Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Starcraft 2 is worth the buy, I said it

Starcraft 2:WOL has a 26 mission campaign played mostly from one of its three sides (there are several Protoss missions in the campaign) with an intro and ending (i.e. it doesn't end with a cliffhanger and print a big "to be continued" message").

I fail to see how that isn't a "complete campaign"?

Enjay said:

I'm in the same position as WildWeasel. I can appreciate that this is looking like it is one of the best games of its type. However, I just don't like that type of game.

It's not that I don't like them , but I can't get any good at them. I've been playing RTS games casually since C&C. Yet I never win online matches, my friends always destroy me, and I never finish the single player missions. So I've pretty much given up on the genre. I always get caught up in micromanagement or something, I'm still building refineries or petty defenses while everyone else has giant armies and laser beams coming out of the skies.

We used to do LAN parties of Warcraft3, 25-30 minutes into the game I'm already dead and everyone else is having a good time. Fire up Quake3 I guess.

AgentSpork said:

Almost half of the reviews for the game on Amazon (at the time of writing this post) are 1-star reviews. Most of which complain about the game's lack of a complete campaign and the removal of features which, in just about any other RTS, would be expected. Needless to say, I'm a little skeptical that this game qualifies as one of the "BEST GAMES EVAR".

It is what we call a zerg rush, don't trust them.

AgentSpork said:

Almost half of the reviews for the game on Amazon (at the time of writing this post) are 1-star reviews. Most of which complain about the game's lack of a complete campaign and the removal of features which, in just about any other RTS, would be expected. Needless to say, I'm a little skeptical that this game qualifies as one of the "BEST GAMES EVAR".

It's just a butthurt campaign by people that didn't actually buy the game. There's a SC2 torrent asking everyone to give it 1 star on Amazon. Because of Bnet 2.0, no LAN, DRM, the usual crap.

Eh, I'm not buying it.

After Kotick, the REALID fiasco, the removal of LAN support, the game splitting into three parts, and the pants-on-head retarded story, I'm done with SC and Blizzard both. I'll stick with DoW and Civ.

Graf Zahl said:

Forced online registration -> won't bother.

You're one of those people who won't touch Steam either?

Your loss.

Myself I bought the CE because it's evident this game will have a lot of lasting value. The single player is just icing - after a playthrough or two there will still be endless content in custom maps, mid-level multiplayer and following the pro scene.

To all people who are butt hurt for them not releasing all the campaigns at once for that one price. Why are you not butt hurt about the following titles?

Commander Keen
Wolfenstein 3d
Doom
Quake
Quake2
Quake3
Doom3

Diablo 2
Starcraft
Warcraft 3
World of warcraft

A gazillion other titles that had expansion packs

I was disappointed to find out that they had indeed removed LAN play from SC2. The funnest times I have with RTS games are over a LAN with some friends and family. I will buy the game regardless, but still.

kristus said:

To all people who are butt hurt for them not releasing all the campaigns at once for that one price. Why are you not butt hurt about the following titles?
[...]
Doom
[...]
A gazillion other titles that had expansion packs

I'm not quite sure what you have in mind here, but if you're referring to the fourth episode, Thy Flesh Consumed, then that was a free upgrade for those who had paid for the registered (three-episode) version of Doom.

There's a big difference between an expansion and a game that adds missing parts. Starcraft to me is being able to play all three races in the campaign, each with their own storyline. I didn't like the idea of having to pay more just to play each additional campaign. Afterwards though, after buying WoL, I am happy with my purchase.

How long before they churn out an expansion for campaigns for the other two races? I give 6 months tops.

I can't understand who Activision thinks actually plays PC games. Can someone point to me what they think?

While people all over the place are flocking to consoles, the players that prefer PC gaming are the ones that have LAN parties and conventions and have powerful gaming rigs and WAITED 15 YEARS--- FOR THIS?

Keep it up Activision! PC Gaming's almost dead! just give it a few more smacks!

AveryMaurice said:

u mad?

No, not really, because my friends just loaded up TF2 and played that over LAN instead.

kristus said:

Quake1, Quake2, Quake3

There is the Ultimate Quake, which is very expensive, but it is all in 1 package. Maybe we should wait until this happens with Starcraft 2. The other video games you mentioned are cheap.

Deeforce said:

There is the Ultimate Quake, which is very expensive, but it is all in 1 package. Maybe we should wait until this happens with Starcraft 2. The other video games you mentioned are cheap.

I thought about this too, but then I thought about the pricing history of Blizzard games and subsequently bought SC2 on the spot.

From what I know, Blizzard has a history of keeping their retail value high, long after the game's release. I bought Diablo 2 a few months ago for $20, threw in the LoD expansion and it totaled $40.

I predict that a year from now, SC2: WoL will still be $60. Even with the Zerg expansion, it'll be a meager discount that isn't worth the year-long wait after everything's said and done.

Really really great. I thought I'd be rather bored quickly since I did the beta since about the second wave of invites; I was dead wrong. The campaign is amazing, challenging, and fun. The challenge missions let you practice micromanagement, and UMS always keep things fresh.

I actually have to say, this is the first game I've ever played that rivaled the enjoyment I have with Doom.

Best RTS out there.

eargosedown said:

Really really great. I thought I'd be rather bored quickly since I did the beta since about the second wave of invites; I was dead wrong. The campaign is amazing, challenging, and fun. The challenge missions let you practice micromanagement, and UMS always keep things fresh.

I actually have to say, this is the first game I've ever played that rivaled the enjoyment I have with Doom.

Best RTS out there.

Agreed, well cept the fact I didn't have Beta, this is great.
The campaign I really like, one of the few missions "The Great Train Robbery" is a decent challenge in Campaign, but you'll love the new unit introduced.
I'll be doing the normal "challenges" after.

Meh, I could care less about online registration. It's not 'activation' where you get dinged when you reinstall the game. It's basically the same thing as steam in terms of it's implementation, so whatever.

But, I must remember, I am posting on a forum with people who consider the price of installing steam to play portal for free to be too expensive, which says plenty in of itself about this place.

Csonicgo said:

I can't understand who Activision thinks actually plays PC games. Can someone point to me what they think?

Idiots, I guess. Sadly, Starcraft II seems to have sold really well, so I guess they're right.

Oh well, I've given up on video games at this point anyway.

Deeforce said:

Haha, I payed half that for the ENTIRE Id catalogue.

Use3D said:

It's not that I don't like them , but I can't get any good at them. I've been playing RTS games casually since C&C. Yet I never win online matches, my friends always destroy me, and I never finish the single player missions. So I've pretty much given up on the genre. I always get caught up in micromanagement or something, I'm still building refineries or petty defenses while everyone else has giant armies and laser beams coming out of the skies.

We used to do LAN parties of Warcraft3, 25-30 minutes into the game I'm already dead and everyone else is having a good time. Fire up Quake3 I guess.

Yeah the twich-reflex micro in blizzard games since SC at least has always put me off. I want to build tanks and shit, not play DDR. Which is why Koreans love SC so much.......

The C&C series in particular RA1 and RA2 Yuri's Revenge are the epitome of fun RTSes IMO

Grazza said:

I'm not quite sure what you have in mind here, but if you're referring to the fourth episode, Thy Flesh Consumed, then that was a free upgrade for those who had paid for the registered (three-episode) version of Doom.

Technically speaking, all sequent releases of Doom were using the same executable. So in essence they were simply new campaigns for the same game. In particular with respect to Final Doom.

kristus said:

Technically speaking, all sequent releases of Doom were using the same executable. So in essence they were simply new campaigns for the same game. In particular with respect to Final Doom.

Pffft... a lot of expansion packs use the same exe and don't count as "new campaigns"

Mr. T said:

Pffft... a lot of expansion packs use the same exe and don't count as "new campaigns"

But apparently Starcraft counts as an expansion.

Honestly, play through the campaign, and see all the shit they crammed into this game. If you wanted 3x that (for the 3 campaigns) well... that's kinda sad.

Game's worth the money if you like RTS, only reason not to get it would be if you hate the genre, imo.

Wah wah wah no LAN support.

Games I've played on LAN:

DN3D - once
Diablo 1 - once
Q2 and UT99 - several times, doesn't really count since everyone was playing them at school
Starcraft - twice

So yeah, I couldn't care less about LAN support in a single recently released game.

SC had 30 missions, BW had 28. 26 sounds like such a rip-off...

Chances are I'll love SC2 even more than SC+BW.

eargosedown said:

But apparently Starcraft counts as an expansion.

Honestly, play through the campaign, and see all the shit they crammed into this game. If you wanted 3x that (for the 3 campaigns) well... that's kinda sad.

Game's worth the money if you like RTS, only reason not to get it would be if you hate the genre, imo.

There's only one campaign? LOL

I'm glad single player in RTS is only good for practice, hahahahaha

SC2 is really nice. I'm currently at the last mission of the campaign and it's been quite a ride. To be honest, the storytelling isn't all that good and the characters are somewhat flat. After having played Mass Effect 2, this game seems like a dull b-movie in comparison and the dialogue is pretty bad in places. That said, most everything else is really good. I've been playing the game ever since beta and it hasn't disappointed me.

I'll probably give it 8.5 or 9/10. One of the best games since the last chapter came out back in 99. It hasn't had a lot of competition though.

Oh and I love the decision to triple the game's duration and divide it into three 'games'.

chopkinsca said:

I paid over 90$ for Hexen on the N64. The kick in the nuts was 5 years later, the game would sell for 5$ in used game shops.

Damn, I think Perfect Dark was only around $60, and that was the most expensive N64 game I knew of back then. I got that for about $30 brand new when a chain of stores around here was going out of business and all of their games were half off. Same situation though, after my copy was stolen a year or so after I got it I was able to pick up a used copy for something like $10.