Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sharessa

New Orleans = Fucked

I can't believe no one has posted this yet. There is a class 5 hurricane heading right towards New Orleans as we speak. The eye is expected to hit some time late tonight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina
http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/iwszone?Sites=:laz062#t2
http://www.deadlykatrina.com/

And to illustrate how bad this is for New Orleans, just look at this diagram:

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/5425/elevationmap9ox.gif

This is probably the worst hurricane in US history and possibly the most devestating natural disaster in this country's history as well.

Wow. There go all those classic jazz and blues bars. Isn't Ty Halderman there?

Im watching it on the weather channel. good luck and get everything high and/or evacuate if you can.

myk said:

Wow. There go all those classic jazz and blues bars. Isn't Ty Halderman there?

Yeah, he's commented on it in the hidden /newstuff forum. He says he's "likely to be out of touch for a while".

Sounds like it's close to the worst possible scenario for New Orleans (short of it behind struck by such a storm without enough warning to evacuate at all). Just got to hope it loses some of its force before it hits, I suppose. How it can do that when travelling over warm water, I don't know. :(

Even if everyone evacuates the city, it's hard to imagine there won't be major loss of life.

I've herd that too Psyonisis. What shocks me is that this hurricane was like a class 2 only yesterday.

If everyone evacuates, how the hell is there gonna be major loss of life??? Anywho, do you think the hurricane killed any sharks en route to louisianna??

Supervolcano? My best wishes to all those who will be opting to stay or unable to leave, sounds like a whopper of a storm.

Best of luck to anybody around there, and remember, there's always something you can get rid of if it means saving one more life (whether it be yours or not).

My uncle lives in Baton Rouge, and we all thought he was evacuating because he drove up to northern Louisiana early this morning to drop his kids and dog off at the home of his ex-wife's parents, but he felt too awkward to stay there (that's how big of a cunt his ex-wife is), so he's back at his home in Baton Rouge. Fortunately, his neighborhood is one of the highest in the city and it's already more sheltered naturally than New Orleans, but he does have some prime property that he rents out about three blocks from the levee in New Orleans which looks to be completely fucked.

I'm sincerely worried about the poor people in the Superdome. The governor of Louisiana keeps dodging questions like none other about the dome's structural integrity.

And then pretentious wanks ramble on about shit like this. Of course, the guy's been looking at models of hurricanes for most of his life, so he probably doesn't feel as if his life has any worth unless the city is completely wiped off the map.

Inferno said:

I've herd that too Psyonisis. What shocks me is that this hurricane was like a class 2 only yesterday.

Same here. Before I went to bed last night, I checked CNN.com, and at the top of the page was "BREAKING NEWS! Hurricane Katrina has been upgraded to a deadly category 5 hurricane!", when as you said, it had only been a category 2 shortly beforehand.

Best of luck to anyone living anywhere in this deadly storm's path. Hopefully it won't be as bad as analysts say :(

Kid Airbag said:

I'm sincerely worried about the poor people in the Superdome. The governor of Louisiana keeps dodging questions like none other about the dome's structural integrity.

Yeah. When I first saw the report about the Superdome on CNN, they were saying that the first level would probably flood (so they weren't letting anyone down there), and the generators could fail, leaving everyone in the dark without air conditioning. Eeep. Furthermore, I was reading the Superdome page on the Wikipedia (written long before today) that said it could withstand winds of up to only 125 mph and flooding of 20 feet. Later reports said 200 mph winds and 35 feet of water. Sounds like they are trying to downplay this.

Also, it really sucks because most of the people that are in the Superdome are poor people who couldn't get out of the city because they have no cars. I hope they all make it through this okay.

I feel for all the people who will be homeless after this. there is going to be massive property loss and many home and business owners are going to suffer. and I hope that those who couldn't make it out of the city make it thru the storm. theres not much else any of us can do right now until the storm passes.

From class 2 to class 5. So is it getting bigger as it moves or something to do with the air currents? Could it grow further? :(

Scuba Steve said:

Regardless... the Superdome is probably the safest place for 35,000 people during a disaster of this magnitude.

The roof just blew off :P

It looks like it's died down to about 135 MPH. Apparently that's still more than enough to flood the city. Crap!

Hopefully the storm dies down more as it goes more inland, still we dont want it to go inland!

And best of luck for any one who lives in that area.

when i first saw this I thought "cue the stupid ytmnds mocking this" and i was right. How can they be so fucking idiotic some of those people making jokes about it being the next atlantis?

crap I guess its already started for florida, new orleans will be next.

Excerpt from an email I received 08/26/05

"DSHR recruitment has started for Hurricane Katrina…
DSHR members please call in to the Chapter if you are able to deploy to Florida over the weekend. The hurricane is expected to make landfall again around the panhandle of Florida early next week. If I do not hear from you, I will expect that you do not want to go."

Should I go?

Wait, my DSHR status hasn't been approved yet, I can't go :(
oh and DSHR = Disaster Services Human Resources, means I can go national, I'm currently local.

udderdude said:

It looks like it's died down to about 135 MPH.

135 mph isn't what I would call "dying down."

Inferno said:

Hopefully the storm dies down more as it goes more inland, still we dont want it to go inland!

Of course that is what will happen... and too late.

I was born in gulfport, ms and most of my father's side of the family is down there. don't speak with them much anymore (very little during my life), but I still do hope things are ok...

Looks like it didn't hit New Orleans as direct as they thought. Seems to have mostly hit Mobile, AL; Gulfport, MS; and Boloxi, LA. Those places got hit by pretty big storm surges, though they were evacuated beforehand. They're still underwater as of the last tiem I watched the news.

New Orelans got a foot or two of flooding, but it seems to be only in certain parts of the city, and I also heard reports of draining. There seems to be more wind damage than flood damage. The Superdome has a few holes in it, but everyoen inside appears to be safe. Still, they haven't been able to get a chopper out to survey the damage.

Luckily, it veered East instead of West, avoiding many oil refinaries, so we won't be hit by such a large gas price increase as we could have had.

Also, as soon as it began to hit lannd, it was downgraded to a 4, and around the time the eye was passing by New Orelans, it was downgraded to a 3. Right now it's only a 2 or 3.

Yeah, so much for New Orleans becoming a giant cesspool as so many "experts" were predicting.