Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Former forum announcement (Australian Doomers)

Phil1984 said:

Holy crap! And here I was thinking I was the only Tasmanian who played Doom.....

Same here until recently. I know we're not all down here to take advantage of the cheap and plentiful bandwidth provided by our optical fibre and broadband-over-powerline networks (the former will have to be re-laid and the latter was an abysmal failure).

Wonder if any of us are suffering from Daffyd Syndrome?

They probably got some goober from Newdoom, and not the kind of goober that is also a man.

Not from here, apparently, but the newsie may have still run a Doom story without us. Confirmations? Denials?

Here's part of an e-mail I finally got from him

Sorry for going AWOL on you. Been absolutely flat out.

I have since completed the DOOM story, which will (hopefully) screen
on SBS World News Australia this weekend (not sure which day). Please
apologise to the DoomForum for not getting back to them.

Thanks for everything. Keep up the good work. Here's to another 15 years.

Bad news I'm afraid. The editorial process has prevented the DOOM
story from running this weekend.

It's anybody's guess at the moment of when it wil end up running (if
at all), so to make things a bit easier I will shoot you an email when
it does go to air, containing a link of where you and the rest of the
Doomworld can view it online.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Creaphis said:

Not from here, apparently, but the newsie may have still run a Doom story without us. Confirmations? Denials?

Shame :(, This was a great opportunity for the community. They would've been more likely to get someone had something like this been done in the US or UK.

Bank said:

Texas based developer "I.D. Software?" Really?

I only learned that it's supposed to be pronounced like the Freudian concept some time this year.

Creaphis said:

I only learned that it's supposed to be pronounced like the Freudian concept some time this year.

See that's odd because I've always pronounced it id, and never understood why you wouldn't heh. Maybe it's the same reason I pronounce lol and rofl.

Pronunciation aside I didn't mind the report, and SBS is actually my favorite station in Australia; last time I was there it was all I watched.

Bank said:
Maybe it's the same reason I pronounce lol and rofl.

Maybe you got the habit from DOS and ASCII. I also say "you-ac".

Talking about the UAC, it seems that it all starts in Russia.

I never understand people who actually say lol. I mean, firstly, if they are saying it, then they are not laughing. If they are laughing they can't say it and have ne reason to tell you they are laughing anyway.

Aaaanyway, back to id. I read somewhere that it was originally I.D. but then became id quite early on in the company's lifetime. I think it was short for "Ideas from the Deep" or something. Anyone able to confirm?

DJ_Haruko said:

What version of the game were they using for the shots? I've never seen the status bar flicker like that, or a spectre turn black.

Probably Doom95. That spectre issue is a known bug that occurs when running Doom95 on modern systems.

I found it amusing that they hid the hud off the screen whenever the player was using god mode and full ammo, except right at the end :p

"Lol" for me is more equivalent to saying "that's funny" than to actually laughing.

Yeah, it's a nice report. Now, as always, I'm struck by journalists' incompetence with video gaming, but that's because I'm a huge nerd.

I tend to use "lol" when laughing or at least chuckling, and "heh" otherwise, and now I'm sticking my tongue out at the screen :p

Enjay said:
I think it was short for "Ideas from the Deep" or something. Anyone able to confirm?

It seems that's just the result of people's assumptions. It was IFD, not ID. Early fans may have associated the previous name with id, thus saying ID.

Incidentally, "ideas from the deep" sounds conceptually similar to "id"; ideas from the unconscious (the depths of one's mind).