Duke Nukem 3D corner

Any love for Duke3D among Doom fans? Do you also play usermaps for Duke3D or do you only stick to Doom? Anything you liked in particular, any recommendation?

The Duke3D community is still actives with maps and mods being released once in a while, though apparently not as many as for Doom.

If you're interested you can just check the Duke Nukem 3D Repository at http://dukerepository.com/


Here is a few recommendations, things that Doom fans might like the best:

WGRealms, a five level masterpiece by William Gee
http://dukrepository.com/maps/WGRealms

WGRealms 2, which is pretty much a mix between Duke3D, Doom and Hexen. It uses some enemies and textures from Doom as well. This is the one that Doom fans will probably like the most.
http://two.wgrealms.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgeMqBeMDxQ

It Lives, a horror themed map released in 2011 from one of the best mappers still active:
http://dukerepository.com/maps/It_Lives_V1.05

Enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post

Hey, thanks. I've always supposed DN3D had a strong modding scene but never had the patience to learn about it. This is a great starting point.

Share this post


Link to post

I used to map a LOT for Duke3D and other Build games during the late 90's, early 2000 era. At that time, Doom editing, at least for me, was shrouded with mystery (wtf is the internet?), but editing Build games was piss easy because all the tools were right in the CD.

Anyway, I'm glad to see there's a community still going strong. Pretty much like this one!

Share this post


Link to post
cbronson said:

I used to map a LOT for Duke3D and other Build games during the late 90's, early 2000 era. At that time, Doom editing, at least for me, was shrouded with mystery (wtf is the internet?), but editing Build games was piss easy because all the tools were right in the CD.

Anyway, I'm glad to see there's a community still going strong. Pretty much like this one!


You made levels for Build games?

Do the level editors for those games like Duke 3D and Blood still work? And how different is level editing for Build games compared with Doom level editing?

Share this post


Link to post
hardcore_gamer said:

You made levels for Build games?

Do the level editors for those games like Duke 3D and Blood still work? And how different is level editing for Build games compared with Doom level editing?


Yes they do. If you download eduke32 eduke32.com it comes with mapster which works with modern OS.

eduke32 is also now compatible with many modern things like true room over room, dynamic lighting, high res textures, 3D models, etc

I can't tell how different it is to map from Doom though because I've only been mapping for Duke3D.

Share this post


Link to post
methy said:

Yes they do. If you download eduke32 eduke32.com it comes with mapster which works with modern OS.

eduke32 is also now compatible with many modern things like true room over room, dynamic lighting, high res textures, 3D models, etc

I can't tell how different it is to map from Doom though because I've only been mapping for Duke3D.


Sounds interesting, since I actually already have Eduke32 though I did not now it also had a map editor!

Do you have any idea if said editor also works with Blood since it uses the same engine?

Share this post


Link to post

mapping for Duke3d is one of the hardest things I have ever mapped for. I even got further making a map for HL2 death match.

None of it made sense to me.

Duke3D is meh I guess, I always found it boring compared to the rest of the build games, and especially compared to doom.

Share this post


Link to post

On the contrary, Duke3d is my favorite Build game! I've never actually delved into any user generated content for Duke. I'll have to check some of this out!

Share this post


Link to post
yellowmadness54 said:

mapping for Duke3d is one of the hardest things I have ever mapped for. I even got further making a map for HL2 death match.

None of it made sense to me.


When you say "none of it made sense to me" are you claiming that it was merely hard to learn how to use the tools or that the actual tools you used were poor/difficult to use?

Share this post


Link to post

going to check out those custom maps, btw your first link (WGRealms) is misspelled.

Share this post


Link to post

I used to map like crazy for Duke Nukem 3D - seriously, I must've made HUNDREDS. Sadly, they all sucked because I had no concept of detail or proper architecture. :P Okay, so maybe I made some semi-decent-ish ones, but they were pretty few and far between.

More recently I played through the whole 4-episode game again. It's still as awesomely immersive as ever. It's also really good to see it still getting love and attention from a dedicated modding community like Doom is. :)

Share this post


Link to post
hardcore_gamer said:

When you say "none of it made sense to me" are you claiming that it was merely hard to learn how to use the tools or that the actual tools you used were poor/difficult to use?

The latter. Very annoying tools. Even if the barebone features were great. Drawing the map was quite smooth. But everything else is a bit of a pain IMO.

Share this post


Link to post

Sector effector pseudo-sprites, hitags, lotags... Yeah, it wasn't particularly intuitive or straightforward. Give me a Doom level editor and ACS scripting over that every day!

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know, maybe because it was my first mapping experience, but I still think mapping for Build is easier than Doom. It doesn't relies on linedefs to do everything.

For example, to make a door, all one needs to do is assign that sector a lotag of 20 (if I recall correctly) and there you go, a door! Of course, it doesn't have sound. So you put a Music sprite inside that sector, and give it a lotag of 166 (the standard door sound). To make it close automatically, put a SectorEffector there too with a lotag of 10 (door auto close) and the hitag will be the time to wait before close.

-----------------------------------------
| (0,20) M(0,166) S(80,10) | ----> this is the door sector
-----------------------------------------

Ok, I admit it's a bit complicated to explain, Jimmy help me out... :P

Blood, on the other hand, was a lot harder. I could never get a door working there...

Share this post


Link to post

I think you're pretty much right. :P You could have also placed a "GPSPEED" sprite in the door to adjust, well, the speed at which it opens/closes. "Activator" and "ActivatorLocked" sprites also allow you to open doors remotely or with an access card, respectively.

You're right about Blood. Shadow Warrior, too. They completely changed the way simple things like doors operated, much to my own frustration. D: It was ages into my experience with Build before I figured out how to create a swinging door in DN3D. Then, when I started mapping for SW, I could barely get even simple vertical doors to work. :S

Of course, this was at least 10 years ago.

...Wow, saying that makes me feel OLD. D: (It shouldn't.)

Share this post


Link to post

And yet, with the limited amount of steps needed to make said door, It still seems like the Doom "specify the action on the linedef" system is pretty effective and easy. With Hexen, and later Zdoom and derived ports, fine-tuning the door is very easy.

Though, I should probably start looking into popular Duke3D mapsets. I haven't played much with those and I'm wondering what kind of stuff exists for it in general.

Share this post


Link to post

It's quite cool to know that Duke 3D is still being kept alive by it's community. I must admit that I prefer the universe created by Doom to the one that Duke created, but at some point I'll try that WGRealms out. :)

Share this post


Link to post
hardcore_gamer said:

Sounds interesting, since I actually already have Eduke32 though I did not now it also had a map editor!

Do you have any idea if said editor also works with Blood since it uses the same engine?


No it doesn't work. The base of the editors is the same but there are some differences which make Duke's editor uncompatible with Blood, Shadow Warrior, etc

I don't even think there is a windows port for Blood yet, everybody is using dosbox.

However a russian team is working on recreating a replica of Blood using Eduke32, whatever that will end up be like....

Share this post


Link to post

Lost Duke Episodes was a great level set (great music too) for its time.

Share this post


Link to post
methy said:

I don't even think there is a windows port for Blood yet


Not yet but:

http://xlengine.com/

site said:

The features of the XL engine:

* Modern OS support without worrying about tweaking for performance or DosBox limitations.
* Cross platform support coming soon.
* Potentially higher framerates and smoother gameplay.
* Optional modern control schemes such as mouselook.
* Increased moddability as the project matures.
* Improved modding tools being developed.
* Optimized software rendering coming soon, allowing people with low-end video cards to play these games in higher resolutions and color depth too.
* In-game console for modifying settings.
* Scripting.
* Game specific optional features to enhance the gameplay, such as adding cut or gameplay enhancing features back to DaggerXL. These will include things like being able to sail your ship in the Bay, wars, missing factions, roads and rivers and so on.
* Improved or added multiplayer support later in development.
* And more being added all the time.
* Optional features offering an enhanced visual experience, such as:
o High color depth.
o Arbitrary resolutions.
o High quality texture filtering (which can be disabled).
o Bloom/Glow
o Dynamic per-pixel lighting
o Alpha Blending for smoother cutout edges.
o High resolution / true color texture support.
o 3D model support, which can replace sprites/flats (coming soon).
o 3D Voxel support, which can replace sprites/flats (coming soon).
o Much more coming later.




This looks promising, I really like the part about improved modding tools. I look forward to seeing how that thing turns out. In the meantime, the GoG version of Blood runs just fine on my 64 bit Windows 7.

Share this post


Link to post

I've been aware that there's a massive repository of custom Duke 3D maps out there yet I've never downloaded any. Honestly I'm afraid to; I'm worried I'll like them. I want to believe that my life has been a series of purposeful steps forward rather than the end result of infinite random occurrences. I want to imagine that I'm a Doomer because of qualities that Doom has and Duke 3D lacks - not just because Doom is the game I played first. If I start playing Duke 3D maps now and find that I prefer them to Doom pwads, that will mean that my life so far has been a sham.

Why is every innocent topic an existential crisis for me? I need to get laid.

Share this post


Link to post

It's ok to like other games too, Creaphis. Even if you like Duke3d better, all the Dooming you did up to this point will have pointed you towards Duke3d, and no doubt made you a better Duke3d player. And you'll probably always come back to Doom once in a while anyway. Oh, and a cool trick is to stroke yourself until you get some pre-cum, then use the pre-cum to lube up the head of the penis, then keep stroking and wait for more pre-cum and repeat lubing (you could also spit on your head instead, or both), keep doing this for at least an hour while stopping yourself from ejaculating, then while you got some lubing going on, let 'er rip into a ziplock bag. Do this a couple times each week and you'll never feel the need to get laid again. :D

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you for your wise words.

Share this post


Link to post
eternal slumber said:

and a cool trick is to stroke yourself until you get some pre-cum, then use the pre-cum to lube up the head of the penis, then keep stroking and wait for more pre-cum and repeat lubing (you could also spit on your head instead, or both), keep doing this for at least an hour while stopping yourself from ejaculating, then while you got some lubing going on, let 'er rip into a ziplock bag. Do this a couple times each week and you'll never feel the need to get laid again. :D




What the fuck?

I can't tell if this is serious or just some joke.

Share this post


Link to post
hardcore_gamer said:

What the fuck?

I can't tell if this is serious or just some joke.


Masturbation: IT'S SRS BIZNIZZ.

Share this post


Link to post
Creaphis said:

Why is every innocent topic an existential crisis for me? I need to get laid.


Or just play more Doom. :p

Oddly enough, it was WGRealms 2 (as well as a couple of Skulltag WADs) that got me back into Duke. I had played Duke3D on the PC a very long time ago and have played most of the console iterations (primarily the N64 and PSX ones, recently bought DNF for the PS3), but I had no idea until about several months ago that there was a community for Duke like there was for Doom. I plan on getting Duke3D sometime this month from the 3DRealms store. I look forward to playing more of William Gee's levels, as I had a blast with the latest version of WGRealms 2.

Share this post


Link to post

I very much enjoy Duke 3D, although I have to confess that I have not finished the entire game, and I tend to get bored with it a lot faster than Doom. The only mod I downloaded was the eDuke32 mod, which is a source port much like Zdoom or Jdoom. The ability to toggle 3-D models and high-res textures is cool, but just like with Doom, fanboys putting together 3-D models for a 2.5D game ultimately results in failure. They all look and animate awkwardly, plus they don't even respond to changes in light value. I have not yet played any custom maps, maybe some day I will.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now