Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

Playstation Network Placed in Glad Bag, Tossed Off Pier with Concrete Block

Sony Shuts Down PlayStation Network Indefinitely. Not a joke.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/04/25/22402/

From the article:

On Monday, the Japanese electronics giant said it is keeping its PlayStation Network videogame service offline indefinitely following a hacking attack it now says may have compromised user’s information.

To ensure the network’s integrity, Sony said it is currently rebuilding the service, which connects more than 75 million PlayStation customers over the Internet, letting them play videogames and chat together. “This is a time intensive process and we’re working to get them back online quickly,” Sony spokesman Patrick Seybold said in a blog post.

Sony is still investigating the “external intrusion” that forced the electronics giant to shut down its network last Wednesday. In an email, the company also said it is also trying to figure out if any personal information, such as credit card numbers, may have been compromised in the attack.

Dassa beeg oopsie.

In the meantime, they could release a patch to allow us to play games online without PSN.

Bucket said:

In the meantime, they could release a patch to allow us to play games online without PSN.

They need to do something, fuck!

PSN was hacked, for starters.

And PS3 certainly beats the hell out of 360 any day.

And not only that, but both the single player and multiplayer of games now aren't memorable in any way.

I find this insulting, being a PS3 owner.
I want the online to be back, but it isn't sony's fault.

yellowmadness54 said:

I find this insulting, being a PS3 owner.

You find it insulting that they shut down the network in order to protect YOUR information, along with millions of others from an external source attempting to hack in? My God how insulting of them to try and keep your finances and identity safe.

And PS3 certainly beats the hell out of 360 any day.

Not only is this subjective, but exactly what bearing does that have on anything whatsoever?

I'm glad they shut it down. My credit card info is on there! This is definitely a really messy situation and it's going to hurt Sony's reputation even more in the long run, but at least they're trying to handle it.

I'm not much of a console guy but I still love my PS3. Only reason I didn't go 360 was because I already have a completely capable gaming PC. All I'm missing out on is like.. Halo or something.

Kirby said:

You find it insulting that they shut down the network in order to protect YOUR information, along with millions of others from an external source attempting to hack in? My God how insulting of them to try and keep your finances and identity safe.

no, The fact that this thread is implying PSN sucks or is bad and sony sucks for doing it.
I'm sure what sony is doing right now is reasonable.

It was funny, too, because one of my friends in school wanted to get crysis 2 to play with me online, and just when gets the right ammount, he walked in yesterday all proud, I tell him what happened to sony and watch his mood suddenly drop.

It was hilarious.

But yes, PSN should be back up soon, which is good. I hope I dont find any of my stuff messed up, fortunately I spent all my money all ready on stupid stuff. Stupid hackers, cant get my money ;)

Krispavera said:

I'm glad they shut it down. My credit card info is on there! This is definitely a really messy situation and it's going to hurt Sony's reputation even more in the long run, but at least they're trying to handle it.

I agree. I don't need these assholes getting my info.

skaman86 said:

what is your PSN name?

I remember on PSN I was hacked once. I called sony, got a new password, and the lil brat got a banning. I also traced his username to his real name (he posted both on his twitter) which was quite hilarious to me.

yellowmadness54 said:

no, The fact that this thread is implying PSN sucks or is bad and sony sucks for doing it.

No one has implied that, super brain.

yellowmadness54 said:

But yes, PSN should be back up soon, which is good.

On Monday, the Japanese electronics giant said it is keeping its PlayStation Network videogame service offline indefinitely following a hacking attack it now says may have compromised user’s information.

You do know what that word means don't you? Come to think of it, you did read the article didn't you?

It couldn't have come at a more inconvenient time for me 'cause I was looking to take Mortal Kombat online and pound some chumps into the ground, but looks like I'll have to wait. In the mean time, I have been unlocking stuff and doing the challenge tower.

If it got hacked, and they are rebuilding it, then more power to them. My card info was on there too, and they can take as long as they need. Remember, we aren't paying a dime for this (outside of our ISPs), so I'm not complaining.

Craigs said:

You do know what that word means don't you? Come to think of it, you did read the article didn't you?

Oh well, all it would do is distract me from doom and my map making.

I have to say it certainly sucks how both of these events happened at the same time.

skaman86 said:

Too late!

Craigs said:

You do know what that word means don't you?

For an indefinite amount of time? I doubt they'll keep it offline any longer than they need to; they'd certainly be incredibly foolish to shut it down permanently.

I smell retaliation. To suggest this had nothing to do with the attacks by Sony on their users' freedoms and the seizures and lawsuits against graf_chokolo and geohot is like saying a gun doesn't smoke after you fire it.

I'm glad I'm a PC gamer at times like this. Well, sure sucks for both PSN users and Sony. Hope the situation gets better.

I don't own a PS3 and I've never used the Playstation Network, but I still have experience of it. The reason is that the idiots who designed it never bothered to include verification of email addresses entered when creating an account, so someone created an account using my email address.

This has happened on other websites, and when it happens, I usually use the password reset function of the website to access the account and delete it, or at least change the email address to point somewhere else that isn't going to cause me to receive spam. In the case of PSN, the password reset function required, as a security feature, that the date of birth of the user also be entered. This provided an extra level of annoyance as I then had to write a script to bruteforce the date of birth before I could close the account.

This happened twice.

In summary, it was already obvious to me that the programmers behind PSN were short-sighted, incompetent and clueless about security, so it's no surprise that they also apparently made schoolboy mistakes like storing the passwords of their users in a plain text, unhashed form, or designed a system with gaping security holes that allowed the personal information of all their users to be stolen.

fraggle said:

This provided an extra level of annoyance as I then had to write a script to bruteforce the date of birth before I could close the account.

The mere fact you were able to do this astounds me; just about every system I use either limits the login attempts (typically 5) or has captcha/recaptcha enabled. Ridiculous.

skaman86 said:

Same as the name on the posts. skaman86.

I'll add you whenever this mess gets cleared up. I have barely any friends on my account, most are people I originally 1v1ed with and forgot to delete.

I only had a few friends I did alot with.

I really dont understand for what reason they did this to PSN. To selflessly harm 70million people in collateral for what ever stupid reason isn't right.

Sodaholic said:

I'm glad I'm a PC gamer at times like this.

You've nothing to worry about - until your ISP gets hacked. ;-)