Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Technician said:

Yeah, but really, the price difference is great enough to care.

Pretty much. There's a little more than a $60 price difference for Europe alone. Japan needs to pay $70.

So based on what I've heard, my failed attempt to weed-whack the lawn today (bloody string running out) was more exciting than the actual presentations.

Why again should we care about this event?

Xeros612 said:

So based on what I've heard, my failed attempt to weed-whack the lawn today (bloody string running out) was more exciting than the actual presentations.

You shouldn't. Go back to lawn maintenance.

yellowmadness54 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc_arVX3G6s

this wasnt boring. This gave me new hope.

Hooray, another entry in the series Ubisoft took from Crytek that has nothing at all to do with the original besides the presence of guns and a first person perspective. Not the most exciting news.

I did kind of forget that Skyrim was supposed to be shown here, but I'm still back in Morrowind and blew most of my spare cash on Brink (not a bad investment, really. At least not on PC.), so no sense in getting all that excited. Same goes for Battlefield 3.

Whoo said:

And with the ME3 details revealed at E3, I'm now isolating myself from any site that relates to the game so I can stay spoiler free.

I agree 100%

I found it extremely annoying when huge spoilers were given in a fucking trailer.

We spend the entire first 2 games trying to prevent the reaper invasion, and now we already know it was all for nothing in ME3 simply because a bloody trailer told us.

A bloody trailer.

There isn't even anything dramatic about the idea of the reapers invading Earth anymore because we already know its going to happen now.

hardcore_gamer said:

We spend the entire first 2 games trying to prevent the reaper invasion, and now we already know it was all for nothing in ME3 simply because a bloody trailer told us.

you didn't spend any time in me1 OR 2 trying to prevent the reaper invasion, and the events in me2 being "all for nothing" was spoiled by... me2. bugmen proxy war GOTO me1 ending. the whole "war on earth" thing was revealed when the game was announced anyway.

I agree with you, it's stupid, but that's pretty much been bioware's MO since they sold to EA. they did the same thing with me2 and the whole "dead shep" bit. also, someone said the me3 gameplay trailer needed MORE cinematics? do what now?

Xerox612

Hooray, another entry in the series Ubisoft took from Crytek that has nothing at all to do with the original besides the presence of guns and a first person perspective. Not the most exciting news.

people can douche on FC2 all day and be mostly right, but it was like half of a really awesome FPS and if the stupidest bits of design get fixed - guard posts, guard posts everywhere - while keeping the same free-roaming, highly-optioned approach then I'm in.

Liam said:

people can douche on FC2 all day and be mostly right, but it was like half of a really awesome FPS and if the stupidest bits of design get fixed - guard posts, guard posts everywhere - while keeping the same free-roaming, highly-optioned approach then I'm in.

Agreed.

Also, if you want a "sequel" to FC1, then just play...umm...you know... Crysis?

Liam said:

be mostly right, but it was like half of a really awesome FPS and if the stupidest bits of design get fixed - guard posts, guard posts everywhere

Don't forget the broken AI, gundealer missions that involve shooting delivery trucks that go in the same exact circle over and over again until you take them out, overly repetitive missions, and somewhat shitty vehicle handling. Honestly, Far Cry 2 struck me as more of a bad game with a few good design decisions (Interesting combination of traditional health systems and regenerating health and awesome fire effects, great level editor).

The missions were by far the worst part though. I honestly had no idea I was doing the main missions when I was doing the faction missions until I looked it up. I was thoroughly convinced they were just randomly generated side quests the first time I played. They all boiled down to the same exact mission.
1. Get objective from faction leader
2. Teammate calls and tells you to meet him at a safe house
3. teammate gives you alternative objective
4. Do alternative objective
5. teammate suddenly in danger
6. save teammate, do main objective
7. repeat 80 more times to win the game
Even the objectives themselves were the same exact thing. Watching my character whip out his machete and hold it to a character's throat until he gave me some information was cool the first time. Watching him do it a few hundred more times... not so much. Halfway through the game I was kind of wondering how many people thought that was just my character's way of saying hi.

There's absolutely no sense of progress when doing these missions and the only time it ever gets interesting is when the Jackal notices that you're bored out of your mind and decides to drop by and say hi in a short cutscene out of pity.

I swear the weapons in Far Cry 2 were the equivalent of a BB Gun. I remember it taking around 4 or more 12-gauge shots to take down ONE guy. That shits just ridiculous. It's all well and good the developers go for realism, but then they do stupid stuff like that.

Six said:

I swear the weapons in Far Cry 2 were the equivalent of a BB Gun. I remember it taking around 4 or more 12-gauge shots to take down ONE guy. That shits just ridiculous. It's all well and good the developers go for realism, but then they do stupid stuff like that.

The later guns were actually pretty overpowered, especially the tranquilizer rifle. If I remember correctly, one shot to any part of an enemy's body would kill him instantly. The round hits instantly, and I don't recall there being any bullet drop for it. The only downsides were low durability and low max ammo, the latter of which wasn't even a problem because there were about as common as dry grass.

Oh and unlike the sniper rifles where in addition to the sniper rifle you could only carry a pistol and one special weapon along with the sniper rifle, the tranquilizer rifle occupied the special weapon slot, meaning in addition to a side arm, you could carry an assault rifle, grenade launcher or shotgun too. Hell if you wanted to snipe while you snipe you could grab another damn sniper rifle if you wanted.

The early game weapons WERE ridiculously underpowered though. Early in the game I remember it being like fighting the guys in exoskeleton armor in STALKER. Nothing short of a headshot would have much effect.

As for the Far Cry 3 trailer, the best thing I can say is that as far as cutscenes go, it looks great. But see, that's the problem. It's just falling victim to the very thing that's killing the game industry, i.e. the desire to blur the line between movies and video games, and usually through the use of cutscenes. What we have here is 90% impressive cinema and 10% generic shooter bullshit we've seen in games like Call of Duty and Homefront. There's no innovation, just the same strict formula that developers have discovered that's guaranteed to succeed no matter how shitty it is.

Far Cry 3 video looked good, and I REALLY REALLY hope theres going to be mutants and twisted experiments and relation to the original. Crysis has to be one of the shittiest FPS I've ever played...

Skyrim looks superb and is my most anticipated games of the year. Dual wielding weapons !!

Btw, what the hell is that new Fable game? Kinect controlled horse carriage-go around? the franchise has become a fucking joke...

Craigs said:

Don't forget the (laundry list)

I didn't. it definitely failed as an interesting sandbox, but the basic gameplay was oh so right and that's what kept me slogging all the way through to the end. I loved the freedom of approach in spite of the copypasta mission objectives. being able to sneak onto a hilltop after nightfall and snipe from cover, or drive a jeep straight into the heart of an enemy fortification and then drop a live grenade under it, or create molotov infernos at points of ingress/egress, or bombard with shells from a mile away, all that shit.

Kaiser said:

I am surprised no one mentioned Aliens: Colonial Marines yet.

Indeed.

My appetite would be wet a little were it not for the fact that this is from the same people who appear to have fucked up Duke Nukem. I'm not holding my breath for something that could be fantastic if it was in the hands of competent developers.

As for Far Cry 3, meh. Far Cry 2 was one of the biggest piles of crap I ever played. Almost as bad was the fact that it had nothing to do with the first game (which was a classic); the name "Far Cry" appeared to have been slapped on the box to boost sales or something. Should anyone want to play FC2 for the first time, play the first STALKER instead. It's a rough diamond compared to a polished turd.

Xeros612 said:

I know, right?
Video games. Who needs 'em?

LANEGRACABRA said:
Far Cry 3 video looked good, and I REALLY REALLY hope theres going to be mutants

What? Why?

The mutants are easily the single worst thing about the original Far Cry, for a lot of people they pretty much ruined the later portions of the game.

new nintendo console with:
aliens: colonial marines
ninja gaiden 3
tekken

and the ability to draw and shit on screen and on the controller

TAKE ALL OF MY FUCKING CASH
ALL OF IT
I DON'T NEED IT

hardcore_gamer said:

What? Why?

The mutants are easily the single worst thing about the original Far Cry, for a lot of people they pretty much ruined the later portions of the game.

to me they had an important role in the game (and set a more sinister tone to it), you saw them in the very intro and after that you knew it was inevitable you would meet something really fucked up at some point... the fights between the mercenaries and the mutants were cool too.

My friend made me sit through the entire Sony panel. I couldn't have been more bored, while he just kept verbally orgasming at everything.

I've never really liked E3. Nothing from big companies excites me at all, especially when it comes to consoles. There are a few exceptions, but these days I'm mostly buying indie games.

Unless it's a game that I'm REALLY interested in, I usually wait a few years until its price is low and then, if it sounds fun and the general population seems to think highly of it, I will buy it and play it. There are very few games I've played that I don't like, though those usually have some irritating puzzle element or an absurd difficulty that goes beyond "fun challenge" into "idiotic."

hardcore_gamer said:

and now we already know it was all for nothing in ME3 simply because a bloody trailer told us.

A bloody trailer.

There isn't even anything dramatic about the idea of the reapers invading Earth anymore because we already know its going to happen now.

Go play ME2's Arrival DLC.

Also,

hardcore_gamer said:

We spend the entire first 2 games trying to prevent the reaper invasion,

ME1 - Goal: Stop Saren
ME2 - Goal: Destroy Collectors

You knew the Collectors were with the Reapers in ME2, but you had no idea what their plans were until you met the really bad final boss.

The only time you ever attempt to stop an invasion is in Arrival.

E3 came and went already? Huh, doesn't sound to interesting minus an Aliens game. Of course even then I think I'll stick with Alien Trilogy.

I heard something about half life 2 episode 3 from my friend.

Its on day 2 now.

I still have to say, FC3 is the best thing I saw. I loved all the other far cry's, and this one looks more like instincts, which was my favorite.
Though I didnt like the setting or characters of Far Cry 2, it was still awesome. Both MP and SP.

And the only weapons I found underpowered were the first ones you got. Didnt really take that much. I'm playing on hard, no crosshair, and auto-aim off (typically)

The only down side is getting where you are suppose to be. And the either stupid, or super human AI.

FC3 cant be a let down, as long as they dont screw it up. But it looks the way it should be.

So what do you all think on Nintendo's new system? I'm still on the edge, the demos they showed were really gimmicky but the gameplay on the multiplatform titles looked pretty good. If it really is substantially more powerful than the 360 and PS3, MS and Sony might be in trouble. See, all three platforms are similar in power allowing Wii U ports "stealing" the audience from 360 and PS3. Meanwhile it still has exclusive gimmick games for the casuals. AFAIK MS and Sony have both made only losses in the seventh generation and they have invested too much in Kinect and Move to abandon them now and develop a new console while Nintendo is one step ahead of them. Sony is in a better position than MS, though. They announced the new handheld and they haven't relied on Move nearly as much as MS has on Kinect. I'll have to wait for more information.

Yeah, and the 3DS games. Whatever, until Game Freak is making something for it, count me out.

And on the WU controller: am I the only one worried about the price? Not one to throw around in a rage after getting hit by a blue shell. Also, in FPSs and other such games it could host an inventory menu allowing you to carry more than 2 weapons (!). Think about it.