Find results in...

Political correctness is...  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Political correctness is...

• destroying the country/world
    • annoying and pointless
    • annoying, but at times, needed.
    • Is great.

If you mean being P.C. is being a model citizen, I think it's a little narrow-minded. Imagine all of us being 'model citizens'. Would we even be fans of an ultra-violent game?

Lord FlatHead said:
Define "political correctness".

uhhh... I found this, but I'm sure somebody can sum it up better (with out mixing there own views on the matter)

from what I understand, it's what drives such things as the seperation of church and state (such as putting the smake down on pryes in public schools and pissing off the sodimy laws.) and anti discrimity laws (stopping a new CEO from suddly firing all his female workers). However when it gets out of hand, it can turn into a form of cencership, or 1984-like newspeak (he's not black, he's aboriginal, Ban violent videogames)

I did my best to be balanced here...

Edit: I nearly called it extream librialism, but that's not quite right.

So this is where you water down the truth because you have the right as a white, conservative christian?

"No son, you're not black you're african american? Hmmmn, still feel segragated? But how? The term I used to define you as different from me, the Elite, is much kinder now, much more politically correct. Feel better about this yet, son?"

Personaly, I think it's pretty retarded. I mean, I don't care if someone calls me a cracker or a kraut or a whitey or whatever. If they do it in a joking manner, I'll laugh. If they do it in an insulting manner, I'll ignore them because they're probably just a confrontational jerkwad.

Also, this isnt extreme liberalism at all. I am an extreme liberal and it kind of pisses me off. We shouldn't be told what we should and should not say. That's a violation of freedom of speech. Basicaly, having to speak in a PC manner is a form of Newspeak as Red Pants said. Though on the other hand, I think we should all accept everyone for who they are, and if someone continously speaks in a racist or sexist manner then they should accept the consequences of their actions.

I don't understand why they started called deaf people hearing impaired and blind people visually impaired. Talk to a blind or deaf person, and they will refer to themselves as being blind or deaf.

worthless, and often insulting to people it is trying to be gentle with (for instance, in the nw teachers are instructed to use "gay" or "queer" rather than "homosexual" as the latter is considered degrading; it is oftentimes applied incorrectly to bisexuals).

sargebaldy said:

worthless, and often insulting to people it is trying to be gentle with (for instance, in the nw teachers are instructed to use "gay" or "queer" rather than "homosexual" as the latter is considered degrading; it is oftentimes applied incorrectly to bisexuals).

What? Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Well anyway, one thing I find kind of funny is that they have to change the word for retard every 10 years or so because it inevitibly becomes an insult. "Moron", "idiot", "mongoloid", and "retard" are all out, and now "special" even seems to be turning into an insult. I wonder what they'll come up with next?

My mother says I'm special. It makes me feel really good.

I personally prefer it if people stay away from euphemisms and similar doubletalk. The principle is there anyway, and I'd just prefer if people said what they thought. PC goes further than this though, and is actually a kind of expected social standard - which discourages people from openly saying what they think. And personally, even if a person thinks an absolute load of shit born by an anorexic brain, I'd still prefer for them to be able to voice it out loud.

Danarchy said:

What? Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

it's not stupid if they prefer those other terms. and how often do you hear gays calling themselves homosexual anyway? it's always "gay rights" and more recently "queer rights", how often have you heard "homosexual rights"?