Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

The Fall of Newdoom

Scuba Steve said:

Now I remember why I keep coming here. Fucking good times.

I remember that day like it was yesterday.

Scuba Steve said:

Now I remember why I keep coming here. Fucking good times.

Now that you're here, we wont let you leave until you finish Ashun Doom 3!

I wonder if any of the other ND mods like Doom_Dude have anything to share here..

I registered an account there long ago but never really had any reason to post there regularly like I do here. The place was always quite stagnant. The two places I regulated during the Doom 3 hype years was here and Planet Doom.

I also find it very funny this Phoebus guy was the man behind the raven-games stunt.

Technician said:

I registered an account there long ago but never really had any reason to post there regularly like I do here. The place was always quite stagnant. The two places I regulated during the Doom 3 hype years was here and Planet Doom.

I also find it very funny this Phoebus guy was the man behind the raven-games stunt.

Yeah, I was banned from raven-games.com (and NewDoom, despite the fact that I hadn't heard of it then) as a result of that incident. All that was before I even joined Doomworld.

Pathetic.

I loved newdoom.

I didn't know that guy, though. But from what I read here... well, not much to say.

I guess you guys have me, now. Its annoying, because I was on newdoom since 2004 and now I start over. I -love- having very old forum account, for some reason. Oh well.

I hope Phoebus enjoys his forum -all alone-.

Danarchy said:

The fact that he instantly deleted anything that was remotely disrespectful of his site (or remotely appreciative of this site) just kind of hints at the depths of his psychosis.

Things like this are why I come to Doomworld. I'm sick and tired of internet drama and keyboard warrior idiocy. Everyone here just talks about Doom and gets along.

Welcome to anyone who's signing up for the first time.

I feel pity for all of those who found NewDoom as their ideal place for doom discussion, as they just got a stake stabbed through their spine.

Even if he changed the settings back, I can't see even half of the already small community returning.

Bloodshedder said:

I'm afraid you're wrong.

I suppose now that NewDoom is basically dead and the main perpetrator of the hacking is actually dead, the whole story can be told.

In early January 2004, the Doomworld server was being restored from a backup for some reason. For a short time, listings of directory contents were available for browsing to everyone. Amaster was poking around there and found a list of passwords and e-mails leftover from an old version of the forums. He used this info to log in as Lüt on the Doomworld forums and snoop around. Finding it to not be very interesting, he decided to try Phoebus' password he found in the list to log into NewDoom. He was able to access his forum account and FTP account.

The first thing he did was remove all the mods' privileges. Then he gave every account administrator privileges. He changed Phoebus' password and made a global announcement stating that everyone had admin powers. He didn't do any mass deletion of posts.

After that, deathz0r began changing colors, set the software to display 1 post per page, and probably some other things. He also claims he didn't do any mass deletion of posts, but ended up being the scapegoat.

HA! He was trying to convice me that I was making it all up, but I knew this was what happened. i remember seeing goatse and tubgirl EVERYWHERE. God my virgin eyes.

I think I posted there once. It has not been particularly important to me that I should ever be able to post there again. This stuff about ancient drama and memes sounds fun, though. I almost wish I could have been there, seen these things happen, but then I remember that it's better if there are at least some Doom-related things that I do not know.

SFJake said:

I guess you guys have me, now. Its annoying, because I was on newdoom since 2004 and now I start over. I -love- having very old forum account, for some reason. Oh well.

Can an admin change this guy's registration date in the user database? I think we should be hospitable.

I must have missed the fun part of the hacking. He probably did accidentally fry his DB at the same time though. The forums got deleted at the same time (bad corrective measure) and he spent a lot of time restoring stuff from archives.

He was in his insane phase then. I got myself a ban threat for commenting on how cool it was that the new software allowed thread merges. WTF? A ban threat for commenting on the workings of forum software?!?!? Half the regulars got banned for getting mad at him when he went ban happy.

Most regulars will be unhappy about losing the place, but we didn't talk about DOOM there much. The newbies talked about DOOM. The rest of us talked about mapping, women, why Obama isn't Hitler despite what REoL says, and how Al's lists of stuff were boring.

Doom Dude just passed 32000 posts. It said 10000 but that was because we all got reset after the hacking thing when he had about 22000.

Other random thing: Timmy was considering hosting ZDoomGL there at one point. He asked Phoebus if I could moderate that forum. There was no reply. It didn't get hosted there. Phoebus really, really didn't like me at the time for some reason. :D

This mean Doom Dude is going to hang around more? ;)

Bloodshedder said:

In early January 2004, the Doomworld server was being restored from a backup for some reason. For a short time, listings of directory contents were available for browsing to everyone. Amaster was poking around there and found a list of passwords and e-mails leftover from an old version of the forums. . . he decided to try Phoebus' password he found in the list to log into NewDoom. He was able to access his forum account and FTP account.

Reminds me of one of my former employers who insisted on using the same password for EVERYTHING! He regarded data security as someone else's problem - usually mine. Fortunately, he didn't insist on having admin level access to the servers since everyone in the office - and God only knows how many outside - knew his password, it would have been a nightmare picking up the pieces afterwards.

Well Phoebus may have been a huge idiot, but it still kind of sucks to see a somewhat large doom forum go. As for NDCP...err...time to start the Abyssian Doom Community Project line I guess? :P

Haha. TAbCP has already been in progress, and at about the same pace as well. We're only doing around 8 maps total, and it's already been a year and a half!

(*insert random epic music*)

OMG DW forums versus Wmull, well it is not like we haven't seen that before. I made only a couple of posts over there in my time. Heh, why have everybody forgot doomcenter? :P

Well, this thread is officially more interesting than NewDoom ever was. I think I was one of the "banned before you even register" people.

I joined ND after Doom Legacy shifted there after the demise of frag.com

The only people I recall from those days that are still around are Darknation* and Doom_Dude.

I stuck around for several years after the last release of Legacy (2.0 doesnt count) and finally gave up. By this point I had started using my DW account (I had initially signed up, but never used the account). That was a few years ago.

Heh, somehow I was featured in a wad based around the ND hacking. Though that was probably because I was a moderator of the Legacy forum - nothing to moderate though, no one ever posted.

*though I haven't seen DN post in a long time...

Planky said:

Heh, somehow I was featured in a wad based around the ND hacking. Though that was probably because I was a moderator of the Legacy forum - nothing to moderate though, no one ever posted.

We really, really need to get some more dialog going on about this. I can't even seem to find out how to contact anyone who is "working" on the project.

Ichor said:

Yeah, I was banned from raven-games.com (and NewDoom, despite the fact that I hadn't heard of it then) as a result of that incident. All that was before I even joined Doomworld.

Finish CG3

David_Dweedle said:

That's exactly what I posted that got me banned.

I also wonder how many ex-NDers who didn't want to give into WMull's extortionist tactics on having to register for forum access are going to mouth off about him here?

It seems Mystic is the only paid member over there..if he loves talking to himself that is.

And I didn't even check that out. What might it have been about? Heh.

PS Alio: You need a Winona avatar.

rf` said:

Finish CG3

I haven't forgotten about that. I've been working on other projects lately.

Frankly, good riddance. When legacy moved to newdoom it was the beginning of the end for me.