Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

The Fall of Newdoom

Ugh... I can't even send a PM without clearing my inbox because I've exceeded the storage limit, heh. Massive, massive fail.

I went to attempt to register an account at NewDoom, just because I had to see this for myself. All I can say is that there is NO WAY Phoebus could have implemented this without fully knowing it would end NewDoom as a community. If he didn't know that, then he's the stupidest person alive. Considering that he probably did, he's just an asshole instead. Either way, everybody loses, Phoebus included.

Also, I'm surprised by the relatively small number of NewDoom refugees that have popped up here...

StupidBunny said:

Also, I'm surprised by the relatively small number of NewDoom refugees that have popped up here...

That's because many have been happily using both forums for years. Every once in a while there were posts on Newdoom about Doomworld being this scary elitist place full of trolls, but I never really paid much attention to it and never understood the whole rivalry thing.

There were occasionally new users on NewDoom, but only a few of them ever stick around long enough to become regulars. And due to the sporadic nature of activity on the boards, even the regulars weren't all that 'regular'. So I guess that's mostly why it's not a mass migration over here.

Aliotroph? said:

I, for one, welcome our new $vboptions[bbtitle] overlord!

Hahaha, VCPR reference for the win!

DooMAD said:

You can still send PMs to Phoebus without paying. I wonder what we should say to him..... heh.

Yeah, unless he already turned off PMs for you, like he had/has for me.

Aliotroph? said:

EDIT: Phoebus rejiggered the thing so it lets nonsubscribers post five times a day.

Yeah, I noticed that I could post again, but I did my business and I don't think I'm ever going back there except to check the aftermath...

Nomad said:

Yeah, I noticed that I could post again, but I did my business and I don't think I'm ever going back there except to check the aftermath...

Your aftermath was just swept under the carpet, heh. Thread gone bye-bye.

DooMAD said:

Your aftermath was just swept under the carpet, heh. Thread gone bye-bye.

Indeed, it vanished. I had the chance to see it, but when going back to the page I -refreshed- like an idiot, and couldn't get the text back.

I just wanted to save and show the lenghty message here. Oh well.

Stop giving him attention over here, I say. Leave him completely alone. He should know by now that absolutely every single person now hates him, or his actions at the very least.

I would never expect any more topic about him to stay. I think he can't accept how much he failed.

I feel like it is a good thing I could never find motivation to go to NewDoom. Phoebus sounds terrible. And usually when someone is mocked this much, they truly are.

Here's Nomad's post:

I was going to PM this to William yesterday, but my PMs were mysteriously turned off while I was in the process of writing it. I'm going to take this sudden opportunity of being able to post so I can at least have it reach his eyes, even though we all know it will be deleted as soon as he sees it.

_____

I know others have been sending you nasty messages, and although I'm probably just as much upset as everyone else, I'm going to try to be as civil as I can.

Yes, knowing me, that is kind of a shocker.

All of us are left wondering what the thought process behind suddenly making long-time, loyal posters pay for access to an already dying community. If you were intending to alienate every single one of NewDoom's members, you have been successful. Otherwise, I am incredibly confused about your purport.

Especially considering that you did not mention any of this to any of us. We had no way to prepare for this.

Even Doom_Dude and DaniJ666 appear to be completely bewildered by this new "policy". What were the Doomsday folks supposed to do about support? I'd say Legacy is being fucked over too, but we all know that Legacy is dead and Legacy2 will be released alongside Mordeth.

I really doubt anyone is going to pay to use a service that they have been using for free for almost a decade. It doesn't take a Marketing major to figure out that people do not like that. I really doubt that anyone would really come back if you decided to try to return things back to normal.

I realize that you are not made of money, and I know the torment that being a website admin can be, but I think Fatal mirrored the entire community's feelings that you should have just let the site get shut down like originally planned, rather than pull this shit. We feel betrayed. You have betrayed our community.

And that's just it. You may be the admin, you may have been paying the bills all these years, but the community is ours. Yours, mine, and ours. You have proven that you have no regard for the community, and have only your own selfish thoughts regarding it (this also delves deep into the Doomworld "feud" that I suspect has mostly been perpetrated by yourself). The trust has been broken, and we have been burned one too many times. There is no going back.

You have a good life, William.

Here's FreeLanzer's reply:

Way to kill a forum, William "Failbus" Mull.. really nice going.. *golfclap*

I was gonna post a more tactful, logical reply. Not that more than two people would see it since he'd nuke it anyway. His failure to consult (even with Doom Dude) and his ham-fisted tactics remind me of Sony. If he gets anything from me it'll probably be nasty right now. The thing I hate most is censors. Sadly, he adopted that policy of "disappearing" threads after I suggested it to him to combat some of the nastier trolls about six years ago. I apologize for that mistake! He took a perfectly good technology and used it to shut people up.

Kudos to Doom Dude for always being tactful about the things he stopped in their tracks. :)

Oh, I didn't mean my aftermath. I don't really care. I wasn't really intending on being inflammatory or anything. Just stating what everyone else is thinking. I just meant the NewDoom aftermath in general.

I got that same email this morning too...you're not gonna win me back this time, Phoebus. I'm too goddamn cheap to pay to post on a forum that has little activity.

What I want to see is him come here and try defending himself in this thread, that will be amusing if anyone can coax him to register(?) and post.

Phoebus isn't the same guy (Phobus) who has contributed some maps to the Community Chest Projects, is it?

Dr. Zin said:

Phoebus isn't the same guy (Phobus) who has contributed some maps to the Community Chest Projects, is it?

No, he isn't. If he was he would never have had mod position over at Zdoom.org

MasterOfPuppets said:

no, different people. Phobos also used to post at NewDoom at some point, IIRC.

But we aren't talking about anyone named Phobos.

We are talking about Phobus. Different, seriously.

I've seen this kind of thing happen before. The Dungeon Keeper community early on was centered heavily around a site called Fizzban's Keep. Fizzban lost interest and shut down the site with pretty much zero warning, and the Dungeon Keeper community almost completely died out for many years.

Killing communities due to one's own selfish interests and impulses is nothing less than sociopathic if you ask me.

Anyway, welcome to the Doomworld fold, for those of you NewDoomers who choose to stop by here.

BTW, before raven-games went down, I managed to back up all of the wonderful illustrated walkthroughs for the Serpent Riders games, as well as a number of rare mods for Heretic II. If anybody is interested in that stuff, we could try to find a home for it somewhere.

I wonder if there is *still* that sliiight possibility that Doomworld will become the Ellis Island for Newdoom community refugees. Because, like, I'm down with that.

I think such a situation would be THE ULTIMATE slap in the face to wmull.

Well, you've certainly got a few "immigrants" already. I'll stick around too, though like many (former) NewDoomers I was an irregular regular myself.

But perhaps the overall greater amount of activity here might change that!

Bloodshedder said:

He also claims he didn't do any mass deletion of posts, but ended up being the scapegoat.

Actually that was myself (when I was known as Melfice) and my friend who deleted the entire forum database because we couldn't stand WMull. Myself and Picklehammer got banned (supposedly my banning was due to WMull being a homophobe, because I got along pretty well with everyone on the website) and he was "taking out the trash" when he banned us. Pissed off angsty teenager finds himself with forum admin powers, and vengeance ensues. Picklehammer wasn't my partner in the crime though, heh. In retrospect I feel a little bad for all the shit deathz0r got for it, but at the time I was some 15 year old angsty teenager and I really didn't care too much. I think somewhere on my backup hard drive I have some screenshots of when the colors started changing, I thought it was pretty funny at the time. I've been sneaking around there as General Greivous since then.

I still think it was pretty funny that Phoebus was trying to convince me that the whole thing never happened. I definitely remember quite clearly when the shock images started popping up and everyone had admin access.

But, deny everything, admit nothing, sweep the undesirables under the carpet. That is the prerogative of a madman.

Honestly, I was a dick quite often, and I'm really surprised that I was never banned. I was warned about something once, but I don't even remember what it was. And of course Phoebus had to use Doom Dude as a middle man instead of doing it himself. That's also a classic WMull move.

@GG: So it was YOU! Ha.

Hey, what happened to all those awesometastic looking projects you posted screenshots of back there? I don't even remember what they (it?) were now...

newt said:

@GG: So it was YOU! Ha.

Hey, what happened to all those awesometastic looking projects you posted screenshots of back there? I don't even remember what they (it?) were now...

I got sucked into WoW for a few years. Chances are looking good that I might actually finish those projects sometime this year, since I'm sick to death of WoW at this point.

Ah, the black hole of gaming. Heh. Cool that you're working again. I need to get my act together myself and get back to working on Night and TAbCP, among other things. Having other hobbies like music and plenty of chores doesn't help. Argh.

You know, the hypothesis that it takes a tragedy (in this case more like a travesty) to bring people together might apply--in INTERNET form! Weird.

Quasar said:

BTW, before raven-games went down, I managed to back up all of the wonderful illustrated walkthroughs for the Serpent Riders games, as well as a number of rare mods for Heretic II. If anybody is interested in that stuff, we could try to find a home for it somewhere.

Oooh, I would really like to see those walkthroughs, they sounds really neat.

Csonicgo said:

I wonder if there is *still* that sliiight possibility that Doomworld will become the Ellis Island for Newdoom community refugees. Because, like, I'm down with that./B]

I vote the image in the upper left of the forum be made the Statue of Liberty for a week.

Captain Ventris said:

I vote the image in the upper left of the forum be made the Statue of Liberty for a week.

BRILLIANCE. I second this.

What amazes me is how Phoebus made no attempt to hand admin powers off to somebody else. I subscribe to a similarly small Commander Keen forum which has lasted for years as well but has been fortunate in how its various admins have been able to give control over to other members after they get tired of administrating, and also in how all the various admins have been competent people. In fact...this really doesn't amaze me at all, because as from what I'm understanding Phoebus has never been a competent admin. Still, at least trying to make some sort of succession is much better than simply killing the community, especially in the asshat way he went about it.

I, for one, would be happy to see the former Newdoomers settle here.

POTGIESSER said:

Doucheworld is bettar than Newdouche.

THE END

What about Zdouche?