Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

So you think you're fast?

So I checked out everyone's favorite internet speed test and decided to start a thread. Take the test. Then post your results:

Home (Comcast Cable)
Upload - 1.02
Download - 3.5

Work (CenterPartners)
Upload - 8.01
Download - 13

School (Front Range Internet)
Upload - 8.5
Download - 18.30

(also known as Patrick versus Comcast part 4)

Upload - 2.96
Download - 29.45

Yeah, I have insane download speeds. That's one good thing I can say about Comcast.

Home, Comcast Cable:
Download (Best) - 22.97 Mb/s
Upload (Best) - 2.252 Mb/s

Download (Average) - 19.55 Mb/s
Upload (Average) - 2.09 Mb/s

Not too shabby I don't think.. Tested in a few different servers (including Kuwait City which gave me 3.89 Mb/s). I'm actually really shocked at how well it did, considering how unstable my internet was for the entire last year.

Good ISP. Good router. Good computer. Shitty 7 mile long 'phone line courtesy of BT and a stupid decision they made as to which exchange to connect our village to.

Download 0.39 Mb/s
Upload 0.08 Mb/s

And that's when it is working.

:(

Dad's House:
Qwest (Mis)Communications
1.32 mbps down
0.36 mbps up

Will post my home Comcast scores tomorrow.

Customer in Houston TX, Beta Tester for Verizon FIOS Fiber Optic
Upload - 8.0
Download - 53.06

RCN Corporation (Home)
Download - 5.14mb
Upload - 0.75mb

Download seems fine to, and the upload doesn't relly surprise me. In fact it explains why it takes me two freakin hours to upload any rather large files to hosting sites when I need to :P

My apt. ~50 mi. from McAllen, TX Server (ISP:Road Runner)
Download: 2.49 Mb/s
Upload: 0.37 Mb/s
Seems like my internet is less than half the average of ISP.

Home (Comcast):
Download: 20.2
Upload: 0.6 (lol)

Work:
Download: 79.7
Upload: 10.2

Hence, I like downloading things at work :^) Fastest I've ever seen it go was between 8MB/sec and 9MB/sec (not Mb).

Home, 9.47 download, .49 upload. Better than I expected, considering from most sites I can only download at a max of 400kbps. I suppose that has more to do with their servers though, since if I'm downloading anything from Microsoft or Valve I can usually get between 800 and 1.2 megabytes. I still can't fathom how I survived with a 56k modem for all those years.

From my place and 250 mi away...

But my net isn't very stable, only online gaming for 3-10 mins at most before a disconnection. Meaning I can't have my favorite games running.

Edit: 3.4/5, that seems harsh on Verizon. They're like the only major ISP that doesn't suck right now

Verizon 3MB DSL:

Download: Claim is 3MBs, actual is ususally 2.6MBs. (Not bad!)
Upload: Claim is about 1MBs, actual is about .85 (not bad, but YouTube uploading kinda' sucks. :))

Home (Otenet ADSL, nominal speeds 8Mbps/384Kbps)
Upload (average) - 0.32 Mbps
Download (average) - 3 Mbps

Only the upload speed was constant throughout several servers, download could vary between 2.5 and 3.5 Mbps. Also ping was never < 100ms in any of the servers I tried, no matter how close.

I'm glad to say that this is one case where the tests are worse than practice however: I've actually obtained http and cumulative torrent download speeds well in excess of 3 Mbps, closing 800 KB/sec actual speed (6.4 Mbps) and I indeed always get the stated upload speed. Pings when playing BF1942 are also not that bad (I've gone as low as 50 ms, although the game is playable up to 150 or so).

...download sucks, upload sucks even more.

odd, really. our isp said theyd be upgrading all 2MB speeds up to 10MB speeds for free this month...

Not bad for a 2mb connection, though I should probably switch to a cheaper ISP one of these days.