Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Cool technology crap

You know, I don't think .50cal shells or high explosives kill people fast enough. That's the problem with military capability these days; we need to maximize quantity and speed of death without actually blowing up the entire fucking world.

I'm sure your friendly neighborhood terrorist or burglar will find these quite useful too, eventually.

Comiclez said:

Personally, I think nothing is more deadly than a Wombat-Launcher.

To the wombat or the person that gets hit with it?

Great, the military lost a toy. If they would be a little more careful with those we wouldn't keep your neighborhood terrorist so well armed.

HobbsTiger1 said:

Great, the military lost a toy. If they would be a little more careful with those we wouldn't keep your neighborhood terrorist so well armed.

Hey retard, did you even bother reading the article?

Nightmare Doom said:

I wonder there's going to be a real Rail Gun, Plasma Rifle, Gravity Gun, and even real BFG 90000?

Sure.

Nightmare Doom said:

I betcha that the Military is also playing games like Doom, Quake, and Half Life for new weapon ideas...

Marines Doom.

Nightmare Doom said:

I betcha that the Military is also playing games like Doom, Quake, and Half Life for new weapon ideas...

I think watching Star Trek or other SciFi shows would give them better ideas... ;)

there is actually a rail gun type weapon in development for the police force, except it won't split you in half. I think it's gonna be kind of a heat beam that nearly dehydrates the target immediately. Gonna be used for riot situations or suspects resisting arrest.

Snarboo said:

To the wombat or the person that gets hit with it?

A little of both, see it kinda works like this:

A large Cannon tube is mounted on a traditional firing mechanism, then, the large "shell" containing the Wombat is inserted, pull trigger, fire Wombat, insert new shell.

From the article: "What I'm looking for is a way to shoot everybody, and they're all OK."

Oh great, so it's shoot first, ask questions later. I can imagine what it would be like if TSA had this stuff... "OMG! an Arab! *ZAP*"

Nightmare Doom said:

not anymore. name one original weapon since quake and doom. every single game has the same weapons! chaingun/minigun, plasma rifle, shotgun, pistol, railgun, etc

Yeah, because that weapon is really original. The only reason Gordon needs a gravity gun is because he's obviously not capable of throwing anything farther than a few inches. :P

baronofhell said:

there is actually a rail gun type weapon in development for the police force, except it won't split you in half. I think it's gonna be kind of a heat beam that nearly dehydrates the target immediately. Gonna be used for riot situations or suspects resisting arrest.

That's not a rail gun.

A rail gun is a kind of linear electrical motor that propels a small projectile forward, much like an ordinary gun, but using electricity rather than explosive force.

The weapon you descripe is the microwave riot gun that cooks the victim's skin causing severe pain and minor burns.

Little Faith said:

That's not a rail gun.

A rail gun is a kind of linear electrical motor that propels a small projectile forward, much like an ordinary gun, but using electricity rather than explosive force.

The weapon you descripe is the microwave riot gun that cooks the victim's skin causing severe pain and minor burns.

From what I've heard there is more than one type of rail gun, the traditional kind is a simple metallic rod and a coil, I.E. a solenoid, like a door bell. You can make it more powerful by using multiple coils, and firing them at just the right time. The most powerful ones are a little bit different, but I'm not really clear on how. The projectile can be sent by one of those things hundreds of miles, and I heard something about the projectile going so fast that it becomes energy, thus having the effect of the Farsight from Perfect Dark.

These kind of weapons scare me, I dunno about you guys but getting microwaved is not very good for anyone or anything alive for a long ways, they clearly disrupt your cells and cause cancer over a period of time. I think those kinds of weapons are 'sick'. This talk about being nailed by one and haveing no health effects later on is pure bullshit and they know it. Cell phones are a prime candidate for this and there quite weak compared to what were talking here.
I realise that DU causes birth defects, cancer, and organ failure also but we dont need another sick weapon out there. DU should be banned undoubtably, they should stick to tungsten.

Tyockell said:

These kind of weapons scare me, I dunno about you guys but getting microwaved is not very good for anyone or anything alive for a long ways, they clearly disrupt your cells and cause cancer over a period of time. I think those kinds of weapons are 'sick'. This talk about being nailed by one and haveing no health effects later on is pure bullshit and they know it. Cell phones are a prime candidate for this and there quite weak compared to what were talking here.
I realise that DU causes birth defects, cancer, and organ failure also but we dont need another sick weapon out there. DU should be banned undoubtably, they should stick to tungsten.

I think this must be a nickname, it can't use real microwaves or there would be internal brain damage almost instantly. My guess is that they are calling it that for it seemed effect. I hope, plus the gun would radioactive and harm probably the user as well. most likely they are waves incapable of penetrating human skin rather than actual microwaves which cook things from the inside-out.

After all the sunstrike doesn't literally reproduce lightning, so they aren't all literal, if we could successfully do that, our modern power plants would be obsolete.

I'm also pretty sure when that guy was making the "shoot everybody..."comment, he was referring back to the "stun feature".

insertwackynamehere said:

not anymore. name one original weapon since quake and doom. every single game has the same weapons! chaingun/minigun, plasma rifle, shotgun, pistol, railgun, etc

The Pipe Bomb, Laser Trip Mines, Freeze Ray, and Shrink Ray in Duke Nukem 3D; the Hornet gun and Snarks in Half-life; the Barnacle, Shock Roach, and Displacer Cannon in the HL: Opposing Force add-on; almost every single weapon in Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force; countless weapons in the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series (the most obvious being the Lightsabre); the Soul Cube in Doom 3; the Artifact in D3: Resurrection of Evil.

Xanthier said:

I think this must be a nickname, it can't use real microwaves or there would be internal brain damage almost instantly. My guess is that they are calling it that for it seemed effect. I hope, plus the gun would radioactive and harm probably the user as well. most likely they are waves incapable of penetrating human skin rather than actual microwaves which cook things from the inside-out.

Microwaves are highly directional, good enough to pinpoint specific parts of the anatomy. They cause pain by heating water molecules in the victims skin tissue.

There are issues of long term damage with these weapons, some tissue can be pernamently damaged (especially the eyes).

Regarding railguns there is a good article on the wikepedia.

Piezo said:

From what I've heard there is more than one type of rail gun, the traditional kind is a simple metallic rod and a coil, I.E. a solenoid, like a door bell. You can make it more powerful by using multiple coils, and firing them at just the right time. The most powerful ones are a little bit different, but I'm not really clear on how. The projectile can be sent by one of those things hundreds of miles, and I heard something about the projectile going so fast that it becomes energy, thus having the effect of the Farsight from Perfect Dark.

That's a Gauss gun; Gauss uses a tesla coil. A railgun is an electromagnet on a rail, hence the name.

Xanthier said:

My guess is that they are calling it that for it seemed effect. I hope, plus the gun would radioactive and harm probably the user as well. most likely they are waves incapable of penetrating human skin rather than actual microwaves which cook things from the inside-out.

You can't cause something to emit radiation using microwaves. That can only be done using x and gamma rays, and I think the higher wavelengths that are only present in outer space. The two microwave frequencies that are most commonly used are 915MHz and 2450MHz, which water molecules will absorb, but not much else will. That's why they are used for cooking. Anyways there aren't too many other wavelengths you can use that can readily cause damage and still travel through the air very far except for wavelengths that are longer than 290nm. Once you get past that, the wave is usually attenuated by the ambient air. Of course, that statement is very general, as there are a few ranges that up and down the electromagnetic spectrum that will pass through air. But even though they say they are using microwaves, they still might be using something else, as you pointed out.

pilottobombadier said:

That's a Gauss gun; Gauss uses a tesla coil. A railgun is an electromagnet on a rail, hence the name.

Alrighty then.
Anyway, we are always exposed to microwaves, especially with satellite dishes. But a high enough exposure starts to cause damage. There was a guy I knew that was in the military that was in a very cold climate, and they were supposed to wait somewhere for a while, so some of them started to stand over by a really large satellite transceiver because it felt warm. It didn't feel warm because of heat, it felt warm because their water molecules in their body were getting excited and nothing else. Someone saw them standing there and yelled, "Get away from there!" Because they were getting cooked.
Another story I heard was about this guy that worked at a facility that had a giant satellite dish, and perhaps more than one. One time he went up there and noticed it felt warm so he decided to climb up there one night and stay in it so he brought a six pack and a lawn chair. Well, later the next day someone climbed up there and all they could find was the lawn chair, and the beer cans, some of which had exploded.
So remember kids, don't mess around with microwave radiation!