Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
caco_killer

Why do people insist on making rants about videogames like this?

http://games.insidepulse.com/articles/46716

Basically, the ranter is very angry about how the games that he thinks are good get ignored by people and the gaming media. I've seen rants like this before, and I don't really see the point of them. I'd like to see these ranters actually do something instead of these huge rants like they do.

He evidently doesn't realize that magazines don't rate games based on how good they are, but rather how much advertising the publisher buys from them.

It was quite entertaining to read. I especially liked how he started out reasonably composed and balanced and then slowly worked himself up to a frenzy.

Rants are fun...

I kind of sympathize with this guy, when something strange or completely ridiculous happens in society over and over again, it makes me raving mad. (Like, for example, a crappy game like BGaE recieving massive pre-release hype that it didn't deserve.)

I honestly believe Classic DooM is the only game in recent years to have momentous hype attributed to it before release, and then surpass everyone's expectations ten-fold.

Halo 2, Half-life 2, BGaE...

These are examples of highly anticipated games that generated ludicrous pre-release hype, only to fall embarrisingly short of it's expectations.

These kind of things make me want to rant for weeks, but I'll spare you! Lol

Regards,
~The Mailman

MailmanTS said:

Rhighly anticipated games that generated ludicrous pre-release hype, only to fall embarrisingly short of it's expectations.

Solution: ignore the hype machine. lol.

Lord FlatHead said:

Solution: ignore the hype machine. lol.

That's what I do, but it doesn't seem like many people can think for themselves and need someone else to tell them what games they should play.

caco_killer said:

That's what I do, but it doesn't seem like many people can think for themselves and need someone else to tell them what games they should play.

I don't know about you, but if I bought 3 games on someone else's advice and hated 2 of them, then I would be pissed.

AndrewB said:

I don't know about you, but if I bought 3 games on someone else's advice and hated 2 of them, then I would be pissed.

Andrew's absolutely right...
When you go EB or Gamestop or whatever they have in your respective regions with your hard earned $50-$60 and find several games that look awesome and you want all, often the deciding factor is what others have told you about it, in fact, this is almost always the one and only deciding factor for a few people who trust other's advice to the death.

If I choose one out of let's say 4 games that I can't decide on, simply because a friend recommended it, and it sucks, I would be mad.

Even if someone doesn't want to believe it, when someone is faced with hard decisions and has ran out of comparisons and pros and cons and what not of game vs. game, they have one thing to rely on, other's opinions.

Why do people insist on making rants about people insisting on making rants about videogames like this?

...Sorry couldn't resist. :P

Ah, but might I ask: why can't people resist commenting on the fact that people insist on making rants about people insisting on making rants about videogames like this?

AndrewB said:

I would be pissed, too, which is why I don't ask someone else for advice on what games to buy. I could always rent a game if I'm really unsure about buying it.

I think it's kinda funny that when he talks about overlooked "good" games, he points to mediocre ones. *shrugs* each to their own I guess.

I used to review computer MMORPGs for a site online - depending on who the publisher and creator was (with a slight insinuation of how much funding or products they gave as incentive for the review), they'd ask me to express certain degrees of enthusiasm for the game and "keep editorializing down." I''d say there's definitely some validity to this guy's rant.

The solution is to only pay attention to other end-user reviews. I find the contributed reviews on GameFAQs to be very reliable overall. There are always a couple that are like "10/10 THIS ROCKS" and "0/10 THIS BLOWS" but you can figure out what the game is really like by reading the ones that have fair and meaningful assesments of a game.

I agree with checking out the gamefaqs reviews, though I personally only spend time reading the ones with the lowest scores. Some of the time it's just some biased idiot ranting about how he wasted his money, but a lot of the time (at least what I've looked at recently), the lower score reviews will point out the faults of a game in a fair manner. You don't have to wade through all the mess of fanboyism to get to what matters, the pros and cons of the game. Knowing what bothered people about a game gives you a more accurate idea of what to expect, and you can consciously decide if you can get past the flaws of a game. But I dunno... maybe I'm just weird like that.

Bucket said:

OK Job, so can you tell us who pays out for good reviews the best?

Like I said, I'm no longer doing the job. But when I did, it we were generally urged to follow the general flow of existing hype. As a result, over-hyped games usually remained over-hyped; those were the games that came from the bigger publishers and developers. No real mystery there.

EllipsusD said:

I agree with checking out the gamefaqs reviews

No. Just no. :P I prefer the Gamespot user reviews, myself. The users there are slightly less idiotic than the ones at the sister-site, Gamefaqs.

Anyway, on-topic :p I can kind of agree witht the guy's rant, but because of how long he dragged it and how long it took for him to get to the point...well, debate college is not for him.