Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KwadDamyj

Embarrasing/silly things you've done in real-life related to the internet/games

KwadDamyj said:

I've pondered what resolution reality runs at.

The resolution of the human eye is roughly 5000 lines-per-inch, or about 60000x45000 on a 17-inch monitor (very rough estimate). Useless info for the day.

Hmm... Real Life? well...
*I strafe, all the time, especially in crowds.
*I scan all the rooftops and windows for snipers.
*I use phrases like "pwned", "w00t", "1337", "heh" and "lollerskates"
*I've actually used this poem in a letter to my girlfriend:
Roses are #FF0000,
Violets are #0000FF,
All of my base
Are belong to you.

*In church, when I get bored I write scriptural quotes in 1337-5p34k
*I tell my mom how cool my last game of Counter-Strike was.
*I always look for somewhere to dodge to in case someone pulls a gun. I don't like walking in the middle of hallways, or in hallways that don't have alcoves.
*I told my parents that Dad's office has a 128 door (yes, it's that tall)

*Nerdiest thing I've ever done: I was sitting in a computer class, doing nothing because our server was down, so no projects, no internet, no nothing. Computers were useless. Well, the PA system came on. "Teachers and students..."
*cross fingers*
"...our cheerleading squad has - "

About this point, I literally slammed my fist on the desk and almost shouted "I don't want to hear about sexy young girls in tight costumes! I want the server back up!" All the geeks high-fived me and shouted "w00t!", all the normal kids looked at me like I was possesed. I think I became an official geek at that point.

Caligari_87 said:

*I've actually used this poem in a letter to my girlfriend:
Roses are #FF0000,
Violets are #0000FF,
All of my base
Are belong to you.

||
You win the thread :)

Caligari_87 also said:

*Nerdiest thing I've ever done: I was sitting in a computer class, doing nothing because our server was down, so no projects, no internet, no nothing. Computers were useless. Well, the PA system came on. "Teachers and students..."
*cross fingers*
"...our cheerleading squad has - "
About this point, I literally slammed my fist on the desk and almost shouted "I don't want to hear about sexy young girls in tight costumes! I want the server back up!" All the geeks high-fived me and shouted "w00t!", all the normal kids looked at me like I was possesed. I think I became an official geek at that point.

If I had £1 for everytime I felt like doing that (fill in the rest here since I can't be bothered). I became a geek a long time before that, though.

One last thing: "Owned" is a craze at my school right now :Þ

I once walked like an imp. I were in the livingroom and wanted to reach my bedroom, as the very linear path was blocked by walls, I just walked arround the wall (like a DOOM monster that tries to reach a target but an obstacle blocks its path), all doing the roaming imp sound. That was stupid, still funny.

Some times, years ago (fortunatly) I used to simulate Eidolon's attacks in the shower.

This isn't entirely related to the discussion, and takes a bit of explanation...

There was a sketch in Monty Python's Flying Circus where all of England's population was being turned into Scotsmen by aliens from the galaxy of Andromeda. When the person is turned into a Scotsman, they raise their arm in the air and waddle towards Scotland in fast-motion.

Sometimes I catch myself doing that when on the way to the fridge.

Janderson said:

I tried to go a day of pretending to be in Broken Sword, I was like 10 or 11. I managed to collect a lot of cool stuff, which actually helped people but for the most part it's junk that has lined the bottom of my drawers for nine years. I didn't do it as boldly as this chap though.

I'm like the pope of Myst. Lol. Thankfully those burger dudes didn't lock his ass up.

Bloodshedder said:

Registered a domain name based on an Engrish phrase from a video game, but I guess that's not real life is it?

I dunno. I see it, so it must be real.....right???

DarkJedi188 said:

When I was 9 and 10, I used to imitate DOOM's bipedal monsters in their unawakened/idle state...

Yes, I actually stood in a corner, and kept dragging my right foot back and forth, back and forth, at a steady rhythm. Just like a shotgun guy waiting for a door to be opened and waiting for someone to come into his view.
And then when somebody like my dad opened the door and came into the room, I would make a childish prepubescent growl and awaken.

Geez. I can't believe I actually confessed this.

Imps are cool, but lost souls.....now there's a fun one to imitate. I do that sometimes when leaving the grocery with a full cart. Scares the old people shitless. :D

Alboroto said:

Maybe this is one of the worse: One time I was working on a very important paper on my laptop, it was about 4:30 in the morning, i was really tired. I tried to reach for my cup of coffee and I spilled all over the table. I started to hit Ctrl-z and couldn't figure out why the cup didn't return to its original position.

Server failed to restore coff_cup pos 1......return error. End of line. "Beep". Heh.

KwadDamyj said:

I sometimes wish I had a HUD in my r/l FOV. =^(

-That'd be sweet, but for what purpose? Weapons/ammo? Food/energy levels?

I've contemplated trying to recreate my apartment in ZDooM (since IIRC it has fake floor-over-floor).

-VR apartments are the wave of the future dude.

I've pondered what resolution reality runs at.

I can never, EVER hear the word "camping" without Red vs Blue quotes and images of Quake coming to mind.

Red vs. blue? Quake related? I know some old stuff but not all, and that stuff confuzzles me. ;)

Today as I was trying to cash a check on a bank, the guy behind me kept singing the mario bros song for about 20 minutes... By the ninth time he sung it, I was ready to warp hi ass to the minus world.

"Good game" is something I often mutter to someone, as opposed to just "Good-bye".

But my unique habit is zombie immitation. Usually in the dark, like in a basement, I'll mimic the zombie animations from various RE games. I don't do this alone, oh no, for the zombies in RE only walk when they're after something. I can usually be found lurking behind an unsuspecing friend, and might give them the benefit of droning before I grab them from behind and chew their jugular.

When on 'sneaking missions' with friends or whoever it may be. I'll usually mimic Snake/Raiden's movement animations and behaviors from MGS2. If I'm guarding something, I'll mimic the enemies from that game, instead.

Lastly, in my boredom, I try my hand at Doom ambient sounds-- namely that clacking noise, which I think is suppose to be Imps' foot steps.

About nine years ago, after playing SimCopter incessantly, I would often make sounds such as "Nee ooiioiir" and "Ehh er!" during conversation.

It's just a short form of "oh really?".

You'd need to see the slide of ORLY? owls to properly get the joke.

I'd quoted some of that IRL, actually, though nobody seems to get it.

Maybe I'll do it when I'm back at work on Sunday.

WildWeasel said:

This isn't entirely related to the discussion, and takes a bit of explanation...

There was a sketch in Monty Python's Flying Circus where all of England's population was being turned into Scotsmen by aliens from the galaxy of Andromeda. When the person is turned into a Scotsman, they raise their arm in the air and waddle towards Scotland in fast-motion.

Sometimes I catch myself doing that when on the way to the fridge.

it'd be cool if the random bagpipe music came on to :P

OT now, I've done numerous things, most with my brother and cousin joing in, some being running family gags, that come from games.

*when something embarressing/lame/or theres total ownage my brothers and I do various video game death musics, our fave being mario 1 & 2, zelda, castlevania, and solstice. we also say "pwned"

*when somethings good happens I sometimes do final fantasy battle victory music.

* my brother and my cousin and I used to make up mosters, superheroes/villians/fighter characters. we would play outside as them and have fights complete with hummed music, fake projectile attacks, supermoves, and finshers. we did this for a good number of years, three guys attacking each other in sometimes ridiculous, sometimes very effective, ways, spouting cheesy dialouge and sound fx. why no one beat the crap out of us is beyond me.

*random video game quotes are constant around my house.

*yes, I strafe. when I listen to certain songs I try to descreetly emulate the headbobbing of the running doom guy. I also find myself turning to look in open doorways when walking past them to make sure nothings gonna pop out.

*I took a screenshot to show a girl that I had stuff related to a project we were doing together in a seprate folder (shiva stuff in the pic) and altered it with PSP to have an All Your Base menu.

*when I'm alone, like in an elevator or empty corridor, I find myself either humming video game music, sound fx, or doom monster noises.

I'm sure I'm guilty of other stuff, but I think those are enough

Sometimes I sneak about my house like Solid Snake, and spin toy revolvers like Ocelot, I do the handgesture and then quote both characters randomly to my dogs.

I used to play badminton, using special moves and victory dances from random game characters from Final Fantasy or Tekken.

I have this little orange Colt 1911 on my desk and sometimes I try and do Ocelot's tricks with it - but it's hard to do because the trigger guard is so small. I also sometimes mimic the attack animations from Halo with it.

And while I was in the bathroom once...I started quoting Dracula from Symphony of the Night, which...well, let's just say that it inspired me to make this fine piece of audio edit (note: right click, save link as).

When I'm walking by myself outside, I'll randomly say "You're Busted!" to myself - like the player characters from the original NARC.

Coopersville said:

But my unique habit is zombie immitation. Usually in the dark, like in a basement, I'll mimic the zombie animations from various RE games. I don't do this alone, oh no, for the zombies in RE only walk when they're after something. I can usually be found lurking behind an unsuspecing friend, and might give them the benefit of droning before I grab them from behind and chew their jugular.

I do that also. But that only happens before my morning cup of coffee.

I play airsoft. Most of the time if we have a big group of people a lot of us will want to do missions form games like Ghost Recon or Rainbow 6. That is the only thing I do related to video games.

This is going to be a long list.

- Two of my friends constantly quote 4chan stuff all the time, and now they've got me doing it. I't always "o rly" and "I see what you did there" and "WRRRYYYYYY" and such when they're together (well one of them moved to LA somaybe that's the end of that). One time they asked my poor Pokemon-loving friend "so I heard you like mudkips...". I'm not sure what that means, but it was probably not a nice thing to ask her. :(

- I sometimes randomly immitate Doom monsters. My friends constantly copy stuff from other games, so I don't feel too weird.

- All Your Base jokes are rather common in our group of friends.

- Quotes from homestarrunner.com are even more frequent.

- A lot of jokes from Penny Arcade and 8-bit Theatre have become in-jokes for me and my friends. (We ran "sword-chucks" into the ground back in 2001...hehe).

- I tend to quote Black Islae games a lot when my friends and I play D&D.

- All the common net lingo has now become everyday speach for my friends and I.

- I use "owned" in everyday speach. :/

- And of course movie quotes are constantly being tossed around.

- And much, much more!

A proper list

- OWNED
- O RLY and wondering why no-one replys with YA RLY.
- Showing people from school this
- Having this as my desktop.
- Playing the Doom 64 TC on the school libary's computers
- Getting pissed off at the same TC not working on the rest of the school computers
- Frequently being seen on various Doom sites.
- Told a few people about impse.

I don't do anything in real life that has to do with the internet, but I do some Doom stuff. I do strafewalk to see if I could do it in real life like Doom. I also keep my head straight forward like the space marine always does. When I'm in a crowded public place, I like strategically walking around the people like I'm in one of Andrey's speedrun demos.

I like to talk about the Doom/Heretic maps I've made. This is quite embarrasing for other people, since they would rather I shut up and talk about the weather/sports/other people.

*Pondering how would I represent a specific building in a doom engine
*Drawing a lot of concept art, especially architectural
*I've used "owned" a couple times

Just last night, I went downstairs to take a smoke break from hl2 deathmatch. On my way back up, I noticed I briefly checked the steps to make sure there wasn't a slammer planted. huhhuh me so silly.

In Paintball sometimes I imitate the Q3/UT announcers whenever the event happens (headshot-doublekill-multikill-humiliation-3fragsleft heh).
Theres a very expansive field when I was in my house before which was as big as a squared football field where I would bring GBA DooM/II and show my friend as best as I could all the moving I did in the game (like if I was walking foward in-game, I would also in rl with the GBA in my hands).
A lot of the times I find myself trying to take the shortest route when walking/driving as if I was making a speed demo (like straight line through curves,etc).
Doom dreams (like when you feel like you are the doom marine in the game) is the most common by far.

alot of lights lag in my house and i always complain about my ping on the real life server

ive had people yell LEROOOOOOOY JENNetc.. at me without knowing what the hell it is.

also someone said i'm the man now dog

I strafed in public once, people thought I was crazy. Back in elementary school, me and my friend got in shit during recess once, because we kept screaming like Raiden and pushing each other into walls.