Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

New Nintendo Controller Revealed

Amaster said:

My one and only worry about it is battery power.

Hell yeah. I'll never trust wireless technology after my stupid wireless mouse that ate like 4 batteries a week and had a signal that crapped out every couple of minutes for a second or so (okay if I wasn't primarily using it to play games). It wasn't a shitty off-brand either. It was a pretty expensive Microsoft mouse, and they're second only to Logitech in mouse quality.

The batteries in my Logitech wireless MouseMan Pro2 or whatever the fuck it was called lasted for like 6 months. Too bad I lost the thing when we moved:(

If you're worried about battery power then I guess you're out of luck since all consoles now use wireless controllers. It's not much of a concern though, considering the Wavebird received only good reviews.

Of course I hope (as everybody hopes, probably) that all consoles will offer a built-in rechargable battery. It's already been suggested that the Revolution's controllers may simply be charged through the Gamecube controller ports. Like those wireless mice that have a recharging stand next to your PC.

I really don't think power will be that big an issue. I have only had to change the batteries for my GameCube's wireless Wave-Bird controller once the entire time I've had it (about a year).

My wireless optical trackball, on the other hand, can eat up 2 AA batteries within a couple of months' time. I find it to be quite annoying, but it's not like they make a wired version of the mouse (to my knowledge).

Oh Im sure it'll last a hell of a long time wihout needing a recharge or fresh batteries. Im just the type who's bad about keeping track of those things :P

I've changed my mind. This thing looks awesome. FPSs and RTS games would be amazing on the revolution!

In an FPS, you could use the right controller for looking around, shooting, etc., and the other one would control movement. Way better than a d-pad.

And, imagine moving the cursor in an RTS with the gyroscopic controller.

edit: imagine a game where you could paint with your hands and not a d-pad!

"god games" can be taken to all new heights now. Games like Nintendogs can be tackled on a much larger scale on the Rev. I'm very excited for all of the endless possibilities.

Also, in a splinter cell type game you could pick locks with your hand and stuff. THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS

Bloodskull said:

Ok if this is there final design for the controller, I'm definitly not buying a revolution. End of story.

Yes, don't buy the system because you don't like the controller. Makes PERFECT sense.
I like this controller. It's certainly original. It would take some major getting used to (to say the least) but at least it's not another boring PS2 Dualshock or, God forbid, XBox controller ripoff or something of that nature.

eh? what the fuck is the analog stick doing danging out of the bottom? And with such a short wire?

So much for light sabre battles. You won't be able to swing the bastard around worth shit unless you let the analog bit go. It will swing around and eventually smash you in the balls.

Lame.

I'd rather just press buttons and have well-laid-out controls. Interaction, to me, means story and atmosphere-- not waving my hands in front of the screen. I'm glad there's someone out there innovating, despite the fact that this particular thing doesn't fly with me.

PS3 please.

P.S. According to the article, Nintendo doesn't want to give out "further details". Unless they have yet another completely unrelated trick up their sleeves, what more is there to tell? You swing the thing around. The game reacts. End of story.

Ralphis said:

Also, in a splinter cell type game you could pick locks with your hand and stuff. THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS

The cord probably doubles as a garrote wire for such games.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a Revolution, even though I think the new controller is a bold yet risky move. If I don't like the controller, then I'll just use the Gamecube controller. I'm kind of worried about how some games may hurt your wrists, though.

Hmm... two things I see being difficult on these controllers.

1). Hitting a button and using the directional pad (d-pad) at the same time. For instance, say these controllers were being used for Super Mario Brothers. How are you supposed to run forward and jump, all at the same time? The only way I see it happening is if you use a second hand on the same controller.

2). Going back and forth between hitting buttons and using the d-pad might be a bit of a pain. It might be a bit of a strain for your thumb to move all the way from the top of the controller (where the d-pad is), all the way to the bottom (where the buttons are). Try hitting the highest button on your TV remote, then the lowest. It certainly isn't something that feels comfortable to me. I would think my thumb would be worn out rather quickly, and it certainly takes a little time to move my thumb all that distance, which is a big deal in the video game world.

Anyway, those two things have me concerned. Maybe I have nothing to worry about; maybe I do.

You don't; the A and B buttons are in two places. One set: one below the D-Pad, one on the opposite side of the "remote" as a trigger. Other set: the two at the bottom. Rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise and look what you get.

mallis said:

eh? what the fuck is the analog stick doing danging out of the bottom? And with such a short wire?

So much for light sabre battles. You won't be able to swing the bastard around worth shit unless you let the analog bit go. It will swing around and eventually smash you in the balls.

Lame.

The analog coord is an attachment that can come on and off. Problem solved!

Carnevil said:

Hmm... two things I see being difficult on these controllers.

1). Hitting a button and using the directional pad (d-pad) at the same time. For instance, say these controllers were being used for Super Mario Brothers. How are you supposed to run forward and jump, all at the same time? The only way I see it happening is if you use a second hand on the same controller.

Rotate that remote and you get a NES controller. Have fun!

Carnevil said:

Ah, okay. I see about the buttons. But if you rotate the controller, wouldn't left be up, up be right, etc?

I'm sure that it will react correctly to NES games. All they have to do is make NES games read the input of the D-pad to match the controller.

Common sense !

Looks like you're not out in the cold if you want to play it safe. At an extra cost, of course.

But seriously-- a lot of you guys seem to be getting REALLY excited by something that seems to be just a convoluted way to circumvent patents and be different for it's own sake. I can't begin to imagine how the public testing must have gone...

Numbermind said:

At an extra cost, of course.

What made you conclude that? If anything, right now I'd say all the signs port towards the nunchuck attachment and the controller shell coming standard with every controller.

And a lot of people are excited because they know that no matter how it turns out, we're going to see at least a number of awesome games utilising the technology coming from Nintendo, as always, even if third parties ignore the thing and simply go for the standard configuration (which is not likely seeing as how developers are all drooling over it).

Kristian Ronge said:

Who? Have you got a source on that?
Just interested.

I am right positive that Kojima is going to be making some games for it. Kojima has always loved specialized input devices. He has already voiced his praise.

I am right positive that FPS makers (n-Space, Retro, Ubisoft) are going to go ape shit over this thing.

I am right positive that Square-Enix is going to want to get in on the online action. They have already praised it.

I am right positive that Baten Kaitos will be making yet another appearance. Like the DS, the Revolution control scheme is perfect.

I am right positive that EA is going to be there, just to make more money. They have already voiced praise.

Peter Molyneux has already praised it.

I am right positive that the Revolution is going to play out much like the DS. It's going to be completely disrespected by the media, yet provide a very unique experience that most gamers will respect and love. We all want to play new games, and that's the whole point of the Revolution and DS. The sales figures for the DS really speak volumes about that.

The shell BETTER be standard for how much consoles cost these days. Selling a console without all its basic required input devices would be a rip off.

I'm not really optimistic about the waving around stuff, and I am glad to see it's not the only option for games on the system -- mainly because I don't know how a game like Metroid Prime 3 could possibly work with two buttons :P

Quasar said:I'm not really optimistic about the waving around stuff, and I am glad to see it's not the only option for games on the system -- mainly because I don't know how a game like Metroid Prime 3 could possibly work with two buttons :P [/B]

B for shooting, A for jumping. No lock-on needed, will aim with pointer. Analogue attachment for walking (no trigger needed for strafing either since you're now basically working with a dual analogue setup). The directional pad can be used for weapons or visors. Remember that the analogue thingie has two Z buttons also. Personally I'd use one for scanning, and the other as a modifier for the D-pad to select either weapons or visors.

Then there's the other buttons on the pointer (seems like a good name for it) that arent fit for action buttons the way you'd be holding it, but can serve as pause/menu buttons.

Don't see why not. And I think it'd be realistic to say Nintendo is going to want this big title to showcase their controller, so I'd count on it.

When N64 came out I lost most of my faith in Nintendo. When GameCube came out and gave Mario a fucking water pack, and then recently gave him a bat. I lost almost all faith in Nintendo. Now the new controller looks like a fucking remote. I have completely lost all faith in Nintendo.