banned by malicious users when everyone had admin rights - if you email Pheobus or another mod (Doom_Dude or GoldEyes are your best bets) hopefully they can get it sorted out for you.

BTW everyone still has their Private Messages's.

didi said:

maybe there is somewhere on the server an automatic daily (weekly/monthly ?) backup of the database?

I was gonna say the same thing...daily/weekly backups are important to vbulliten maintainers so they can recover from the mess that happened (I just found out via MSN like an hour ago..)

Why the hell would someone deface the forums like that tho?

I hope the offender(s) is/are caught for this..

Mr. Chris said:

Why the hell would someone deface the forums like that tho?

Why do hackers deface websites? Because they're assholes that like making people miserable.