1. 1. What are you doing on Halloween?

• Participating in a halloween-themed event
    • Watching spooky movies
    • Giving out candy to kids
    • Receiving candy, and I am dressing as Batman
    • Nothing, I do not live in North America
    • I will work because my boss is evil

myk said:

Just as Christmas is in honor of winter's solstice (the start of the sun's waxing, i.e, the start of the year), Halloween is for autumn's equinox (harvest time).

actually, it's the final harvest. the autumnal equinox is usually refered to in pagan/heathen circles as Mabon (around september 21-22), which the Norse introduced to the Celts. according to old traditions the solstices and equinox are actually the seasonal midpoints and not the start, so Halloween is actually the start of the winter season, which is why one of the Norse names for it was Winterfinding. Also, according to Celtic tradition, Samhain is the start of the New Year. Once again, it was the Norse that introduced Yule as being the New Year.

::edit:: heres a pic from last night. thats Alyssa, my finacee Theresa, me, and Alyssa's mom, Jaqui.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c292/VileSlay/2007010.jpg

VileSlay said:
actually, it's the final harvest.

True, it's like between the solstice and the equinox, and indeed more to do with harvesting opportunities rather than astronomical conditions.

according to old traditions the solstices and equinox are actually the seasonal midpoints and not the start,

In a way, depending on where one is, and thus it must be so in Celtic and Nordic traditions that are from the farther north, though in different areas what can be called each season varies in practical terms, sometimes with shorter winters as far as agriculture is concerned.

myk said:

In a way, depending on where one is, and thus it must be so in Celtic and Nordic traditions that are from the farther north, though in different areas what can be called each season varies in practical terms, sometimes with shorter winters as far as agriculture is concerned.

yeah, those are old european pagan/heathen traditions I mentioned. I realize they don't hold true for the whole world, but the celebrations of holidays in our modern age, like halloween, x-mas, easter, etc., are heavily based on those old traditions from Germanic, Nordic, Roman, and Celtic cultures. thats why I made those statements.

Little boy comes up to our door.
He doesn't say "Twick or Tweat." Instead...

Boy: Candy, please.
Older sister: You don't say that!
Boy: But I like candy...

*cue the studio audience "Awwwwwwwww!"*

DeumReaper

That was one of the most adorable videos I've ever seen. The kids reactions and all, and the costume was very well made too. Not sure if I condone keeping your kids in cupboards, but it fit the video well.

And I'm going to pimp Afraid of Monsters Directors Cut one last time, because I think it's worth everyone's time who has half-life and likes survival horror games. I just finished it tonight, got one of the four endings, freakiest game I've played yet.

http://mods.moddb.com/7579/afraid-of-monsters-dc/downloads/

I got really drunk and made an ass out of myself, in case anyone cared.

There's a funny story involving my friend though. He was Pyramid Head for Halloween, and at one point he was standing out on the street to wave someone down for the party. Then this couple taking their kid out trick-or-treating and they see my friend and go "wow, that's an awesome Pyramid Head costume!". Then they call their kid over.

One of the parents goes "hey son, this is what lives in your closet!" My friend starts doing the Pyramid Head walk. By now the kid is obviously scared. "He's going to kill you!" says the boy's mom. "Noooo! Please don't cut me in half!" The kid screams.

So yeah, traumatizing your kids on Halloween is the best.

I stand by my statement that this should have been checkboxes for more specific things.

The 20th I beat a guy in an amateur Muay Thai title match and then went to a "Murder in Bar" punk show right from there wearing my belt over my shoulder with wraps still on my hands. The Friday before Halloween I went to a freaking great hilarious party at my Muay Thai instructor's house. On Halloween, I gave out candy, although I got home from work kinda late so there was only a single trick-or-treater (saw some others passing by just as I was getting home). Then I drove over to my parents in costume and knocked on their door saying trick or treat. Startled my mom at first until she realized it was me (it being about 10 O' clock and me being nearly 5'10"). November 1st, kinda in the spirit of Mexico's Day of the Dead, I went to visit my Grandfather's and Uncle's graves and pay my respects.

My costume was some kinda Ninja Scroll or Samurai Shodown ninja. I wore a half mask with a kasa (hat like Raiden's) and I modified a cheap Freddy Kruger claw taking the claw ends off and replacing them with erector set pieces making it bigger with more joints and rigging them to move with rubber bands and string though it needs a lot more work yet.

Also, I finished reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, watched the movie Monster Squad (probably gonna watch Little Monsters soon), and played some Castlevania Symphony of the Night. In a couple days driving to Lancaster for some mixed grappling (mostly Jujutsu and Russian Sambo) I'll listen to Frankenstein on audio CD I got from a $ store, although it's abridged. These versions of the Time Machine and Dr. Jeckel & Mr. Hyde were alright.

Danarchy said:

He was Pyramid Head for Halloween,

Oh man, great fucking costume. Pyramid Head is one of the creepiest fictional things I've ever seen, and I'm not easily scared by fictional things.