Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sLydE

Which operating system do you use most?

Which operating system do you use most?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which operating system do you use most?

• Windows
    • Mac OS X
    • Linux
    • Other

Bucket said:

Well then YOU will be pleased to know that those gigs of Vista install data are used on ACTUAL programs and services that ACTUALLY do things.

I agree. Although I seriously still prefer the old RC1 of Vista that I have on a DVD somewhere that I got from Microsoft. It was back when they were accepting beta testers. I happened to get the x86 and x64 versions. Boy oh boy was it good =)

The Retail Vista Ultimate wasn't that bad. Like Graf said, take out all the bloated stuff you don't need and it's superb. ^^

That is, if superb is defined as taking three pieces of dog shit and taking two away to leave only one piece left.

I have:

• A desktop dual booting Ubuntu / Windows XP (which is rarely used)
  • A PowerMac 6400 dual booting Mac OS 9 and Yellowdog Linux.
  • An ASUS EeePC running Ubuntu exclusively.
  • A machine in my lounge connected to a TV running Ubuntu exclusively.
That's not counting the two Psion Revo palmtops that I have in a drawer..

Can we have multiple choices? My desktop at home is usually booted into XP, although there's always VNC and SSH sessions opened to my Linux system where stuff gets done -- the XP box is essentially a big fancy terminal that runs a web browser and occasionally plays video games.

My laptop dual boots between XP and OpenBSD, although the latter is being used more and more often now that it supports WPA. (And even though my router is also running OpenBSD, it doesn't count because 99.44% of the time I'm not interacting directly with it.)

But the question asked which operating system I use most, and that would be XP since that's what I use at work...

OS X. Windows makes me want to eat holes in the wall with its various mind boggling stupidities, but to be honest I don't want to really have to tweak and twiddle with the software I use so that it works properly. I'm thinking of things like media playback and such here, things that no linux distro does well.

Ubuntu/XP dual boot on both computers. I'd say I use Windows most. But I also use the university computers a lot, and those run Red Hat.

Bucket said:

Contrary to people on the internet who have probably never used Vista, I can report that it does not suck.

I have used it. I sat through the 3 hours it took to install on my laptop and then used it for 5 minutes before I uninstalled it due to the unimaginable slowness. So yes, it does suck.

Shaikoten said:

The great majority of my leisure computer time is spent on [...] MS Paint.

Apple computing platforms and OSX are horrible. Much worse than anything MS has put out since ME.

You must be some kind of magical computer genius.

Fredrik said:

I have used it. I sat through the 3 hours it took to install on my laptop and then used it for 5 minutes before I uninstalled it due to the unimaginable slowness. So yes, it does suck.

Three hours, eh? Are you sure your laptop is from this millenium?

At any rate, I've experienced absolutely no slowdown on my own laptop, even before I upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 3GB. I guess my anecdotal evidence cancels yours out.

I use Windows 98, and occasionally Windows XP (not my computer).

Bucket said:

At any rate, I've experienced absolutely no slowdown on my own laptop, even before I upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 3GB. I guess my anecdotal evidence cancels yours out.

No kidding. Vista took less than 20 minutes to install.

Maybe you had a slow DVD drive?

lol micro$oft sux im usin linus although i have xp 2 but i just run everythin thru wine cuz m$ sux lol vista is a pile of crap

Well seriously, I use Windows, and have actually never even tried Linux. I have Vista on the computer I'm currently using; it works, I'm happy. I also have an old computer for playing old games with, which has 98 SE on it.

Bucket said:

Obviously, since I got Vista with it.

destx said:

You must be some kind of magical computer genius.

Just mspaint virtuoso. http://cb-sc.com/doomstuff
For all your Doom Stuff needs.

The OSX interface is pretty annoying, graphically bloated, and non-standard, the hardware is overly expensive, and I still have to complain about the mice. Not only is there still the very conspicuous lack of a second button on most of their models, but the scroll wheel they put in their mice only works half of the time.

I could also be pissed at Macs because I had 9 out of the 14 computers in a lab die completely over Thanksgiving break, when no one was touching them. They went from working fine to not turning on at all; interesting thing is, this didn't depend on the surge protector they were connected into or anything like that. Some computers on the same surge protector got fried, and others didn't. They just all stopped working at the exact same time. Conspicuously just out of their warranty.

Shaikoten said:

Just mspaint virtuoso. http://cb-sc.com/doomstuff
For all your Doom Stuff needs.

The OSX interface is pretty annoying, graphically bloated, and non-standard, the hardware is overly expensive, and I still have to complain about the mice. Not only is there still the very conspicuous lack of a second button on most of their models, but the scroll wheel they put in their mice only works half of the time.

I could also be pissed at Macs because I had 9 out of the 14 computers in a lab die completely over Thanksgiving break, when no one was touching them. They went from working fine to not turning on at all; interesting thing is, this didn't depend on the surge protector they were connected into or anything like that. Some computers on the same surge protector got fried, and others didn't. They just all stopped working at the exact same time. Conspicuously just out of their warranty.

Alright, well, the interface in OS X is MUCH more standard than what XP is using. Leopard really updated every program to be very similar (in the case of third party stuff) to exactly the same (all of Apple's programs.)

If you're talking about standard across platforms, you know that the original Mac OS GUI was out a full year before Windows, right? So, where does the standard lay?

Also, the Mighty Mouse ships with all computers. 4 buttons and a scroll ball. 'nuff said.

Shaikoten said:

I don't own a Mac, but I've used them in two of the jobs I've worked with alongside a Windows PC. The Mac OSX interface is anything but bloated. It does what Vista ought to: Stay out of your way, allow a reasonable degree of customization and be intuitive.

And I don't understand the "graphically bloated" argument. Vista is horrid with its Aero theme. The whole thing is nothing but graphical bloat until you strip it way down.

That said, I still prefer Windows XP.

I don't know about that, but Vista's interface is definitely very clean and "ignorable". Mac OS has been using the same ugly slate grey for years.

Bucket said:

I don't know about that, but Vista's interface is definitely very clean and "ignorable". Mac OS has been using the same ugly slate grey for years.

Well, to borrow a phrase, "it just works."

People have said:

[some gui is] graphically bloated

Bah, use StumpWM then. I enjoy it from time to time, whenever I'm not in Xfce or Fluxbox.

Actually, I think those two beat the "graphically bloated" argument as well.

MikeRS said:

That is, if superb is defined as taking three pieces of dog shit and taking two away to leave only one piece left.

Let's define 'superb' as: 'runs almost any program as intended'.

Linux fails big time for this criteria. That's dog shit for me. I don't care about the OS's theoretical capabilities. They are of no use to me if I can't run the software I want without creating any fuss.

Fredrik said:

Obviously, since I got Vista with it.

I'm trying to understand here... the laptop CAME with Vista, but it took 3 hours to install...?

myk said:

I use Windows 98, and occasionally Windows XP (not my computer).

You need a new computer, lol, or download Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

Oh, and I have a laptop dual-booting Ubuntu and Windows XP Home Edition.

Graf Zahl said:

Let's define 'superb' as: 'runs almost any program as intended'.

Okay then vista is definitely not superb. It runs lots of recent programs well, some need patches, but as far as almost any program goes, "as intended" does not at all fit the way Vista runs them. Maybe XP, but Vista, fuck no bitch.

I've only experienced one incompatibility with Vista Ultimate 64, and that was an 8-year-old version of Cakewalk. But then, it didn't work in XP64 either.

Actually, that was the only compatibility problem I had with XP64. And that supposedly had the worst support of all.