Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

NewDoom's disaster

This is the only thread where discussions about what happened to ND's forums will be allowed. No flamewar, no stupid ranting. Express yourself if you have something to say. I've been told you have things to say. This thread will be watched closely.

(Why do I have the feeling people are scared now? Come on, I won't bite you... just watch your tongue)

heh. You are a dangerous man, Julian.

Anyways. I sure hope they have backups of the forums.

Shadow Wolf said:

thats weird? why did they get rid of them, maybe there weren't enough people?

They got hacked, you fool.

not scared ;)
I do not know doomworld or doomworld/newdoom problems (first day here), but after reading your reactions about what happened, I think your a good person.
Anyway, you talked somewhere else about deleting your forums : don't do it. We (user of doomsdayHQ forums and others on newdoom) are already punished by the hacker, no need to punish all the people posting in your forum.

I hope that the people who made this will be prosecuted.

What did you actually change deathz0r? (I only ask so I can mail wmull and let him know what needs fixing script wise)

Yes, it was a childish endeavour. I really feel bad for that admins who run ND, I can relate to the mess they will be cleaning up as I'm an admin of a 200+ member vbull. forum.

But, there is no real way to prevent these kind of things.. Script kiddies will always find a way. How many have been banned due to all of this, or is that strictly a no-no to ask.

DaniJ said:

What did you actually change deathz0r? (I only ask so I can mail wmull and let him know what needs fixing script wise)

deathz0r has been IP-banned so he won't answer you here.

Dark Fox said:

How many have been banned due to all of this, or is that strictly a no-no to ask.

Investigations are on-going.

That was the dumbest dumbest, most immature act Iv'e ever witnessed in the doom community thus far. God-forbid someone gets a moderators password from these forums.

Ed said:

That was the dumbest dumbest, most immature act Iv'e ever witnessed in the doom community thus far. God-forbid someone gets a moderators password from these forums.

It already happened, but it was only *1* person and with pretty good manners.

Tobester said:

Imho, i think that too much emphasis has been placed on deathz0r.

But that's just me.

I would agree. Although his actions were stupid, he wasn't the one who deleted everything.

Wmull has long run out of sympathy from the darknation stock. If you are going to run a website in the way he has for the past three years don't be... ah, who cares.

I personally have issues with WMull. I hardly agree with most of his behavior but, still, deleting entire forums is just a hit on the users. Again, this is childish. If you don't like a site you can leave it or make a comedy website to mock it. Deleting forums is simply unnacceptable by any standard.

Julian said:

If you don't like a site you can leave it or make a comedy website to mock it.

Apparently not, since newdoom.tk is what got poor innocent darknation banned from newdoom in the first place. And I didn't even make it.

darknation said:

Apparently not, since newdoom.tk is what got poor innocent darknation banned from newdoom in the first place. And I didn't even make it.

You weren't banned from DW for it, were you? WMull can have the policy he wants, I have mine. But I see no point in harming his users.

Ah, such a silly excuse; we know you really banned deathy cause he's such a lousy /newstuff reviewer. Just like you'd certainly find a subtle excuse to ban Mull for being a most incompetent site admin, had he an account here at all, of course.

But speaking seriously...

didi said:
I hope that the people who made this will be prosecuted.

Right, keep in mind big software companies have a hard-ass time going after hackers that do real shit, and now some beggarly (with "contribute here" prompts and all) site for an ancient game is going to sue some amateur gamer kids for fiddling with the forums in a moment of abandon when they found the forums of the site of a spiteful admin were in chaos? Heh.

I can understand the frustration for all the work lost... and let's wait and see, if everything was backed up properly it'll be back in no time. But what's done is done and it won't be fixed by being hectic (only by back ups, or hard work and a new beginning.)

Also, the knee-jerk militant reaction by the Doomworld staff is not too surprising; I guess Mull's threatening demeanor can be somewhat compromising even to fellow admins and mods during a crisis. But life goes on, you guys are doing a fine job and have no need to get involved in Mull's petty sqabbles (that tidbit about the Raven sites getting hacked earlier was enlightening.)

As for the hosted sites on NewDoom, I'd say it's time to wait a bit and see if there's back ups; if there were, that would help keep things stable. If not, keeping in mind the admin's temperament and way of interacting and the peril of potential problems like these in the future, it might be a moment to make changes, and possibly move elsewhere. DOOM Legacy still has Sourceforge as a base anyway, and I bet PlanetDOOM would be a great home for JDoom; the people there love it (and they have multiple solid download servers to boot, not to mention the pay-service ones for the lucky few.)

Just my mild and humble opinion here.

Julian said:

You weren't banned from DW for it, were you? .

Heh, no. I get banned from DW for all new stupid stunts. :)

But Myk does have a point. If, say, Dubya Bush's website got hacked then we'd all be laughing our asses off and the hackers would be hailed as legends of comedy. If wmull has run his site like a human being then none of this would have happened.

Ultimately, this sort of thing is a group response to a larger problem with one person who they can't normally criticize for fear of getting banned. The opportunity arose and now wmull's been backstabbed. I don't think any of this is surprising. This is all Caesar stuff.

A recent post by GoldEyes in the NewDoom forums (or rather, "forum", since there is only one at present) suggests that attempts are being made to resurrect their forums, so presumably there is some sort of back-up.

She's also asking people not to post there until the problem is sorted out.

darknation said:

Ultimately, this sort of thing is a group response to a larger problem with one person who they can't normally criticize for fear of getting banned. The opportunity arose and now wmull's been backstabbed. I don't think any of this is surprising. This is all Caesar stuff.

I'd disagree. It isn't indicative of most of Newdoom users' attitudes towards him - there's threads popping up since the incident asking why does somebody hate Phoebus so much? Things get hushed up and swept away under the blanket of silence so fast over there that most people don't even know they existed. Any slightly provoking or controversial thread gets locked up and deleted very fast, no matter how valid the points or relevant the debate presented is.

Mull didn't get backstabbed, all of us forum users did. I think that's what people need to keep in mind. If they had hacked the mainsite, that would've been an attack on Mull. Everyone who messed with the forums was attacking the users of those forums. It's easy to say "heh I hate Mull so I wrecked teh forums" but all they did was miss Mull almost entirely and hit a whole lot of other people who have no control over what Mull does. It's like me having a beef with someone and then beating up his little brother. Makes me think it's time to forget about DOOM and find a new hobby.

Rellik said:

It's like me having a beef with someone and then beating up his little brother.

That's a bad analogy. Would you get more pissed if someone beat you up, or a loved family member?

Although maybe you don't love your little brother (I don't love mine ;)

The hit on the forums are as much of a headache for the rest of us over there, not just Mull. I, being a mod, have a huge headache now, as my profile was totally screwed with and no other mods was. What is that supposed to mean? Also since I'm a mod, I have to help in this investigation and figure out what the hell just happened. Yet being a mod is all voluntary...so this person screwed with more than just Mull.

It's not fair to the people over there that this happened. If this person had beef with Mull, then they attacked the wrong area of NewDoom. Mull hardly shows himself in the forums. Doom Dude and I take care of a lot of the shitty people that turn up. It makes no sense. I get a feeling someone also had a pretty good beef with me, but so be it.

I posted to please not post on ND until it's fixed figuring it would just be easier to fix if there wasn't a lot of traffic. I honestly don't know what is going on right now to get the boards back up. I know Mull has been in touch with VBulletin but that's it. As far as I know he hasn't heard anything back as of yet.

Doom_Dude had his name changed, but that's about it. It wasn't nearly as bad as your account, though. And Phoebus's account (but not WMull) seems to have been deleted entirely.

Hmm. Interesting. I knew Doom Dudes account name was changed, but that was it. My whole profile was changed to call me a whore and a bitch over and over again. Phoebus' account is back now, but I figured that since he had my named changed back to normal, etc.