Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

WoW player dies. Fellow WoW players hold in game funeral. Funeral gets ambushed.

Funnily, this is on the server I play on. The problem isn't playing mmos, it's being retarded and going into a Contested Zone on a PvP Server.

For those of you who don't know what this means: There are two factions you choose to play from, those factions being Horde and Alliance; They hate eachother and kill eachother. On a PvP server, 70% of the world is contested territory, which means everyone is free game if they're not of your faction. You can kill anyone, at any time. They held this "funeral" in a contested zone on a PvP server.

They chose to play on a PvP realm, they faced the consequences. PvP servers are notorious for being full of the most rotten assholes in WoW, anyway. The entire time to the level cap you're just getting killed by someone higher than you. It's no wonder PvPers are such miserable shits.

I just saw this and was going to make a post myself. Real funny, just proves how sad MMORPGs really are.

Mmmyep. Good stuff. This was on Fark the other day. Goes to show what to expect when you can't sign off of WoW for five minutes to mourn a friend.

Oh, and... how exactly is this the reason not to play MMO's?? Hell, I think it's a damn good reason TO play.

You know, it may be wrong, but that has to be one of the funniest things I've seen for a long time. The video, with the music, was great. All the sadness at the "funeral" opposing the team of troublemakers bounding through the forest on their way to totally wipe out the "mourners". And they did it too.

What's more, if you really want a representation of a war-like medieval civilisation, what better way to press the advantage against your enemies? Real history is littered with similar examples. It was a good plan, well executed (they totally pwned the mourners) and funny as hell.

Of course, if I'd been on the other side, I'd be pissed off. But hell, it's only a game.

Enjay said:

You know, it may be wrong, but that has to be one of the funniest things I've seen for a long time. ... But hell, it's only a game.

According to the report, while this was an in-game funeral, it was for someone who had actually died in real life.

Grazza said:

According to the report, while this was an in-game funeral, it was for someone who had actually died in real life.

Yeah, hence the "it may be wrong" in my post. It may, no, it is wrong, but I did find it funny.

The "only a game" comment cuts a number of ways. I'm digging at the people getting so upset about a game incident - although I acknowledge there are bigger issues here. However, I'm also poking fun at the fact they had a funeral in game. I suppose that is appropriate, given that most of the mourners would have only known the dead person through the game, but it is still an new and unusual way to acknowledge a person's death. So, to many people, that would be bemusing, rather than amusing.

As for WoW - it is only a game. What's more it's a game on the internet which - as we all know - is plagued by asshats. So, they set up a game funeral for a real dead guy and it played out in a very game-like way. They should have expected as much - and at least had a few spells ready. They were totalled! Would the dead guy really have wanted them to stand around unprepared for an assault? Especially at his funeral?

Another thing I noticed was that the attackers were outnumbered by roughly 3:2 and they still won fairly easily. Didn't the mourners think of fighting back?

Also,

Someone on the Soldat forums said:

They forget that I am under no obligations to follow the orders of the enemy

Which kind of rings true here (albeit in a tasteless manner)

TheDarkArchon said:
Didn't the mourners think of fighting back?

Maybe some of them were AFK, or just got nervous and did little more than message their buddies before it was too late.

myk said:

Maybe some of them were AFK, or just got nervous and did little more than message their buddies before it was too late.

In other words, a perfect ambush. :)

Shame it didn't happen to emersion nuts, it would have been better appriciated by both factions, and even the departed (if s/he were able to watch) I'm sure.

Despite the fact that it was a despicable thing to do, it was... well, awesome, and funny. It deserves to be a recognised historic event in WoW.

Why do I have this sudden urge to yell out Leroy Jenkins?

Nonetheless, funneh. :D

The fact that most people admit it was wrong, but can say it was funny in the same sentence, says alot about people on the internet.

Xenphire said:

The fact that most people admit it was wrong, but can say it was funny in the same sentence, says alot about people on the internet.

The majority of people find "wrong" things funny. That's why most stand up comedians RELY on the stuff.

BTW, the deceased is female.

Xenphire said:

They are exactly like people off the internet?

I don't really see how you can have a funeral in a game. I mean a memorial service, sure, but wouldn't the deceased have to be logged in or something?
Anyway, the ambush was wrong because they have no respect for the dead.
The real problem is that the internet is polluted with stupid children.

Piezo said:

Anyway, the ambush was wrong because they have no respect for the dead.

I don't think that was issue. Respect for the mourners, however.... :P

TheDarkArchon said:

Another thing I noticed was that the attackers were outnumbered by roughly 3:2 and they still won fairly easily. Didn't the mourners think of fighting back?

I've watched the video a few times now, and paused it. At one point I counted at least 33 people in the queue of mourners and I think there may have been a few in the hollow, hidden from view, so it could easily have been 35 maybe even as high as 40. Counting the line of assailants charging through the woods, the most I could count on any one screen was 11, maybe 12. Even if my numbers are a little out, they were outnumbered a lot more than 3:2. It was at least 2:1, maybe even 3:1 or more!

Piezo said:

but wouldn't the deceased have to be logged in or something?

The deceased was logged in, kind of. Her buddies logged in for her. I think she's the one standing on the shores of the lake - the first one that gets killed.

To everyone who says "this is why MMORPGs suck" or "this is why I never got into MMORPGs" and the like: this is an isolated case. MMORPGs, like WoW, can be pretty fun and they don't have to destroy your social life. I've got a few friends who play WoW, and I've dabbled in it once, and we never had any trouble closing WoW and going to the pub etc. Sure there are plenty of people who sit around all day playing WoW and do shit like this but I don't understand how that makes them "suck" - if you don't want to be involved with those kind of people, don't be.

Enjay said:

The deceased was logged in, kind of. Her buddies logged in for her. I think she's the one standing on the shores of the lake - the first one that gets killed.

rofl. That makes the video even funnier at a second glance. But seriously, this video is gold. It stacks up against leroy

If you download the high quality video off the Serenity Now site, you'll see the posts that you can't really read on the Google Video.

Basically it says they're holding it in Winterspring (contested PvP zone) because the deceased liked snow, and liked fishing there. They also planned to film it and send it to her family, and asked that nobody arrive and mess it up.

Also the reason they're able to slaughter them so badly is because 1. Half of them are AFK and caught totally off guard, 2. The other half don't have their armor or weapons on, they have clothes, 3. They've got a bunch of really good gear from one of the raid dungeons. The one guy with the orange glowing mace .. that's one of the best weapons in the game.