Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Am I the only one lame enough to buy the doom movie DVD?

Dose thou share thy shame?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Dose thou share thy shame?

• Ha ha fag. No.
    • Uh... maybe
    • What is so lame about the doom movie? it has the rock!!!

Me and 2 friends sat down and watched it, then whe hated on it.

Had it not been passed off as "THE DOOM MOVIE" it had been a fairly entertaining action movie (A genre I don't really hold in high esteem anylonger, there's an ungodly ammount of fairly entertaining action movies). But as a Doom movie, it was just stupid.

kristus said:
But as a Doom movie, it was just stupid.

Heh, I thought it was okay as a DOOM 3 movie.

Jehar said:

Doom (movie) failed as a mirror of the games. It failed this totally and completely.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't trying to be a mirror of the games, though.

Spoilers will follow....

I didn't see it when it was in the cinema, but I just watched the DVD. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. In fact, it was quite watchable. It's not Doom though (IMO). It's really not Doom - in many ways shapes and forms it's not Doom.

No matter how often they said things like "you've got to face your demons" and "go to hell" or the OTT christian guy acted stereotypically the monsters weren't demons, didn't look or act like demons (whatever that may entail) and there was no hint of hell. Which, now having seen a movie called Doom, but without hell, just underlines how integral to the feel of Doom hell and demonic influence really is. There was also not enough bad guys and certainly not enough monster bad guys - both in number and variety. And no fireballs of any kind. The action was a bit too little too late and a big bad guy boss battle would have been nice, not just teh Rock.

All that being said, it was watchable. The plot was reasonable and all the explanations of what was going on worked reasonably well within the movie's own logic (albeit that it was total and utter balls). The characters were a bit stereotypical archetype-like (The kid, the pervert/untrustworthy one, the bible-quoting christian etc etc) but that was OK in a no-brainer like this. The zombies were a bit too cheesy en masse and the monsters were generally not as powerful looking and behaving as I hoped they would be but it was OK. They were pretty obviously guys in rubber suits a lot of the time. There were some nice touches and I lost count of how many game and Doom lore references there were. The FPS sequence, I thought, worked pretty well and actually made me sit up and pay attention. What's more, they actually managed to fit it into the logic of the movie pretty well too. The final fight between Eomer and the Rock was OK, but not really a boss battle. However, I liked the fact that they were both able to knock each other around like that was explained (both Chromosome 24 enhanced). So it kind of worked.

Like I said, it's not Doom, but it is a reasonable Aliens/monsters/scientists have taken over a moon base and the marines have to sort it out no-brainer movie. For a movie that has a lot of the Doom feel, but without any monsters, "Event Horizon" still gets my vote. If someone cunningly edited EH together with some of the scenes from Doom, then perhaps, just perhaps, we might have a Doom movie.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I seriously doubt there would have been as much crap heaped upon this film if it hadn't had the Doom name attached. It was hardly a movie you'd tell your grandkids about, but on the other hand I don't recall the camera spazzing around at all during any of the action sequences, which is the bane of all modern action movies.

Although, it must be said that I didn't pay to see it (hoorah for complimentary preview tickets).