Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

The Passion of the Christ

Going to The Passion of the Christ?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Going to The Passion of the Christ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

fodders said:

The STATE of Rome was Italian.

At this point in Time Rome owns almost all of Europe. There was no Italy yet. There were italians living in the areas, but it the Roman Empire that was in charge, thus it was the Romans. The Italians were a different group of people, who spoke a different language.

The seccond coming of Jesus? YES. He's playing for the Red Sox now. Seriously, he's been spotted at spring training in Florida! This movie really oppened doors.

Scuba Steve said:

Why is it "The Passion of THE Christ" ? Is he now a definite article we need to distinguish from? Wouldn't "The Passon of Christ" make more sense. We are not likely to confuse Christ with any other Christ. Unless christ is a title I'm unfamiliar with... like sailor, in which case "The Passion of the Sailor" would be correct... since it's defining a specific noun. But I've never heard of paul Christ or Tom Christ as professions or titles before.

Well for one, "Christ" was not His last Name. It is a title of sorts. Heh. It is a term that refers to the "Messiah" or the "Annointed One". His Name was Jesus of Nazereth, I doubt people were calling him JC back then.

That's crazy. The Passion of the Christ now officially has a death toll.

At any rate, the heart attack story is cool. This ain't your CCD class BibleTales cartoon, lady!

Numbermind you're an idiot.

PumpkinSmasher said:

At this point in Time Rome owns almost all of Europe. There was no Italy yet. There were italians living in the areas, but it the Roman Empire that was in charge, thus it was the Romans. The Italians were a different group of people, who spoke a different language.

An ancient writing states, “Italia (Italy) is so named because it contains itali; that is bovines. In fact, the cattle of the people known as Italis are called itali”.

The region, therefore, became known as the “terra degli Itali”, or the land of the Italis.

The word Italia dates from the 4th century B.C.

It was first used in the South and later spread to the North as the Romans proceeded to conquer the country. Official recognition of the name occurred in 42 B.C., during the rule of the Emperor Octavian.

insertwackynamehere said:

It was a Roman spear that pierced Christs side, and the Romans crucified him.

According to the Bible, Pilate gave the general public (almost entirely Hebrew) the choice to free either Jesus, or Barabbas, a hardened criminal. They chose Barabbas, and when Pilate asked what they should do with Jesus, they demanded he be crucified. Pilate insisted that Jesus had done nothing against the law, but they continued to insist that he be killed. So it was Roman soldiers who physically killed him, but he was for all intents and purposes condemned by the Jews.

http://bostondirtdogs.com/2004/JD_2.25.jpg

Hah, not even ridiculous amounts of hair can sneak Johnny Damon past me. That concussion in the ALCS must have really affected his thinking, though, I really can't think of a Major League team that actually allows players to wear their hair like that.

Kid Airbag said:

Hah, not even ridiculous amounts of hair can sneak Johnny Damon past me. That concussion in the ALCS must have really affected his thinking, though, I really can't think of a Major League team that actually allows players to wear their hair like that.

Heh, he's only here for two more years, then he's gone. He's overpayed. Jesus or not.

fodders said:

And Lord of the Rings was fimed in New Zealand, not middle Earth. :P

And Frasier was filmed in Los Angeles, not Seattle.

Yes, it's scary.

Wewease Woger!

***SPOILER***

JESUS DIES!

Heh heh.

Fredrik said:
Maybe on DVD so I can skip the most disturbing parts.

Wuss.

I agree. It's important to see just how horrible it was.

I saw it. It was alright.

In all honesty, I couldn't have mustered that movie up in my imagination.

EDIT: movie = movie imagery

Man, why does everyone want to see this dumb movie so badly? It looks pretty bad to me. I mean, onece you see one Jesus flick you've seen them all, and I've seen at least two.

Danarchy said:

Man, why does everyone want to see this dumb movie so badly? It looks pretty bad to me. I mean, onece you see one Jesus flick you've seen them all, and I've seen at least two.

heh, I actually kinda see your point. Although, not having seen a Jesus flick before, and having seen this just tonight, I must say I thought the movie was pretty good. Seeing the guy stick the Lance of Longinus (sp) in the side of him at the end makes me want to re-watch Evangelion now.

What do I think this movie needs? A scene with Jesus in a black robe and shades taking on a bunch of demons dressed like Smiths in an alley in Hell as it rains drops of blood or something while bulletiming.

Just watched it, and its safe to say no one can deny its power.

I'm moved beyond words, I highly recommend it.

I saw the movie yesterday. It is quite violent, but it is overall a great and moving film. I am a christain, but i think everyone should go see it. It tells the story almost exactly as the bible does, but as with all movies there are a few added scenes for effect, but they dont take away from the main story-line. The flash-backs are inserted at great points in the movie. The whipping was horrible, especially the one with the glass when it got caught and yanked out a chunk of skin. It is hard to describ in words the feeling you get after seeing the movie. It is a very powerful movie and Mel Gibson did a great job of telling the story. Just look at how much it has made - 76 mill over the weekend, 117 in the first 5 days.

Maybe.

Why?

Imagination anyone?

Imagination doesn't nearly cut it, dude.

Yeah, you definately need your authorized troll title back. In any event, if your imagination is as mad skilled as you claim it to be, then there's no difference between seeing it in your mind or on film, now is there?

I couldn't imagine what the horror would be like, but I can imagine how much of it there'd be. That's often enough.

Ct_red_pants said:

People watch movies to be entertained right? Maybe Fredrik doesn’t find savage beating entertaining.

That too, though I won't leave final judgement on how entertaining it is until I've seen it (if I do).

Not in this case. But whatever. And I wouldn't quite call this movie pure entertainment . . .

Grimm said:

Not in this case.

So, this is worse than anything I can imagine. Then I'll imagine: the worst I can imagine and a little more.

Trivial.

Just watched the movie last night... It is a very, very compelling movie and one that (in my eyes) can't be watched for entertainment purposes... I found no entertainment in watching my savior scouraged, beaten, and ultimately crucified... :( I am a christian, and its hard to believe what we all put him through... He died for our sins and it was in a way that couldn't have been fathomed... In his last 12 hours here on Earth, he went through more than most of us will in our lifetime... I too agree that the scouraging in this movie is one of the worst I've seen... Especially when the "cat of nine tails" gets stuck in his side, and rips a massive chunk of flesh from his body... Then theres the part where the torturers(sp) hit him in the top of his head with the same device....

In a recent interview with Mel Gibson, he stated that the only part of the movie he actually played in, was when they nailed him to the cross... His was the hand that nailed the first nail... He stated that he's as guilty as the rest of us for the crucifixtion of JESUS CHRIST, and he had to take part in the nailing of JESUS's hands. My hat goes off to Mel, and I'm very, very glad that people now have an unsanitized reinactment of the scouraging, beating and ultimately Crucifixtion of JESUS CHRIST.... As horrible as it was, we all needed to see that.

I completely and totally recommend this movie to anyone and everyone that reads this post.... I can GUARANTEE that you'll come out having gained something... Just make sure you bring the kleenex, and plenty of it...

Thanks Mel, for the best portrayal of JESUS's death, so far... And thank YOU, our mighty SAVIOUR, for taking the sins of all that have, and will ever live.... For three days after this horrible ordeal, he ROSE again!!!! Leaving only his angel to guard his clothes in the Tomb... :)

Check the movie out... I can't say anything else.

Richie

Ct_red_pants said:

This movie isn't going to win Christianity any new members.

Maybe not, but it'll bolster the faith or appreciation of the existing ones.