Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Uncle 80

Dos emulators?

Hello. I was recently looking through some long-forgotten stuff lying on my HD, including some tools for Doom editing as well as some old games from the DOS era.

My question is: Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a "MS-DOS emulator" that may help me get these old programs up 'n running?

Preferrably compatible with 98 or XP...

Thanks.

Uncle 80 said:
Preferrably compatible with 98 or XP...

You need a DOS emulator on Windows 98?

I know I do. Later versions of Win98 apparently have very limited DOS support. I still can't get sound to work, even with emulators.

myk said:

You need a DOS emulator on Windows 98?

The 'DOS' that comes with WIN98, at least my version, isn't at all compatible with programs that used to work fine on both 6.22 and 7.0, it seems.. Run-time errors and nasty lock-ups everywhere, no matter how much i disable sound, make fancy PIFs or boot the computer in 'DOS' mode.

It's most likely due to what gargoylol said. Sound cards, video cards or mice (or other hardware; even some software) specifically made for Windows may cause problems in Windows 98's DOS. I say this because I use many old DOS programs (from the early 90s) while running full Windows 98, without issues.

With Windows 98, modification of the config.sys file is all you should need to do to get most DOS games to work.

alexz721 said:

With Windows 98, modification of the config.sys file is all you should need to do to get most DOS games to work.

I haven't had much success by changing either the autoexec or config files, any tips?

Uncle 80 said:

I haven't had much success by changing either the autoexec or config files, any tips?

Here's what my config.sys file for Windows 98 looks like:

BUFFERS=30
FILES=60
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM

Apply those lines and restart your computer. It should enable most games to work. I have some more tips if that doesn't work.