Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathbringer

"Crap" games that you actually liked

Nick Perrin said:

First of all, strife is really good, and it was revolutionary to an extent, so why doesn't anybody know about it?

Poor marketing is usually the reason good games get low sales figures. Of course Strife also happened to come out around the same time as Duke 3D and the original Quake...

Rad Gravity for the NES. I never figured out how to finish it though.
Powerslide: I liked it, but I never got to finish it because it doesn't seem to work on my newer computer.
Redline: same thing, same reason.
Midnight Magic for the Atari 2600. I guess back then it wasn't crap...
Interstate '82: It was just incomplete, it dissapointed a lot of people, but I liked it anyways.
Master Blaster for the NES. I just can't explain it...

Lutrov71 said:

Quake 2 actually got 9/10 on Gamespot.

Which is why mentioning it in this thread is silly.

I take this opportunity to deviate a bit from the topic and instead mention a very shitty game everyone else likes: Need For Speed Underground.

How true! It really isn't that good. It's just people love to have the souping-up abilities as if they could ever actually make a pimped-out car.

And even so they're terribly limited when compared to Gran Turismo's or even Porsche Unleashed's.

Micky Mousecapades......its shittier than all hell (made for original nintindo), but it gives me somethin' to do for a few minutes if theres nothing on TV worth watching. :P

dsm said:

Which is why mentioning it in this thread is silly.

Yeah, but like I said in another thread, it seems like nobody likes Quake 2 these days. They all seem to think its a shitty outdated FPS with bad gamplay. It may be outdated, but it's gameplay is fucking amazing. Best deathmatch in any game.

I loved Primal Rage, but most people panned it.

It ruled, you really needed at 6-button controller for the proper experience though

Danarchy said:

Yeah, but like I said in another thread, it seems like nobody likes Quake 2 these days. They all seem to think its a shitty outdated FPS with bad gamplay. It may be outdated, but it's gameplay is fucking amazing. Best deathmatch in any game.

I wouldn't go as far as calling its gameplay "fucking amazing", but I do like its gameplay and I agree with you - Quake 2 rocks.

Still, it got good reviews back then and it was well-known (I even believe it was popular among gamers back then) and I've interpreted this thread as a thread about games that got mediocre/bad reviews and that the public knew/knows little about - not exactly characteristics you can apply to Quake 2.

Oh yeah and here's another game which I feel could fit in this thread: Warhammer: Dark Omen. My brother got a warez copy of it and even though I wasn't interested at first (I tried its predecessor Shadow of the Horned Rat and it sucked) I soon got hooked for a while.

I grew really tired of it since (lost interest in strategy games in general), but still, I definitely recommend this game to anyone who likes strategy games and Warhammer.

1. E.T. The Extra Terrestial for Atari 2600
Forget anyone who doesn't like this game. It's all about timing. It's actually easy to beat if you have your timing down pat.
2. Friday The 13th for the NES
Another fave of mine everyone hates because it's too hard for them. It's awesome.
3. All the Clock Tower games
I hear people talk a lot of smack about the Clock Tower games because they're not violent shoot em ups like Resident Evil but rather logical puzzle solving games where you have to hide from your enemy rather than confront them head on. I hate those people. They need to grow up.

Interstate 82',Interstate 76,Runabout 2 and Warzone 2100 are all awesome games.

And I do agree,NFS:U sucked,If you wan't a game like that but much,much,much more realistic.Try Tokyo Extreme Racer 3 for the PS2.

Piezo said:

Master Blaster for the NES. I just can't explain it...

Umm, it's called Blaster Master. And actually, this game is considered a classic.

As for my picks... The Hydlide series, which IMO are the most misunderstood games ever to be released. I actually wrote a review of the first one for my web page:
http://www.angelfire.com/comics/nes_star/CQuests/Reviews/Hydlide.html

I could go on forever really about good games that are considered crap or are overlooked, but I won't.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Always wanted to play it, never could afford it. Now, I can't find it or afford it.

http://www.rochnet.net/acatalog/Home_Page_Mystery___Puzzle_Adventures_R_S_77.html

It costs $15.00.

OK, a game widely regarded as crap by nearly everyone who played it is Conqueror AD 1086. It was a lot like the old game Defender of the Crown. However, it was one of my favorite games at the time I played it.

Let's see, there's also Battle Arena Toshinden 1 and 2. Most people regard these both as pretty crappy fighting games, and I agree that they aren't spectacular. However, I loved them both.

Also, I liked Final Fantasy 8, which most people hated. I don't know, but to me, it was a great game. I did encounter a horrendous bug that caused me to restart the game, but that was mostly because I tried to do a side quest that wasn't supposed to be available until the fourth disc on disc 3. Other than that, I had fun with it.

Can't think of any others right now.

alexz721 said:

OK, a game widely regarded as crap by nearly everyone who played it is Conqueror AD 1086. It was a lot like the old game Defender of the Crown. However, it was one of my favorite games at the time I played it.

This rings a loud bell. I think I used to like this one a lot... my friend had it. If it's what I'm thinking of, you actually switched to a first person perspective when taking over a castle or fort and went around slaughtering everyone.

I'm nt sure Final Fantasy 8 should be in this thread either. There's in fact a large divide of opinion about that game--half the people who played it liked it, sometimes even to the point of calling it "The best RPG ever made." The other half hated it. (I personally consider it terribly flawed, yet another of Square's attempts to do something new that backfired).

ToXiCFLUFF said:

This rings a loud bell. I think I used to like this one a lot... my friend had it. If it's what I'm thinking of, you actually switched to a first person perspective when taking over a castle or fort and went around slaughtering everyone.

Yup, that's the game. I recently downloadeded it, and I still enjoy it, even if just for nostalgic purposes.

DoomDiz said:

Micky Mousecapades......its shittier than all hell (made for original nintindo), but it gives me somethin' to do for a few minutes if theres nothing on TV worth watching. :P

Yes, I liked that game and I actually beat the woods level back in the day but then I would just use the Game Genie and beat the whole game. I think my mom beat it without cheating.

JamesEightBitStar said:

Umm, it's called Blaster Master. And actually, this game is considered a classic.

Yeah, I bought it for $4 a couple years ago and I think it is just really weird. Heh, if you want a good review for it:
http://www.flyingomelette.com/oddities.html
http://www.flyingomelette.com/mmvsbm.html

Numbermind said:

I still think that game is notorious for having a save feature that DIDN'T WORK... love it, though.

See: Wrecking Crew

I'm pretty sure only a few people have heard of it but Ultimate Spin Doctor was pretty fun.