Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cbronson

Angry Birds: the movie

That's how I felt about Super Meat Boy on my PC.

Danarchy said:

Angry Birds is basically a dead ringer for Crush the Castle. Pretty much just a sprite replacement

Uhm...no. The shape of the castles and the general aiming gameplay stiffness of Crush the Castle make it appear like it was the other way around, actually. And don't forget that the two games are like 5 years apart.

Danarchy said:

with more refined graphics.

Graphics AND animation AND fluidity. Aka all that Crush the Castle doesn't have.

Danarchy said:

It's got the catapult,

... which has a much more intuitive aiming system. I always wondered how CTC screwed up that one so badly, and people still insist that it's "THE ONE, THE ORIGINAL!".

Danarchy said:

enemies sitting in destructible buildings

Again, you can find dozens of games with this theme in the history of video games, so who ripped off who?

Danarchy said:

and the same damn types of ammunition (or birds).

I haven't played CTC a lot, I admit, but does it feature different types of ammunition as well? E.g. 3-way splitting rocks, "armor piercing" projectyles etc. or you just lob rocks all the time?

Danarchy said:

If ever there were a case of a lawsuit in the video game industry of someone ripping off someone else, this would be the game to do it with.

Hardly. There are much more clamorous "ripoff" cases, whether legal or not. E.g. Heretic is practically Doom with a medieval theme, even using the same engine (despite the modifications). This one just falls into the case of similar games because, let's face it, there's only so much originality you can put in a game where you shoot projectiles from a fixed location.

Danarchy said:

I mean, saying Angry Birds is a similar game to Worms is like saying Half-Life is a similar game to Doom. But saying Angry Birds is a similar game to Crush the Castle is like saying Chex Quest is a similar game to Doom.

Again, I fail to see the rationale behind this, especially since you acknowledge that both games come from a long legacy of artillery games. They have the newfangled physics element built-in, granted, but that's hardly innovative as of 2010 when AB came out: let's see.. there's World of Goo, Spaghetti Marshmallow, Crayon Sketch etc.

So whoever uses the "artillery + physics" formula is now held accountable to CTC? Oh please. With that rationale, all games belonging to any broader genre are all ripoffs of the first or more emblematic game of that genre. GET DEM ATARIS 2600 OUT OF THE CLOSET, FO' SHIZZLE, ALL DA OTHERS ARE SHIT!

Fact is, AB is a better game all around. Supports more platforms, is packaged/presented much better, the gameplay doesn't kill you by boredom, and overall has a much better flow and replay value. Then even managed to include action AFTER you shot a projectile (something which AFAIK is MISSING from any other artillery game, unless CTC had something similar too).

A ripoff? Hardly. A massively improved product over the same concept brought forth by normal market competition? Hell yeah. That's why almost nobody complained of Doom ripping off Ultima Underworld, and why Doom becaome a great hit while Ultima got into the "there once was this obscure game..." category.

TL; DR: how would you react if you found out that one of the big-time-hit game you're playing looks like a much more enhanced and buffed up version of some shitty old title none cares about and none would remember, if it wasn't for the big-hit-one? Yup, file it in the "shit nobody cares about" category.

Csonicgo said:

I found it to be unstable and slow on some of the first run android devices, sometimes to the point of being unplayable. The performance really blows.

You're going to need an android 2.2+ device that doesn't suck...

Mancubus II said:

You're going to need an android 2.2+ device that doesn't suck...

That :-/

In 2.1 some levels are just sluggish, even with 512 MB of RAM. What's weird is that if you sit idle long enough, eventually you get full speed again rather than 1 fps, so just sit and wait for the "slowness" to get optimized away or something :-/

Have you guys tried running in airplane mode? It runs a lot faster when it's not trying to fetch and display ads all the time. I can't stand playing it any other way.

Maes said:

Stuff about ripoffs

Not to be entirely off-topic here, which I realize I am, but you should see the amount of hate for any game that contains freeform building and crafting elements.

Membrain said:

Not to be entirely off-topic here, which I realize I am, but you should see the amount of hate for any game that contains freeform building and crafting elements.

Oh damn... then this game must be in deep shit. Let's see...

• You build castles
  • With blocks that look just like Tetris blocks.
  • You shoot at said castles with cannons.
  • You shoot at ships, just like Naval Battle.
YEAH IT'S A TOTAL RIPOFF A SHAM A SCAM HOW VERY DARE THEY

TheDarkArchon said:

Eh, just call it the "One Must Fall movie" in that case.

That's what I was thinking too. :D

Technician said:

Birds are gay.

Why do you think that I combined a wood chipper with a bird house and put it in my backyard?

Snarboo said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers this. :)

Holy crap yes. Robot Jox was awesome, if only for bringing a more western giant mecha to live action.

I remember watching it at a sleepover when I was about 7. I've never heard anyone else even mention it since.