Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Disorder

Wikipedia

I enjoy this site alot and it taught me lots of new things. But what I don't understand is that I don't see any 'vandalism' at all. People can edit everything, yet there's no or hardly any misuse of that. How come Wikipedia actually works well? Is there some kind of system implemented that I don't know of?

It works because there's always lots of people who track the recent changes list. There was some serious trouble a few days ago though, someone had written a crapflooding script that was nearly impossible to block because it used a seemingly infinite list of proxy servers. The site had to be shut down for a few hours.

I've done over 7000 edits in the last 4 months myself. Who else here has a Wikipedia account? (I already know of sargebaldy, Cyb, Schneelocke, Bloodshedder and Insomniak.)

Fredrik said:

I've done over 7000 edits in the last 4 months myself.

holy shit..

They rely on a vast army of volunteers to clean up the shit which is constantly spewed around their site by assholes with nothing better to do, and thus maintain a Singapore-like facade of perfection and cleanliness while behind the scenes people are paddled for chewing gum and executed for selling crack.

I just registered under the name Lord FlatHead. I have a topic or two that I'm thinking of adding, though I'll have to do a decent write-up of them first. Wikipedia = cool.

Part of the reason that it doesnt get wrecked is probably because some of us will fix any errors we see ;)

I havent wikied in a while though.

I've been on there quite a while (profile), really vandalism doesn't have a very long life expectancy since there's always a lot of people looking at the most recent changes. Since the vast majority of users are at least attempting to improve the wiki the few that aren't can't have much of an impact.

Fredrik said:

It works because there's always lots of people who track the recent changes list. There was some serious trouble a few days ago though, someone had written a crapflooding script that was nearly impossible to block because it used a seemingly infinite list of proxy servers. The site had to be shut down for a few hours.

I've done over 7000 edits in the last 4 months myself. Who else here has a Wikipedia account? (I already know of sargebaldy, Cyb, Schneelocke, Bloodshedder and Insomniak.)

I've got an account there under Danarchy, but I haven't written much because rarely do I find anything that isn't more detailed than what I already know, unless its trivial or I can't find any facts to back it up. Even so, I'm not too good at being impartial. I'm more of an essay guy myself, so I keep my contributions to a minimum. Why am I writing all this?