Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Dead Space

What do you folks think of Dead Space, regardless of what system it's on? I found it to have some good shocks and having to dismember the necromorphs to kill them quickly. The zero gravity and oxygen areas were also pretty fun since you could walk on the walls and ceilings to fight.

Another thing is that I grabbed Dead Space on the PC via Steam, but I had to download a hex edited config file to use the arrow keys for movement and strafing. A minor inconvenience but I fixed it rather quickly.

Overall, I give it an 8.5 out of 10 because I am a sci-fi horror lover and I like survival horror games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj9RzMujKP0 - Watch the HD version as it looks much better than seen in the standard resolution.

I liked it, played on Xbux360. The sounds effects were really well done, total immersion there.

Line gun ftw. I liked it, as with an engaging plot, immersive gameplay, and some very well-done horror points it stands out in the survival-horror genre, not just for being in space, where no one can hear you scream ;) Definitely one of the better games I've played.

I had no problems w/ controls as WASD is my preferred but it is kind of annoying they didn't allow key bindings.

It was alright, got about two-thirds through the game before losing interest, now that the latest PS3 update wiped my savegames it's unlikely I'll play it again :(

I played it for a bit, but got bored. I find myself unable to get immersed in FPSs these days.

Edit: rewrote to make sense

Dead Space was more of a letdown to me than anything. For starters, it really failed to "scare" me in any way- most sections where I was supposed to feel fear I really only felt "oh, well there's probably more dudes around THIS corner, so I should get prepared...". There was no "new" shit in the game at all, just some constant progression. All the gore kinda made me mad, since a lot of it was tried to be used as means to scare me- i've played Doom since I was five, so it really only annoyed me.

Combat was alright, but I have it ingrained in me to go after limbs and other body parts from FPS's giving damage bonuses to head hits, so I never really got the whole "OH WE GOTS DISMEMBERMENT" thing. Eventually the game just got repetitive more than anything. On a better note however, it did have real "new" weapons. The line gun was interesting, and most of the other weapons had enough purpose to keep lugging them around (but the flamethrower and gravity gun never seemed to have enough purpose).

All in all, it was alright. It's worth a look if you like survival horror, but it lacks some critical components. I think most people here will walk away from the game underwhelmed and wondering why there was so much goddamned ammo.

Finally ended up picking it up this year on Halloween to get into the spirit, not too bad but becomes predictable quick. How many times does an enemy playing dead only to jump out have to happen before you expect it? Once

I liked it.

Shaikoten said:
It seemed like a p. cool System Shock 2 clone :D

Probably has more in common with System Shock 2 then any other game out at the moment, but it's a lot more like Resident Evil 4 in space. But hey, that's cool, Resident Evil 4 was a pretty good game and it's been a while since we've had some good old fashion sci-fi horror.

Dead Space seems to have a minor cult following, like it was an overlooked classic. It certainly wasn't overlooked; it sold well, and is getting a sequel and a spin off on the Wii. It deserved it's good sales to; It's a solid game with some interesting new features. The face that you where basically just a repair man forced to use what where mostly just power tools as weapons instead of a space marine with big space guns was cool as was strategic limb dismemberment and the zero gravity sections. whats more, It was nice to see EA taking on a new IP for once. But some of the praise I hear for this game is a little baffling...

First off; I'm surprised to find people found it scary. Maybe if you've never played Silent Hill, System Shock 2, Thief, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Alien Vs Predator, Penumbra, that one level in Vampire - The Masquerade Bloodlines... Ghouls forest :D... maybe if you've never played a scary game before I could see maybe this game giving a newbie a fright, but I still don't quite by it. While I may be a grizzled Horror game veteran, I'm still not that hard to spook. The hilarious Spanish murderthion Resident Evil 4 got me on edge at times and heck, even Doom 3 made me jump once or twice (hey shut up ok, I wasn't used to the spooky new lighting engine :( ).

Dead Space never managed to give me that all important "oh shit" feeling, instead it I just got a little annoyed with the controls every time a necromorph ripped poor Issac's head off. It's just too dang predictable, partly due to the sound design. The problem was that every time a space zombie was near, the music would got nuts. It's like having a goofy kid sit behind you in a cinema going "The baddies are here! Ahh!" every time the hero is in danger. I tried turning it down, but even then Issac's heart beat gets louder when a bite-ty gets close. Dammit! Give the monsters half a chance to sneak up on me! That's how you get me on edge.

The story gets praise to but to be perfectly honest, I didn't pay that much attention. Mining ship finds a thing called "that maker" and it makes some cult guys got nuts, then horrible things happen, and uhh... well I don't know. just didn't really drag me in.

Still, Combat was fun. I liked the strategic limb dismemberment and Issac's fuck off stomping boots. The zero gravity parts where a hoot as well. It's was fun enough to do a second run through on hard.
So yeah. as far as survival horror goes, you could do a lot worse. It's a hell of a lot better then Resident Evil 5 for one thing. It's not a classic, but it's pretty far from bad.

It was let down by it's absurdly bad control scheme. It may have made sense on the 360. But not on the PC.

kristus said:

It was let down by it's absurdly bad control scheme. It may have made sense on the 360. But not on the PC.

Precisely. I found it utterly unplayable. It looked as if it should have been good but it was absolutely awful in its implementation on the PC. I mean, really, I just couldn't stand to persevere. It was painful to even think about trying. I've yet to try the arrow keys mod mentioned above. That may help.

ArmouredBlood said:

I had no problems w/ controls as WASD is my preferred but it is kind of annoying they didn't allow key bindings.

kristus said:

I'm glad I didn't but this now. I hate games with shitty controls schemes and or fucked up cameras.... heh

kristus said:

See this for a control fix on the PC. The likely reason the default control scheme was like this because it was a console port.

I personally loved the game. I got it on PS3, and I hate FPSs using a controller. I'm a mouse/keyboard player, but I got used to the controls fairly quick. I'm not THAT good at it, but the action was just fast-paced enough to be a challenge for my lousy aiming and movement. I thought the zero-g sections were amazing. The story was good, had it's tense moments, was fun to play. The fact that I haven't played many survival horror games probably helped me out. Most of it was pretty new to me.

Maybe I'm being a fuss pot, but when did it become acceptable to call Third person shooters "FPS's" or "First Person Shooters"? if you need a catch all term you can stick with "action game" or "shooter" or better yet "survival horror" I mean, would anyone call Is Resident Evil or Silent Hill an FPS?

Mr. Chris said:

See this for a control fix on the PC. The likely reason the default control scheme was like this because it was a console port.

Uhm, I don't give a shit about using the arrow keys to move around. I haven't done that since I first started playing Doom. I am talking about the idiotic setup of you having to hold a button just to aim your gun. You can't fire unless you also keep the "aim" button pressed. You can also not do ZeroG jumps, Use the Gravity gun thing, etc.
The controls are so incredibly unintuitive that the game play becomes about as fluent as driving a monster truck in down town New York during rush hour.
The only game that can compete with it for the most convoluted control system is Alone in the Dark 5. It got a similar idiotic set up.

But like I said, I can see why that could have made sense with a game pad. But with mouse keyboard. It's just absurd.

Captain Red said:

Maybe I'm being a fuss pot, but when did it become acceptable to call Third person shooters "FPS's" or "First Person Shooters"? if you need a catch all term you can stick with "action game" or "shooter" or better yet "survival horror" I mean, would anyone call Is Resident Evil or Silent Hill an FPS?

I dunno why, but it started about when GoW came out. I remember I had the same argument with a tosser that used it as example of an FPS game. And people were all like "-Whatevs man, it's all the same blah blah blah" Which I find absurd.
I never liked 3rd person games... At least not as much as I liked 1st person.

Yeah that's my bad, idk why I wrote 'FPS' lol and I'm not a big fan of 3rd person perspective either. Nothing pisses me off like getting munched to death by an enemy I couldn't see because my guy is in the way. That was probably my only real complaint with the game, but I got used to it.