Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Varis Alpha

Duke Never Comes Early

This honestly doesn't bother me that much. As the article said it's only a month long delay. I'm willing to give them that over, say, several months to a year long delay. I'll be bothered if they delay it again after this, but for now let's give it to them in good faith. It's not the same company after all.

Works for me. It'll release after the semester ends and I'll get to play it guilt free!

Krispavera said:

Works for me. It'll release after the semester ends and I'll get to play it guilt free!

Pretty much my thoughts too... should be job-hunting, but hey, there'll be time for the Duke.

I still think they might trick everyone next Friday with a surprise demo or something.

I figure I'll get it for Xbox when it gets released. Haven't been waiting for it really. If I need a duke fix, I play the old games :)

^ eh, noone knows that. While I can wait, I think this is just retarded. They are probably doing it on purpose to build hype for what could be an Epic Win, or an Epic Fail.

I preordered The Balls of Steel Edition. A living testament to Hell Freezing over, but now it seems to be thawing a bit. I'm not expecting it to be "Best game evar!", but I think it will be a decent title. Me and my bestfriend have played alot of Duke3d dukematch modem games, and Duke64 splitscreen, so we're both looking forward to this one.

Explosive shotgun shells in Duke64 were the cheapest weapon to have ever been put in a video game.

They can take as much time to polish as they want. I'm not looking at this game for cutting age tech. I'm rooting for a fun FPS that can amuse me for a few hours.

POTGIESSER said:

Explosive shotgun shells in D64 were the cheapest weapon to have ever been put in a video game.

Excluding those shells, Duke 64 may have had the most balanced, varied arsenal of any game to date.

POTGIESSER said:

Explosive shotgun shells in Duke64 were the cheapest weapon to have ever been put in a video game.

Overpowered but fun. I still have fond memories of playing four player split-screen on the level with the pirate ship. We'd play duck hunting. One person would grab a jet pack and some weapons, the other three would wait on the shore with shotguns loaded with explosive shells. The duck would fly up, strafe around while firing back and the rest of us would try to take him down with explosive shells. It was a damn hoot.

goldeneye is even more overhyped than halo.
i stopped caring about duke nukem 15 years ago...but i'm still gonna buy this when it eventually comes out just to own a piece of history.
i don't know when i'll actually get around to playing it.

Duke Never Comes Early

Seeing how high the melting temperature for steel is, this doesn't surprise me.

Ralphis said:

Probably better than Goldeneye

I certainly thought so. I too have fond memories of split screen play with either my brother or friends who came over to play with us. I always liked the fact that they took a different direction with some of the guns on the N64 version, introducing ones that were completely seperate from the PC version. Made the game that much more fun. Castle Dukenstein for the win! :D

I saw Duke64 and Doom64 at Pink Gorilla last time I was there. Only reason I didn't buy them was because they didn't have a price tag. I should have asked. To get further off topic, they were selling Ogre Battle 64 for $55 without the box. I have that game in the box. :o

My favorite Duke64 map was the ship map. We'd just throw pipebombs through the two teleporters on that map all day long.

Also I think the new Duke will probably be really fun as long as you haven't already predetermined to love it or hate it.

AndrewB said:

Whatever. It's not like it's going to be good or anything.

AndrewB wouldn't care about it unless it looked like Mario 3, played like Mario 3 and was Mario 3.

Wait... or was this a troll? I'm so confused!

Well the last few iterations of DNF have seemed to be way too refined and cookie cutter-esque to hold a candle to the original Duke 3D, but I suppose after the seemingly interminable development cycle we'll all be preordering it anyway just to celebrate.

My biggest complaint with the game, really, is the color correction. Has that edgy, washed look that virtually every non-Valve shooter has nowadays. That's great for some situations, but I'd argue that the extensive reliance on digitized photographs (along with the more obvious palette restrictions) for textures/sprites in DOS games are one reason their environments were far more balanced in regards to "visual noise" (or lack thereof) and color than modern ones.

Scuba Steve said:

AndrewB wouldn't care about it unless it looked like Mario 3, played like Mario 3 and was Mario 3.

Wait... or was this a troll? I'm so confused!

I want it to be Duke Nukem 3D: 2011 Edition. I'm assuming it's going to be Halo: Duke Nukem Edition.