Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Dissatisfied with modern games?

Spleen said:

When achievements first started coming out in games, it seemed such a silly idea that I wondered whether it was trying to make a mockery of bad video games. I don't understand what is interesting about them at all.

I personally see them as little more than added mini-challenges for the game in question, though some of them are absolutely pointless(or even more pointless than they are as a whole). (E.g. "15 minutes of fame" in Battlefield Bad Company 2: play online for fifteen minutes.)

Aliotroph? said:

Achievements are cool. Well, they can be cool. The well-designed ones do a good job of highlighting when you manage to do insane things many of us do anyway: jump into a nearly inaccessible place, run through the game with one weapon, etc. Some of those things are well regarded among Doom players, at least as feats of clever macho silliness. Having them in a game hurts nothing.

Having the "walked out of the tutorial area" achievements really sucks. I suspect those are put in there so people unsure of the whole experience can feel like they got a reward for sticking with it for a few minutes.

Achievements seem to be all over the place. Some developers put actual effort into them, and some don't care at all. It is especially bad in Japanese games. They want their games to become work if you want all the achievements.

Xeros612 said:

I personally see them as little more than added mini-challenges for the game in question, though some of them are absolutely pointless(or even more pointless than they are as a whole). (E.g. "15 minutes of fame" in Battlefield Bad Company 2: play online for fifteen minutes.)

Achievments do make sense as goals or mini-challenges as said. FOr example, I thought I heard that the XBL Doom has an achievment where you earn it by killing a Cyberdemon with ur fists. Now that's an achievment.

I don't have a problem with achievements. I think certain achievements are silly and unnecessary (you killed the first enemy in the game, achievement!) Also, I don't understand people that grind in games they don't enjoy for achievements.

Achievements are great. When done well, they add nice mini-objectives to the game that you can actually have fun trying to, uh, achieve. And if for one reason or an other you just don't like doing that you can simply ignore them. It's not like their whole existence takes away from the rest of the gameplay.

It seems the best ones involve the player achieving something that isn't normally easy to do. So anything that is guaranteed to happen is out, as is anything you could just grind for. The best ones involve perfecting a skill or having the persistence to do something improbable. I had a good laugh at the ones in Metro 2033. Most of the ones I got were too easy, including the one about getting through the ghost level without dying. Then there were some that would take some impressive skill, like getting through the Nazi level without killing anything.

Achievments

The most insane example being:-

...I believe you get 30 "gamer points" if you do this on the Xbox version. You get a tick in a box if done on the PC.

Oh wow, that's ridiculous.

I actually met a girl the other day who never plays her Wii just because it doesn't have achievements. True story.

The Wii is fine. BUt not playing it because it lacks Achievments is a bit retardo. I take she ignores PC, PS2, all handhelds, anything not XBox 360?

Clonehunter said:

The Wii is fine. BUt not playing it because it lacks Achievments is a bit retardo. I take she ignores PC, PS2, all handhelds, anything not XBox 360?

She seemed to only have games for X-Box and PS3.

Acheivements are just guidelines for things to do once you beat the game. "Are you sure you're bored with the game? Try doing this shit right here."

the only achievement that ever made me happy to have...achieved...is the "nein nein nein" achievement for Quakelive.

DoomUK said:

...I believe you get 30 "gamer points" if you do this on the Xbox version. You get a tick in a box if done on the PC.

heh, I'm guessing that's where the guardin gnome achievement in L4D2 originated from them. I'm actually surprised by just how seriously people take achievements. I remember joining a server in L4D2 where two people were trying to get the guardin gnome achievement on expert mode. They had made it to the finale and moments before starting it, a griefer joined and incapacitated them both before leaving. They spent the next 5 minutes discussing how they would get the guy completely banned from Steam. What's sad is that it's not the first time I've seen someone get this worked up over achievements, whether or not they even serve any real purpose.

Captain Toenail said:

Only problem I really have with modern games is lack of replayability, often I just don't have the desire to play through the single-player portion again.

Which is what modding does to increase the product's life..some developers are just too stupid to include modding tools and/or an SDK so players can make their own content.

Mr. Chris said:

Which is what modding does to increase the product's life..some developers are just too stupid to include modding tools and/or an SDK so players can make their own content.

Unfortunately, the truth is that either most developers and mostly publishers (as I think their mostly the blame here) nowadays are more interested in filling up their pockets than supporting fan bases.

That's why I stick with Bethesda. They know that getting rid of mod tools would be a literal death sentence for sales, at least on PC.

DoomUK said:

Back in 2008 my friend was trying to get this acheivment, in the part with the garage and the rebel questioning his commitment to the cause, my freind left "Gnomie" on the car. After he came back from destroying the auto guns, Gnomie was gone :P

I'd much rather retro side scroll than realistic 3D. Games are games...

However, I do think that people just love tearing stuff down. We watch Internet videos that just insult things. That's what society is becoming.

Like movies aren't even good in people's minds anymore. Maybe there's so much burnout, when an action movie now-a-days has the same budget in the first 15 minutes that an entire action movie would've had in the 80s.

I know I love reading a negative review tons more than a positive one. There's just something about the Internet that makes people warmly embrace being bitter about everything.

1. Its easier to tear down than build up. It requires a lot less thought.
2. Its funny to tear something down like ha ha your hard work and i peed on it.
3. Think of the classic stodgy businessman who went to college, manages a company and earns 6 figures... only to get hit in the face with a pie from some clown who dropped out of HS in the 9th grade.

Times are changing, gaming standards are being lowered in many cases. As much as I hate to say it, I don't think mainstream games will be you known, made with passion like in 80s/90s. The passion is long gone, gone because of giant influx of money developers got. The worst part is that we can't do shit and that there are more COD kiddies than us old gamers this gen. This sucks ice. In conclusion, money corrupts even the best game devs.

Lowered? I think they're being raised intollerably high. Because if they aren't up to a high level... you can just pop in an old game you've forgotten about. Unless of course you only have your iPhone, then you'll pay a buck to not be bored on a train.

Graphics standards have gotten intolerably high. Gameplay has not, it seems. ;P