Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zombieribcage

alien 6

DoomDan said:

How the Hell did this thread instantly turn into a Half-Life/Doom Debate???

I'm innocent. He shouldn't had answered!

NiGHTMARE said:

I won't admit it because it's not true; I was hugely disappointed by a lot of Doom 2's maps when I first played it. Remember, there had already been a lot of (for the time) high quality wads released for Doom 1 (f.ex Slaughter Until Death), so there were plenty of comparisons available besides the original Doom 1 levels.

Okay, it's 1994 and id has released a new Doom game but it doesn't excite Nightmare because he's already seen the best the Doom engine has to offer, he played some doom1 wads that outshine the level design, despite all the new gameplay elements provided by the new monsters. I'll buy that for a dollar.

Fredrik said:

what are you doing on this internet doom forum

Sorry, since when was Doomworld only covering Doom 2, and the original levels at that? I'm to take it that all discussion of Doom 1 and Doom 3, and any add-ons for the three games is no longer allowed?

Seriously, just because I dislike most (note the word "most" - as I said, I like Romero's D2 levels) of the original levels of Doom 2 doesn't mean I hate everything Doom-related. That kind of logic is simply nonsense :(. Besides, I've seen posts by plenty of other people who think Doom 2's levels are a steaming pile of crap compared to those of Doom 1.

Use3D said:

Okay, it's 1994 and id has released a new Doom game but it doesn't excite Nightmare because he's already seen the best the Doom engine has to offer, he played some doom1 wads that outshine the level design, despite all the new gameplay elements provided by the new monsters. I'll buy that for a dollar.

Although a lot of people in this thread clearly seem to think otherwise, there are other levels of quality besides "teh bestest evar!!!" and "teh sh1tz0rzz!!!!11". Just because better maps than most of those in Doom 2 existed, doesn't mean those better maps were the best levels that could ever be created.

And new gameplay elements mean nothing if the majority of the levels don't effectively utilize said elements, now do they?

NiGHTMARE said:

Sorry, since when was Doomworld only covering Doom 2, and the original levels at that? I'm to take it that all discussion of Doom 1 and Doom 3, and any add-ons for the three games is no longer allowed?

Er, either you edited your post or I misread it.

NiGHTMARE said:

And new gameplay elements mean nothing if the majority of the levels don't effectively utilize said elements, now do they?

And you were able to ascertain this at the time Doom2 was released huh? Sure pal, whatever you say.

Fredrik: oh, you were replying to the one about demos? I re-worded it since I sounded a lot harsher than I meant.

Use3D: Believe it or not, the majority of players are actually capable of telling whether they enjoy the gameplay of a level or not, even the first time they play it. I know, I know. Quite amazing, isn't it!

Using just the most basic grasp of logic, if I don't enjoy the gameplay of a level, that means I don't like the gameplay of the level, and most people would prefer levels with gameplay that they do like to levels with gameplay that they don't like (well, unless they're more interested in architecture). Of course I don't know you, so perhaps you're different in this regards?

NiGHTMARE said:
Far from it. If you ask me, caring about demos is simply missing at least half of what playing is... FUN.

This belief possibly marks why you like Half-life more. I've never had more fun playing DOOM than whilst recording (even though I'm no pro myself.) It's so much more exhilarating and engrossing than casual play.

Danarchy said:

The fact that Ridley Scott made Bladerunner completely absolves him from any shitty movies he's made. Such a brilliant movie.

I agree. Every element of that film is brilliant. It's just to bad that no one makes movies with such atmosphere anymore. The music is also a big part of the movie...Vangelis...damn good artist.

Honestly, they shouldn't have gone past the third movie. ok, she died in a pool of molten lead, SHE IS DEAD DON"T BRING HER BACK. END THE XENOMORPHIC MOLESTATION. now.

However, if they could manage a prequel, that'd be cool.

ravage said:

Err, didn't they just do that with AVP?

NiGHTMARE said:

That doesn't mean there can't be movies that suck even more arse, like Gladiator. Also, it's spelled Kombat, not Combat.

Like I care how it's spelled. The game was so shitty it made the movie look good. Also, Gladiator was an okay movie. Not great, but not nearly as bad as Mortal Kombat.

Anything by George A. Romero, and the first Evil Dead.

Dude, WTF? I agree that the first Evil Dead wasn't that great, but Night of the Living Dead and Day of the Dead (never saw the original Dawn). Of all the zombie movies I've seen, those are some of the best. I think only the new Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days Later can compare to them.

MagnuM said:

I agree. Every element of that film is brilliant. It's just to bad that no one makes movies with such atmosphere anymore. The music is also a big part of the movie...Vangelis...damn good artist.

Yes, very much so. Vangelis did a wonderful job, and I still don't see how that movie was made without them creating an entire futuristic city to film it in. I'm not saying that the effects were so amazing that they surpass the realism of movies made today (though I suppose that could be debatable for many movies made these days), but the atmosphere and environment melded so well with the plot and dragged you into the setting that it made you believe the place actualy existed. I think the only sci-fi movie to ever match that level since was The Fifth Element.

ravage said:

Honestly, they shouldn't have gone past the third movie. ok, she died in a pool of molten lead, SHE IS DEAD DON"T BRING HER BACK. END THE XENOMORPHIC MOLESTATION. now.

I was skeptic about AR when it first came out as well, but it's actually a pretty good film and much better than Alien 3 (which isn't a hard thing to accomplish).

Mixed-opinion-bag-u-like!

I loved Alien3 (with the sole exception of the botched continuity at the start, what with the eggs on the Sulaco and all). Moody, dark, and a touch paranoid. Brian McGann was excellent as Golic.

I don't know. Alien3 had that same feeling of horror and desparation the other two movies had. The fourth---didn't.

Spike said:

I loved Alien3 (with the sole exception of the botched continuity at the start, what with the eggs on the Sulaco and all). Moody, dark, and a touch paranoid. Brian McGann was excellent as Golic.

I totally agree. The atmosphere made in that movie is pretty memorable.

Have you seen the director's cut of A3, that came in the Alien Quadrilogy? If you liked the original, the DC is just as good, if not more.

I loved Alien for it's horror element, and Aliens for it's action element, and how both movies were well done. Don't remember Alien3 or AR at all though.

When I heard of AVP, I was reminded of an earlier script I got online which I thought good since it was 1) in space and 2) had marines, which IMO ment it'd be similar to aliens. Then the movie came out and I saw it. Complaints (All IMHO):

My friend said Bishop was in it. Which, of course, I thought ment the android, so I figured that'd play into it. So imagine my disapointment when the character is merely a sick, dying, pathetic old man with a easter-egg like reference to robotics.

The main character is a 1) Black 2) Woman. I doubt Sigourney Weaver was chosen for the role because it's P.C., but nowadays that just reaks of 'Oh, we needed our token nigger. Hell, let's make her a woman!' I'm not racist, or sexist, but if you're going to have a black, or a woman, in a movie, don't do it for the sake of making all the fucking liberals happy.

The characters just sucked. I was kinda hoping everybody would die.

The plot is assinine. Playing on all those ancient myths by adding in the Predators and Xenomorphs is just stupid. It reaks of unoriginality (we've had this same BS before, like in StarGate, which I did enjoy for some reason) and leads for a boring time. And, IIRC, the acid from the Xenomorphs would have burnt through her face and killed her right then and there (remember Alien?)

The action scenes sucked ass. I felt like I was watching wrestling when the predator was swinging the Alien around. Uninspired, unoriginal, boring.

I didn't like Anderson's other films I've seen (MK and RE), though I haven't seen EH yet. I hear it's good.

My girlfriend and I had sex after the movie. The sex sucked, but not as much as the movie.

ALL IN MY OPINION.

So do I hope for another Alien? Only if Cameron or Scott work on it, honestly. Even then, the francise isn't what it used to be, so I'd take that with a grain of salt, hope for the best, and expect the worst.

Why is Hollywood is ruining all the Comic-to-Movie, Book-to-Movie, VG-to-Movie conversions? Although TMNT was a good movie IMO.

Relica Religia said:

Have you seen the director's cut of A3, that came in the Alien Quadrilogy? If you liked the original, the DC is just as good, if not more.

Yeah, i've got the quadrilogy. The other prisoners are given more depth, and the scene with Golic escaping from the infirmary and releasing the alien was just brilliant.

Spike said:

Yeah, i've got the quadrilogy. The other prisoners are given more depth, and the scene with Golic escaping from the infirmary and releasing the alien was just brilliant.

I didn't like the fact that the alien coming from the dog was changed. IIRC the ending was altered as well.

The original plotline indicated the alien as something much larger than seen in the previous films (due to the massive ox host, allegedly). However, the budget was reduced and they had to make do with a smaller model. At this point, the dog (named Spike, heh) was introduced to the plotline to justify the smaller model.

If you read the book, written by Alan Dean Foster (which was released around the same time as the movie and long before the directors cut), you'll see that it includes the Oxburster scene, and a distinct lack of Ripleys chestburstyness at the end.

ScareCrow said:

The main character is a 1) Black 2) Woman. I doubt Sigourney Weaver was chosen for the role because it's P.C., but nowadays that just reaks of 'Oh, we needed our token nigger. Hell, let's make her a woman!' I'm not racist, or sexist, but if you're going to have a black, or a woman, in a movie, don't do it for the sake of making all the fucking liberals happy.

UHHH...

Quast said:

You have never even seen Aliens? Wtf? You need to go out and get yourself cultured...go rent it at least.

Damn boy...

Damn straight - Aliens is a goddamn piece of Doom history! It's imo the best of the two first Alien movies (if not thee best), simply because it reminds me so much of Doom.

S1lent quoted Quast's post as:
You have never even seen Aliens? -vulgarity- You need to go out and get yourself cultured...

-more vulgarity-

I don't understand that reaction at all. I've seen far more vulgar replies than that.

Bah, Joss Whedon is a useless punter. The first seasons of Buffy were good, "Everybody loves Xander" will always be one of my all time favority TV episodes, and there was plenty of good material in Angel but Whedon's contribution wasn't that impressive at all. His action sucked, and after the first couple years Buffy turned into a cry-baby whine-a-thon. It was just embarassing. Angel was for the most part good but was mostly helmed and written by others. Firefly had huge potential and showed what Joss is good at: dialogue. Joss just can't write the really cool action stuff, he doesn't have it in his blood. The way he ended Buffy was utterly attrocious, a total cop out. His "vagina-envy" was **********ly apparent in most of the later episodes of Buffy, and I have to say his idea of female empowerment was pretty dumb. It's extremely obvious that he grew up rich in a home where writing for TV was the family business as he just never lived in the real world long enough to get a real grasp on it. Season after season the characters just wept and complained their way to the brainless climax of the series. The premise was awesome, Joss just didn't have the talent to hold it together and carry through.

His work in movies has been marginal at best, with Aliens Resurrection being the pinnacle of his complete and total lame-itude.

Hell, he's even had the balls to say that fanfic writers are a bunch of losers who couldn't hack it in his line of work.

So basically: I don't like Joss Whedon. :)

ScareCrow said:

You're fucking blind.

Man, I just got the Alien3 book from a comic-and-hobby shop a week ago. Just finished it a couple nights ago.

The book is very faithful to the DC of A3, with a couple new things that I thought should have been incorporated into the movie.....though Clemon's and Dillon's deaths in the book were pretty lacking.

Relica Religia said:

Clemon's and Dillon's deaths in the book were pretty lacking.

I always thought that Clemens was an underused character - but having said that, the writers probably wanted to add to Ripley's despair by killing the only guy on Fiorina that she came close to trusting.

Though not before he got his end away with her :P