Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Call of Duty: Black Ops

I thought blackops was underwhelming and really badly put together. So continues the list of games that came out recently and kinda sucked.

People are idiots and yell about everything. It's fun.

edit: Oh, that's what you thought. I thought you were reading the general consensus. Everybody's yelling about nothing.

I've heard a lot of people say its garbage, not even from people who label themselves gamers.

My friends and I are enjoying it quite a bit so far. The only issue we are having is the "party is no longer active" bug that sometimes prevents us from playing in the same server. We aren't the only ones experiencing this glitch though, so hopefully it is being addressed. Otherwise I have been happy with the experience.

I would comment on the quality of the game, were it not for being unable to play the thing due to so many performance issues and other technical problems.

Rushed, botched, shitty console > PC porting at it's worst.

Csonicgo said:

I lagged so bad I said I'd never play it again.

It was pretty bad the first couple of days but I don't have issues with it now unless someone has a bad connection.

The campaign is interestingly written, and gives a good sense of how fucked up a blackops guy can get going through the things they went for in that period.

And then it's fucking ruined by terrible plot twists.

I watched a stream of some multiplayer, and after I realized I wasn't watching a CS match (took about 15 minutes) I decided I was too underwhelmed to purchase it.

The way they're doing PC dedicated servers too is another reason I'm going to pass here. I'm sure it's fun, it just doesn't look like anything really special.

Vile said:

My friends and I are enjoying it quite a bit so far. The only issue we are having is the "party is no longer active" bug that sometimes prevents us from playing in the same server. We aren't the only ones experiencing this glitch though, so hopefully it is being addressed. Otherwise I have been happy with the experience.

Knowing Activision it shouldn't take them too long to fix it. A year at least.

I'm sure it's fun, it just doesn't look like anything really special.

From my experience, if you've played one Call of Duty game, you've pretty much played them all. The sheer amount of recycled content and resources doesn't exactly help either. Aside from changes in visuals, they all feel the same. There will occassionally be something interesting like the jet ski section in MW2 but they tend to be extremely brief. Once the moment's over, it's back to the same boring gunplay we've seen since the first game.

The graphics are pretty terrible. I mentioned on IRC my friend got the PS3 version when it came out, so I headed over there to have a look. Washed out textures, sterile, flat environments devoid of life (just look at the 'vegetation'). Honestly looks like a PS2/Gamecube era game. I guess they did this to keep the frame rate high, but wow, it's shitty looking. Bad Company 2 blows it out of the water graphically, and I didn't care for how the guns felt either, at least the few I tried. Some of the maps are so damn small playing anything other than a run-and-gun class is useless. Not impressed.

Campaign is AWESOME. Not much in the way of re-playability, but that's par for the course. Zombies mode is somewhat fun, but it's near impossible to find a matchmaking lobby for it and solo isn't nearly as enjoyable.

Mutliplayer would be good... if the hit detection wasn't so shitty and the spawn system would actually make sense. ("Hey, let's spawn both teams at the same spot for a bit! That won't be annoying at all!") That, and once again the bad players are ruining it for everyone, what with all the recursive "Nuke Town" domination lobbies and panic knifing and people rushing to unlock their 40mm GLs so they can try to go back to their MW2 ways. Guess they've got to find some way to get the game to hold their hand for them.

Graphically, it's great. At least on the console side, I doubt the port to PC is anything special in that rate. The only shortcoming I noticed there was the shadows are still a bit "shaky" and pixelated, but not as bad as in previous ones nor in other big name console titles like Halo or BC2.

Use3D said:

The graphics are pretty terrible.

I get the occasional hiccup where it doesn't look like the textures on my gun have rendered all the way, but other than that I disagree.

Xeros612 said:

what with all the recursive "Nuke Town" domination lobbies

Yeah. That map is too small. Why everyone wants to play on it is beyond me. I think I'm growing to like it, though. So I may be one of the guys doing it to you in the future.

Got it for the PS3, pretty solid game actually, less bullshit than MW2, havn't encountered any noob-tubing, quick-scoping etc.

I don't know why everyone is complaining about the graphics - they look good to me, nothing special but not bad, adequate.
(also some of the custom emblems I've seen are hilarious - I wonder how long that guy with the 'cock being jerked-off' emblem has until he gets reported :L)

On the downside, it can lag, bad. Also, the invite system is broken on the PS3 so I can't play with friends at all, and it still hasn't been patched a week later, what's going on there?

Use3D said:

Honestly looks like a PS2/Gamecube era game.

That's such BS. PS2 definitely never looked that good, and Gamecube only gave the illusion from time to time that it looked really good. You're right though, BC2 looks much better. The engine that powers Black Ops runs perfectly at any and every moment, though, which I can't say about BC2 - and I have a pretty killer rig to play both on.

Craigs said:

From my experience, if you've played one Call of Duty game, you've pretty much played them all..... Once the moment's over, it's back to the same boring gunplay we've seen since the first game.

This is what bothers me the most. Such unaffecting stuff. Fun to dick around in, and some awesome moments, but overall such a FLAT experience. I have no better word than "flat" to describe COD games now.

I'm still having fun playing DooM wads. And after everything I heard about it and how underwhelmed I was at the sterile pseudo Hollywood wannabe linear rail shooters that the latest Modern Warfares and Call of Duties were... I'll pass on buying this one... no thanks. :0

I might download it though.

DeathevokatioN said:

I might download it though.

Congratulations! You're a prick! Unless you're referring to the Steam release which I highly doubt you are all things considered.

CoD 2 had probably the most fun dm I've ever played. I haven't played these newer ones mostly because of the 'modern' warfare I'm not interested in. I'd definitely would like to give a chance for the multiplayer though, but I do not want to take a risk and buy it not because of the technical problems, but rather the gameplay being more in console terms I hear.

xepop said:

I haven't played these newer ones mostly because of the 'modern' warfare I'm not interested in.

This is the reason I didn't get CoD 4 when it came out, but now I regret it. It's the same basic formula as CoD2, just with more modern weapons. Some think this is bad but it's this simplicity that makes me love Call of Duty so much.

Congratulations! You're a prick!

Get real. This is Activision we're talking about, not some indie that actually needs the money. There's more than enough fools willing to shell 60 bucks for a 3 hour game plus 20 bucks for 3 maps as a DLC to balance for piracy, +$745 millions a year is more than enough proof of that.

Xeros612 said:

Congratulations! You're a prick! Unless you're referring to the Steam release which I highly doubt you are all things considered.

Honestly, I don't give a shit about people pirating games if it's a company like Activision. Seems more like karma to me since they've got a habit of fucking their customers over with shitty DRM.

I might consider getting it off steam if it goes on sale for around $10. Honestly, the game doesn't seem like it'd be worth anywhere near $60.

Phml said:

Get real. This is Activision we're talking about, not some indie that actually needs the money. There's more than enough fools willing to shell 60 bucks for a 3 hour game plus 20 bucks for 3 maps as a DLC to balance for piracy, +$745 millions a year is more than enough proof of that.

Big name company != justification for piracy. Besides, if you're bitching about DRM, think for a moment why DRM was made. All you're doing is contributing to a catch-22.

Phml said:

shell 60 bucks for a 3 hour game

You're going to say this knowing there are people who play these games online 16 hours a day?

Xeros612 said:

Besides, if you're bitching about DRM, think for a moment why DRM was made.

I was made to bring peace and prosperity to Doomworld. The project lost funding midstream and they just kicked whatever crap they'd finished out the door.

DuckReconMajor said:

I was made to bring peace and prosperity to Doomworld. The project lost funding midstream and they just kicked whatever crap they'd finished out the door.

Haha, that was kind of unexpected.