Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Most over-rated games

I get the feeling I’m going to hate a lot of theses replays, but what the hay:

My nominee: Deus Ex

That certainly isn’t to say it’s in any way a bad game, but the best game ever? Nahhhh. It’s a bit slow, and the plot isn’t as great as a lot of people say. It’s a great game, but it’s not “the best”.

Your turn.

heh, people have already listed my two favorite games!

my pick is diablo II. requires no intelligence whatsoever, just lots of clicking. it's only popular because they did a good job making it addictive. but it requires no strategy, and doesn't have a story, and is just all around a giant waste of time.

sargebaldy said:

my pick is diablo II. requires no intelligence whatsoever,

ah...c'mon now

just lots of clicking.

well...yeah

it's only popular because they did a good job making it addictive.

AND HOW!

but it requires no strategy, and doesn't have a story, and is just all around a giant waste of time.

Actually, it does have a story...not a great one...but, whatever

And I beg to differ...It does require strategy. trying out new character builds and attempting to make them viable in the latter stages of the game isn't always easy. Try playing a 1.09 elemental druid, or pike-zon or hell, even an assasin without planning out your skill/stat choices carfully... Then figure in what weapons/armor/charms you have and can use. I'd bet, and i've done it myself, that those characters wouldn't make it too far.

What the hell am I saying? why am I defending diablo 2?

oh yeah, deus ex kicked as....not overrated

Halo Xbox was overrated IMO

pritch said:

Goldeneye for N64

SHITE SHITE SHITE SHITE SHITE

I thought it was a really good game... then I played a PC shooter game (I never owned a computer).
Now I say I would agree with you.

Quast said:

oh yeah, deus ex kicked as....not overrated

My nominee: Deus Ex

That certainly isn’t to say it’s in any way a bad game, but the best game ever? Nahhhh. It’s a bit slow, and the plot isn’t as great as a lot of people say. It’s a great game, but it’s not “the best”.

I agree wholeheartedly with the latter.
Deus Ex is by no means a bad game and it was very original, but it doesn't appeal to me at all.

The entire feel irks me, the zillion different hotkeys needed to play the game decently bugs me and it's filled with weapons that are more or less useless (but it also has a number of really useful ones too).

I simply prefer a simple game where the objective is to kill anything even remotely hostile and Deus Ex is not so enjoyable in this department.

Case in point: It's a great game, but I feel like puking whenever people are like "You MUST try this game, it's teh best evar!!!"

Same with Half Life, but I won't touch that one now, because I've argued against it countless times before.

Quake and Q3A (especially Q3A!!) are overrated as well.

gta 3.

i thought goldeneye was pretty fantastic.

Half Life 2. You should know what I mean if you have seen the recent gaming magazines.

I always thought that the FF series was over-rated. Not that the FF games are bad, it's just there are certainly other RPGs out there that are just as good or better.

Meh, NWN was great.

Deus Ex was fucking excellent.

And Diablo II offers differing levels of gameplay. Click Click Click might get you through Normal difficulty ... sometimes ... but it will never do for Hell. And then there's Hardcore. And Hardcore Hell.

Duke3d - was behind the times as far as graphics, first versions had alot of nasty nasty bugs. was fun to play

quake 3 - i never really liked it.

halo - yes it is fun, and it looks good. however too much hype

counter strike - its adictive, but... the out dated graphics and effects. also buggy, and a preset need for online play. also all the 13 year old fan boys

N64 golden eye, yep i'll agree. too much hype.

any pokemon game - too much hype, far too much. do we need a pokemon game for every color?

yo-gi-oh - same deal as poke-a-man, only much more lame

dead or alive 3/volley ball - over rated, fun for 15 minutes. then boring. made for horney teen fan boys with no girlfriends and small hands. i played both for like 15 minutes and got sick of it.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Any modern game - all graphics and no gameplay, with a lifespan of about 2 days.

Come on now, you wouldn't be saying that if you'd actually played a decent modern game. It seems to me you've just had an extremely bad run of luck when it comes to chosing what games to buy/play.

Games like Broken Sword, Silent Hill 3 (gamepad is a must though, it just doesn't work with a keyboard), KotoR and Ghostmaster are all superb games which quite obviously have had far more emphasis placed on gameplay than graphics. Sure they have very nice graphics (none of them are exactly state of the art though) but they also have superb gameplay too.

Games like the Sims, Simon the Sorcerer 3D, Railroad Tycoon 3 and The Hobbit also have better gameplay than graphics, but for the reason they have graphics that are so abyssmal that the gameplay couldn't really be any worse (although in all four cases it comes close).

Please don't tell me you're one of those people who automatically assumes that if something has great graphics then obviously it can't have great gameplay, and visa versa? If so... :( :( :(

Goldeneye is a damn good FPS for a console. Yes, I know that the keyboard+mouse combo is the best for FPSes, but for what it is worth, the N64 controller seems suited to console FPSes.

Diablo II 1.10 made a lot of melee character builds obsolete. Trying to keep melee characters alive in Hell difficulty takes some patience and actual planning (i.e. separating the enemy packs and engaging them one-on-one) instead of blindly wailing on all of them at once.

I liked Deus Ex. And I thought Pokemon was good also, even though the whole craze died down a couple years ago. I think that Quake was probably overated, because even though it was fun and I liked it, Doom was just seemed to have something to it that made it still better. Also Halflife was great, but I couldn't see how it was unique. I think that the Dark Forces series and the Tony Hawk series are probably the best series out there. Everyone of thier games has been good, they don't just throw out crap to keep fanboys happy.

@Ichor Your such a meanie. I liked undying.. =(

Yea.. Halo is my main choice, even though I throughly enjoyed the game, the hype did kill it and left me feeling very hollow after finishing it.

The entire Resident Evil series. It's just as not as good or addictive as the gaming press has made it seem to be. I personally hated the stiff, robotic controls and the funky camera angles.

Quake 3, definately. Basicaly, it's just Zdaemon with better graphics and it's not as fun.

Tomb Raider was also pretty horrible.

Then there are a ton of console games that everyone says are good, but I play them and they turn out to be crap. A short list is:

Final Fantasy 1
Final Fantasy 7
Super Mario Brothers 3
Mortal Kombat series
Street Fighter series
that new Zelda game
Metroid Prime
Resident Evil series

I agree with Tomb Raider being on Dan's list. I played it and didn't think it was any different than the 345,677 other 3d action games I've played.
Oh, and how could anyone forget Doom2?