Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RestlessRodent

Got any Doom OPL3 Soundbanks (.o3 or .sb)?

Got any Doom OPL3 Soundbanks (.o3 or .sb)?

Because ALSA sound bank sucks and I got a new OPL3 card so I loaded up alsa's soundbanks in it and it pretty sucks. There any way to convert the Doom's GENMIDI lump to an .o3 or .sb which is taken by `sbiload` if someone has not done it already?

EDIT: In The Sound Blaster Instrument Data Format (sbi)

Well, no. If you are just looking to play the music from DOOM it might be easier to find a DOSbox implementation (or a tool for it) that lets you dump the MIDI output into a raw file that can be played by any OPL2/3 player. I had a version of DOSbox that did that once. Was great for ripping the music out of obscure DOS games. Then I'd play it back in WinAmp and clip it where it should loop before converting the whole mess into whatever format I wanted.

sbiload is the most annoying shit to get working. I tried last night with stock patches and it hangs at patch 000.

Aliotroph? said:

Well, no. If you are just looking to play the music from DOOM it might be easier to find a DOSbox implementation (or a tool for it) that lets you dump the MIDI output into a raw file that can be played by any OPL2/3 player. I had a version of DOSbox that did that once.

AFAIK, they can all do this; but the format of the output DRO files has recently changed so players that have not been updated will not be able to play the new files.

Exactly what card/software allows you to do that so easily with OPL3 instruments? That would be a major breakthrough as far as DOOM/OPL purists are concerned.

Maes said:

Exactly what card/software allows you to do that so easily with OPL3 instruments? That would be a major breakthrough as far as DOOM/OPL purists are concerned.

In order to play MIDI music on Linux via an OPL3 you need to use sbiload to load instrument data, otherwise you get no sound at all.

GhostlyDeath said:

In order to play MIDI music on Linux via an OPL3 you need to use sbiload to load instrument data, otherwise you get no sound at all.

Makes sense...on Windows OTOH there are usually default instrument defs buried deep inside some legacy driver, and you'll be lucky if you manage to jury rig one for another (e.g. on Win 3.1 you could swap Voyetra for Creative FM drivers and change the default FM "soundfonts". Some stuff sounded better, some worse).

What was (and still is) lacking is a way to have ON THE FLY FM instrument bank defs (ot at least a hack for some of the known drivers that allows to do so).

/research/opl in the Chocolate Doom svn repository has a tool that you may be able to use to convert the Doom GENMIDI lump to SBI format. But doing that won't make Linux's MIDI playback sound completely identical to Doom.

fraggle said:

/research/opl in the Chocolate Doom svn repository has a tool that you may be able to use to convert the Doom GENMIDI lump to SBI format. But doing that won't make Linux's MIDI playback sound completely identical to Doom.

Yamaha used an o3 format iirc. that's what we need since opl2 is not as common anymore.