Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

The uberatomic geekwizard e-peen show-off-your-PC-threads!

What is your PC?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. What is your PC?

• Intel Quad Core
    • Intel Dual Core
    • AMD Quad Core
    • AMD Triple Core
    • AMD Dual Core
    • I`m a Mac user, this button turns my computer on!
    • It runs Windows XP and that`s all I`ll ever need!
    • I only play Doom and it`s still the early 90`s!
    • Pentium III all the way Baby!
    • Buttsecks!
    • I stole a Cray supercomputer
    • I have a WOPR taking up most of my downstairs
    • Computer? Isn`t that one of those newfangled electronic calculating gadgets I`ve been hearing about lately?

Doom Marine said:

And strangely enough, the room reeks of cannibus =p

You know you're jealous of my desk setup. Also you can see my underwear through my dresser.

Shaikoten said:

You know you're jealous of my desk setup. Also you can see my underwear through my dresser.

yep jealous as ever. You might consider elevating your case above the ground, it'll save you a bunch of dust cleaning in the long run.

Doom Marine said:

Hey, why aren't the Mac users voting???

They don't know how to vote. I tried to show them how but they called me a nerd.

Doom Marine said:

Hey, why aren't the Mac users voting??? I know there's a few a mac users around this forum. Where's Hobbs? Where's Esselfortium? Represent Baby!

Probably because you used "PC" in the title, so they think they are not invited. :p

Well I tried to be as Politically Correct as I could, giving everyone the appropriate options! There's just no pleasing the snobby Mac users!

Mac users don't deserve to vote. They are an inferior race that should have been wiped out a long time ago.

Doom Marine said:

And strangely enough, the room reeks of cannibus =p

Hey, why aren't the Mac users voting??? I know there's a few a mac users around this forum. Where's Hobbs? Where's Esselfortium? Represent Baby!

I constantly forget that my laptop is a Mac. It hasn't run OS X at all for almost a year now. My primary PC is a Intel Core 2 Duo E7600, GeForce 9800 GT, 4GB RAM, 320GB Seagate Barracuda, 500W Cooler Master whatever this Intel motherboard is, and your basic 22X DVD+/-RW. Windows 7 x64. This Desktop was literally pieced together over quite a period of time and wasn't really built on any one idea or performance level, and it kinda sucks because of that. Priority one when I get some money is new computers all around, except my servers, which seem to be doing fine.

I just got used laptop for dirt cheap.

Compaq Presario F700
1.8ghz AMD Turion 64 Mobile Dual Core
2x1GB Nanya Tech memory
160gb HDD
GeForce GO 6100.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate at the moment rather well, considering a dual boot with linux of sorts, not really sure.

Mike.Reiner said:

I just got used laptop for dirt cheap.

Compaq Presario F700
1.8ghz AMD Turion 64 Mobile Dual Core
2x1GB Nanya Tech memory
160gb HDD
GeForce GO 6100.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate at the moment rather well, considering a dual boot with linux of sorts, not really sure.

Compaq? Toss it. Whatever you payed for it is way too much.

Craigs said:

Compaq? Toss it. Whatever you payed for it is way too much.

You're funny. It's an HP. (Compaq is a subsidiary of HP, and this F700 is literally a rebranded DV6000.

The gpu gets a bit too warm, but if you don't use it to play games it will be ok.

Calling it a GPU is a bit generous. Really if we're being honest its a DirectX 9.0c and OpenGL 2.1 compatible (W)SXGA controller. It's not even a device on the PCI bus for christ sake, it runs on the HyperTransport bus. I am somewhat surprised that it supports Aero.

John Smith said:

Calling it a GPU is a bit generous. Really if we're being honest its a DirectX 9.0c and OpenGL 2.1 compatible (W)SXGA controller. It's not even a device on the PCI bus for christ sake, it runs on the HyperTransport bus. I am somewhat surprised that it supports Aero.

Generous for sure, it doesn't even run aero smoothly to be perfectly honest.

However, it plays many old games fine, which is all I ask of it. Thief/Thief2, System Shock 2, eDuke32, GLBoom-Plus, Diablo II, Half-Life.. etc.. old shit basically. But even then I don't play them much, I dislike playing games on laptops, this is just for internet, school, shit like that.

Desktop

Case: Silverstone TJ09B-W (black), Scan 3XS brand
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (overclocked to 4 GHz)
RAM: 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1.6 GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 295
Sound Card: Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Hard Drives: 128GB OCZ Vertex (solid state, used as main drive), 1.5TB Seagate, 1TB Western Digital, 750GB Seagate, and 160GB Maxtor
Optical Drive: LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray rewriter
PSU - 1000W Corsair HX Series Modular
Monitors: Dual 30" setup (Dell 3008WFP and Dell 3007WFP)
Cooling: Water cooling throughout, plus 4 12cm fans

Notebook

Model: Sony VAIO F12 S1E/B (black)
Chipset: Motherboard: Intel PM55 Express
CPU: Intel Core i7 740QM (1.7 GHz)
RAM: 6GB DDR 1.333 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Sound Card: Realtek HD
Hard drive: 500GB Toshiba
Optical Drive: TSSTCorp Blu-Ray player/DVD writer
Screen: 16.4", but usually connected to a 50" Samsung plasma TV (a screen also used for my PS3)

I don't have a working digital camera right now, but the sites I bought them from have pics:

Scan 3XS Triad

Sony Vaio F12 S1E/B

John Smith said:

Its a nice looking laptop but theres a lot better available for 999 from ASUS right now.

Oh, I'm sure there are... but I ended up settling on this one. I actually got it for $150 cheaper than what Amazon has listed at the moment. Obviously the style is a pretty big draw, but it's also got a good level of balance between power and battery life as well, which is one of the major reasons I chose this one. The 10 hour battery life listed on the amazon page is obviously a load of crap, but I've been able to clock in at about 7 and a half hours which is much better than any other laptop I've ever used (my old laptop could barely get over 2 hours in power saver mode). Oh, and the display is absolutely gorgeous. 14" is a bit of an odd size for a laptop, but it's actually just the right size for what I was looking for. My old laptop was a little bit too big and bulky for me to be dragging around with me all day.

And on the performance side, it's certainly not a lightweight. Sure, it's not a gaming machine... but that's not what I bought it for anyway. 90% of the games I play are at least 10 years old. For everything else it works wonderfully.

NiGHTMARE said:

Desktop

Case: Silverstone TJ09B-W (black), Scan 3XS brand
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (overclocked to 4 GHz)
RAM: 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1.6 GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 295
Sound Card: Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Hard Drives: 128GB OCZ Vertex (solid state, used as main drive), 1.5TB Seagate, 1TB Western Digital, 750GB Seagate, and 160GB Maxtor
Optical Drive: LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray rewriter
PSU - 1000W Corsair HX Series Modular
Monitors: Dual 30" setup (Dell 3008WFP and Dell 3007WFP)
Cooling: Water cooling throughout, plus 4 12cm fans

That's a whole lot of PC. Assuming you bought it from SX3 pre-built, have you at one point, ever considered getting the individual components, assembling them yourself, and pocketing a few hundred?

exp(x) said:
Did you win the fucking lottery or something?

His Bakery sells a lot of bread and cake.

Doom Marine said:

That's a whole lot of PC. Assuming you bought it from SX3 pre-built, have you at one point, ever considered getting the individual components, assembling them yourself, and pocketing a few hundred?

Not all of those components came with the pre-built system. The sound card, all the hard drives except the main solid state drive, and the blu-ray drive all came from my previous system (based around an Phenom 9950 and a Radeon X1950).

All my previous systems for the last 12 years or so have been cobbled together by me, but for this one I really wanted to go with a watercooled, heavily overclocked system, and I figured it would save a lot of time and effort, and avoid potential problems, if i just got someone else to do it for me ;).

exp(x) said:

Did you win the fucking lottery or something?

If you call inheriting a bunch of money from your grandparents winning the lottery :D.

I thought about watercooling at one point, but decided against it, as water cooling employs air cooling anyway, and in this sense, makes it an inherent system redundancy, and it increases the maintenance complexity of the system beyond conventional air cooling.

My PC currently uses a system of fans with superfine dust filters, arranged with more intake than exhaust, to keep a positive pressure environment that leaves the components dust-free, even a year after setup.

I have my i7 920 overclocked to 4.0 GHz as well, in assembling the components, testing the system's limit, and setting up the cooling arrangement myself, I've gained a great deal of understanding that I wouldn't have otherwise if someone did it for me.

myk said:

His Bakery sells a lot of bread and cake.

In other words - NiGHTMARE's rolling in dough. ;-)

NiGHTMARE said:

If you call inheriting a bunch of money from your grandparents winning the lottery :D.

Well looky here, you cheeky bastard!

CPU: I7 920 Quad Core, overclocked to 3.7Ghz (from 2.67Ghz)
RAM: 3G DDR3
GRAPHICS: ATI Radeon 4870 x2 (2G of memory)

Gigabyte motherboard, and an antec Nine Hundred case:
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/2773/s5000089xa0.jpg
(leeched someone else's photo)

Cant remember the rest of the specs.
Will probably grab another 4870x2 when Crysis 2 comes out and run it in Crossfire mode. Running XP still, but will dual boot on another HD with Windows 7 eventually.
Very happy with it.

@Doom Marine: Congrats on getting to 4Ghz! My gigabyte motherboard and the help of some serious overclockers got me up to 3.7, but I haven't bothered going any higher. The ATI card I haven't bothered overclocking yet.