Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eponasoft

Has anyone seen this yet? DOOM 2D

Yeah, it's timeline, just like the 2D Doom RTS.

I was actually more interested in the "New Sonic game coming in 2010...and it's 2D" teaser, found in the page bottom links. Sure all those "Pac Man 3D" and "Frogger 3D" fiascos must have taught developers and distributors something?!

Maes said:

I was actually more interested in the "New Sonic game coming in 2010...and it's 2D" teaser, found in the page bottom links. Sure all those "Pac Man 3D" and "Frogger 3D" fiascos must have taught developers and distributors something?!

The 2D sonic games on the GBA were pretty good. Don't know what the huge deal is.

You mean Sonic Advance (1-3)? I don't think that really counts, as they are 2D. The new Sonic game (project Needle Mouse) is supposedly like Bionic Commando re-armed that was released on the XBLA (a 3D game played as a 2D game).
Then again, we have so little info on it at the moment, so why start complaining?

udderdude said:

Don't know what the huge deal is.

I was referring to the fact that the games' industry has been living with the dogma "3D good, 2D bad" for the last decade and a half, even when it was clearly inappropriate to take this road.

Surely, the worst offenders were some early Playstation "classics" like forced 3D-ified versions of Pacman, Galaga, Frogger etc. pimped as "NEW!" and "ENHANCED!". Nobody remembers those, but it's a fact, 2D games became all but fashion victims after that. Many "enlightened" reviewers would just write off any non-3D game for quite a while, and did their "best" to ensure that 2D was seen in the light of a dying breed.

That being said, there were valid technical reasons for the industry going 3D: game consoles until recently had pitiful amounts of RAM compared to PCs (especially in the Playstation era) so 3D games with their vector graphics and low-res textures were easier to fit in memory than a highly-detailed 2D game. To the point that Xmen vs Street Fighter on the Sega Saturn came with (and required) a RAM expansion module!

Don't be mislead by the positive reception of recent titles like Puzzle Quest etc., this had largely to do with Nintendo's pimping of its handheld consoles. If e.g. Sony was the only player even in that area however, the story would have been different.