Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
exp(x)

You Thought On-Disc DLC Was Bad?

I didn't mean to say that the i7 has poor performance per dollar. I've seen how many CPU marks they get and they're just flat out amazing. I was more talking about things like the athlon II X2/phenom II X2 versus the 1156 Pentium and the i3 processors. Also the Athlon II X3 and Phenom II X3 both aren't represented on that list but they're fantastic for what you're paying for them.

Also frankly using 3DMark06 is probably not the best synthetics test at this point. 3DMark/PCMark Vantage is much better.

Unlockable processor options? This can only end in tears and/or flames.

As for AMD vs. Intel chips, I'd say only go for an i7 if you are going to be doing a lot of processor-intensive rendering (movie, music, 3d or otherwise).

I'm predicting tears if they're options that were locked because they failed quality control tests.

Danarchy said:

Okay, so who here ISN'T running a Phenom II Black x4 965?

I'm running an Athlon X2, take pity on me.

GreyGhost said:

I'm running an Athlon X2, take pity on me.

Pft, I have a single-core Athlon 64 in my Desktop and two Atom netbooks. You have none of my pity.

Shaikoten said:

What's up Phenom II Black x4 crew? We OWN THIS SHIT.

Please, your Phenom II's = a bunch o' spitters and jockeys, my i7 = A tank.

Danarchy said:

Okay, so who here ISN'T running a Phenom II Black x4 965?

I'm running a Phenom X4 940BE.. I suddenly feel so out of date. Guess I better go grab a X6 1090T. 6 cores = 6 penises right?

Doom Marine said:

Please, your Phenom II's = a bunch o' spitters and jockeys, my i7 = A tank.

Your processor is so slow it can't even catch up to someone with yellow health? Good to know.

Shaikoten said:

Your processor is so slow it can't even catch up to someone with yellow health? Good to know.

I don't even need to catch them, I'll be too busy lookin' good with my double GPU's.

Krispavera said:

/strokes his AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

Great minds think alike. Gotta love the x4 965. I jumped ship back in the AMD K6 days in the 90's.

Some thing tells me this is is going to bite Intell in the ass. This is not the 80s or early 90s where computers where not in a lot of homes. Word will get out and people will not be to happy. On top of that with how bad things are in the states due to the economy, people are going to be way more likely to research the hell out of a cpu before buying it. I don't see this lasting very long. One generation of cpu's or less.

What does this matter if the hackers will just crack this themselves and put a crack .exe on the web. I am not interested it upgrading my CPU, but I might get AMD next time, as upgrading to 64BIT looks good right now. But this is like a game I heard about ages ago, some racing game where features were locked away unless gamers paid.

Keep raking in the cash Intel. But you would have to make sure that unlocking these features keeps your machine stable as someone has already pointed out.

Got my Core i7 860 a couple months ago and I'm lovin the hell out of it. Don't do none o' that overclocking shit, though.

Jodwin said:

How the hell can anyone love a processor or any other piece of PC hardware?

Well, pretend that a processor is a Hisui figurine and it all becomes easier ;-)

POTGIESSER said:

I'm running a Phenom X4 940BE.. I suddenly feel so out of date. Guess I better go grab a X6 1090T. 6 cores = 6 penises right?

* Silverwyvern draws Faint a picture
<Faint> OH HEY
<Faint> Silverwyvern, if I send you a picture, can you draw me?
<Silverwyvern> what are you?
<Faint> I am classified as human.
* Silverwyvern is so used to people "Im a golden eagle wuth a unicorn horn and three penises"

Like that, but double.

Jodwin said:

How the hell can anyone love a processor or any other piece of PC hardware?

Well considering my computer would be a fucking paperweight without the processor, and the fact that it's a shit ton faster than what I was using before (this is especially true if you take into consideration the fact that my computer fucking exploded)... it's pretty easy to love. But clearly you take my words too literally here, as I do not have any sort of emotional attachment to inanimate objects (unless it's an album/cd).

And to be realistic, I fucking hate computers anyway, so... yay. :)

Anybody think that instead of boycotting products with idiotic/stupid features like this we should just boycott entire companies who announce idiotic/stupid features? Even if they end up never implementing the idea they ought to be punished for ever assuming people would just accept it.

deathbringer said:

Anybody think that instead of boycotting products with idiotic/stupid features like this we should just boycott entire companies who announce idiotic/stupid features? Even if they end up never implementing the idea they ought to be punished for ever assuming people would just accept it.

I agree with this, actually. It's not like I get many games to begin with, but all companies who treat their customers like small children should be punished.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

all companies who treat their customers like small children should be punished.

Market monopoly/oligopoly, biatch :-p

You can't "boycott" and and all "bad companies" any more than you can NOT vote for either Republicans or Democrats if you're a US citizen. And not voting is not as bad for them as you might think ;-)

I very much doubt that this will go about much.

Deliberately crippling your products in a field with competition isn't smart, especially when the others won't (hopefully) do the same.

hervoheebo said:

I very much doubt that this will go about much.

If they manage to sell stuff like this, they can also do that.

hervoheebo said:

the others won't (hopefully) do the same.

Maes said:

Market monopoly/oligopoly, biatch :-p

Quite the opposite, I expect AMD and even GPU manufacturers to copy this move and exploit similar conservative estimates of their own products to milk more cash in the form of similar 'unlockable upgrade kits' themselves.

This bullshit raises the thorny question of who owns the hardware? If I torrent a patch to unlock CPU features without Intel's consent - what exactly am I stealing?

GreyGhost said:

This bullshit raises the thorny question of who owns the hardware? If I torrent a patch to unlock CPU features without Intel's consent - what exactly am I stealing?

The software to do the unlocking, at least. It won't be illegal to modify your own hardware until they manage, along with video game console manufacturers and Apple, to get it legislated into the next round of insane copyright laws.

Kind of what I said at the beginning of the thread but it's alright, don't listen to the guy with the cybie-butt avatar :sniff:

GreyGhost said:

The unlocking software. Which means that if someone else finds a way around it (and lets face it, we've figured out HDCP, they probably will) and implements their own version of said software and hands it out for free you personally wouldn't be stealing anything. Depending on what country they reside in they might be forced to abide by a cease and desist letter tho. It's almost certainly just a switch in the OEM vendors BIOS.

And I would strongly like to remind everyone in this thread, especially those flipping shit about having ownership or rights or whatever the fuck taken away that the G6951 is not a crippled G6950. It's a G6950 that unlocks to a Core i3, only it retains the same multiplier it had before, and is positioned to replace the G6950 in OEM markets as much as possible

John Smith said:

It's a G6950 that unlocks to a Core i3, only it retains the same multiplier it had before, and is positioned to replace the G6950 in OEM markets as much as possible

Then it's, effectively, a crippled Core i3 :-p

Points of view, but if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...