Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
methy

Duke Nukem 3D corner

They're still much better than what we have for Doom though.

Also, nice job with the trolling eternal slumber. I find that a thumb up my ass while I'm masturbating equates to an insane orgasm.

spank said:

They're still much better than what we have for Doom though.

You sure about that? I'm not saying Doom's 3D models are great, but they respond to light value changes, and the textures are filtered. In Duke 3-D, you've got no light value changes and nearest-neighbor rendering for the textures. How is that better? If you're talking about the overall consistency and quality of the art, well, yeah, it's probably better.

I've always hated the build tools. It's not that Duke3D is hard to map for, it's just that the controls on all of the level editors are complete shit. To draw a sector, you aim the mouse --- and press the spacebar to make a vertex? When you click on a wall in DB2, you'll at least get some kind of prompt where you can edit everything at once (action, textures, offset, tag, etc.). In Duke3D level editors, you have to memorize about ten different hotkeys in order to do basic things like changing the palette on a wall.

Wagi said:

I've always hated the build tools. It's not that Duke3D is hard to map for, it's just that the controls on all of the level editors are complete shit. To draw a sector, you aim the mouse --- and press the spacebar to make a vertex? When you click on a wall in DB2, you'll at least get some kind of prompt where you can edit everything at once (action, textures, offset, tag, etc.). In Duke3D level editors, you have to memorize about ten different hotkeys in order to do basic things like changing the palette on a wall.

Wtf?

I mean I understand that not every engine can do the same things, but surely there isn't any technical reasons for the controls being poor? Isn't this to blame on the people who made the editor tools rather then the engine itself?

Isn't this to blame on the people who made the editor tools rather then the engine itself?

Yes.

Wagi said:

Yes.

I see.

I can only wonder how things might have gone differently if the source code for the build engine had been released just like the source code for the Doom engine.

Mikko_Sandt said:

Btw, if any of you are looking for an excuse to play Duke3D again, I suggest you take a look at mods like Attrition or Weapon of Mass Destruction that allow you to play the original episodes but with a different spin.

Thank you for these. I can't seem to be able to play Weapon of Mass Destruction, but I am very much enjoying Attrition. It definitely does put an interesting spin on the game.

I've played WGR2 a while ago and it has definitely rekindled my interest in DN3D.

Still, no mention of The Gate makes this thread lame, so here.

The Gate is is awesome in my books but there are many levels (the TC is huge) that may turn people off due to unfair puzzles or confusing layout. It's worth the trouble though, but not really representative of what Duke3D mappers can do these days.

I'myourtarget said:

Thank you for these. I can't seem to be able to play Weapon of Mass Destruction, but I am very much enjoying Attrition. It definitely does put an interesting spin on the game.

Yeah, and it's a great way to familiarize yourself with tons of high-quality usermaps without having to download each one separately.

I'm giving this a shot. A couple of issues:

1. I have an old Duke Nukem 3D (non-Atomic) disk lying around. I read somewhere that 3D Realms offered a "Plutonium Pak" which upgraded regular Duke Nukem to Atomic edition. I can't find a download link for it anywhere and 3D Realms no longer offers it. Is the Plutonium Pak currently legal to distribute? If so, does anybody know where I can get it?

2. Is there any conceivable reason why MIDI music wouldn't work for me in eduke32 on 32-bit XP when it works in all other games/applications?

Creaphis said:
Is the Plutonium Pak currently legal to distribute? If so, does anybody know where I can get it?

I don't think you can download it for free legally. If you really want to pay for it, GOG sells the game for 5bucks.

However you could always play WGRealms2, it's standalone (whether that's legal or not)

2. Is there any conceivable reason why MIDI music wouldn't work for me in eduke32 on 32-bit XP when it works in all other games/applications?

No clue...

Creaphis said:

This is just a guess, but do you have HRP loaded? For me, the music stopped working after a while of enabling it. After I disabled it and restarted EDuke32, the music worked again.

While we're troubleshooting or whatever, I got the Atomic Edition a few months ago and the end-episode text screens don't show up when I beat the boss. It would be fine, except it's the first time I've played episode 4 and I'd really like to be able to read it.

Since it wouldn't install on my 64-bit system I just took the file that eDuke32 needs to run it and the game runs perfectly fine otherwise, so I don't know if that matters.

I've been aware that there's a massive repository of custom Duke 3D maps out there yet I've never downloaded any. Honestly I'm afraid to; I'm worried I'll like them. blah blah rhubarb.

Why is every innocent topic an existential crisis for me?

You could alternatively have said:

I've been aware that there's a massive repository of custom Duke 3D maps out there yet I've never downloaded any. Honestly I'm afraid to; I'm worried I'll like them. And I don't have enough damn time

I've always thought Duke3D had a strange palette. Red is orangey (the lightest shades anyway). Shadow Warrior at least has more red blood, and of course Blood.

Some games like Redneck Rampage were so lazy with code the revolver starts with 48 shots like in Duke and it has the same palette.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/blood-weapon-mod/downloads/blweap-110

Looking through the DN3D moddb entry I found a mod that replaces all the weapons with their Blood counterparts. It works pretty well, it has the alt fires and everything.

Edit: http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-weapons-mod/downloads/dmweap-10rar
Doom weapons mod. It didn't work for me (Errors found in the EDUKE CON) so I can't vouch for it.

New 15 maps episode (including 4 boss maps and 1 secret map) just released !

Episode made in a "classic" style reminiscent of the original episodes of the game! If you like the orignal Duke3D, you'll like this!

Download link :

http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_id=4598

a copy of the original game (or just the file duke3D.grp) is required as well as a recent version of eduke32 (windows port for Duke3D). Eduke32 can be downloaded here : http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/synthesis/20120301-2394/eduke32_win32_20120301-2394.zip

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I'm a Duke3D mapper, the RED series by Merlijn van Oostrum are my favorite Duke maps of all time

Fisk said:

I'm a Duke3D mapper, the RED series by Merlijn van Oostrum are my favorite Duke maps of all time

Have you ever released anything? At least this nickname doesn't ring one bell.

New modern style city map by 4 mappers

Story :

Duke is sent to Galbadia to investigate claims of a secret alien hive nearby,
the purpose of which is believed to be using captured local babes to breed
alien drones. Duke rents an apartment near the central park and takes a shit.
Upon learning of Duke's presence, the hive Overlord commands his troops to
seize the town as a means to protect the hive. Next thing you know, you've
got Recon Cars circling the park while an alien breach squad is on its way
to your apartment. Your task is to locate the hive and kill the Overlord.

Screenshots :

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m51/Corentin3/Duke%20Nukem%203D/glb1.png

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m51/Corentin3/Duke%20Nukem%203D/glb2.png

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m51/Corentin3/Duke%20Nukem%203D/glb3.png

download link : http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_id=5426

Duke3D was a present for my 13th birthday in July of 1996. I totally loved it! There was a time period somewhere between 1996 and 1999 (right before the DOOM sourceports started emerging into the spotlight) when I was absolutely convinced that Duke3D is a whole lot better than DOOM, and this opinion was making one of my friends upset...
But when the era of sourceports finally thrust itself upon the world, I reached the conclusion that both games are equally fantastic and equally deserving of praise. ^_^
So yes, even in 2012 I am actively switching back and forth between indulging in DOOM with its custom add-ons and indulging in Duke3D with its share of custom add-ons. I go through periodic cycles of passion for both.
I use the eDuke32 sourceport with the High Resolution Pack, and my favourite custom add-on is "Moonbase Accident".
As for mapping... I've ventured into building things for Duke3D but I never released anything because I didn't figure out how to give proper soundeffects to the doors and I didn't figure out how to make the trains work. And the stripper dancers were just distracting me from constructive creativity. :p
So yeah, I just stuck with mapping for DOOM, Wolf3D, Heretic1, and later on Heretic2.

methy said:

I've never heard of Moonbase Accident (well, not sure), have you got a link?

Sure, here ya go: http://dukerepository.com/maps/Moonbase_Accident
(Perhaps the reason why you haven't found it before is because it's built specifically for eDuke rather than for the vanilla version.)

You will find all the info you need for mapping on this site :
http://infosuite.duke4.net/

Thanks, perhaps I'll research this when/if I'll have the time after graduating college.

Never mapped for Duke 3D. Tried an editor, couldn't get the hang of it... But I enjoy playing it and I've played a few user maps. I think I'd still like to learn it sometime.

I never really liked Duke Nukem 3D, the style doesn't really appeal to me nor does the player characters personality, I found Blood and Shadow Warrior much more appealing.

Hi everybody,

Bumping this thread with a few news from the world of Duke3D.

Like you've seen in other threads on this forum, some people are working on really cool stuff including porting the PSX version of Duke3D to PC using eduke32, as well as the CEO of interceptor (who now bought 3DRealms) who shared all the alpha and beta content of Duke3D (as well as Shadow Warrior) to a few members of the community who asked for it (some of the maker of eduke32) and who are currently going through it all. That will eventually be released as is a bit every month with the new 3DR website and the CEO also said he's planning to make a fully playable version using some beta material.

Meanwhile some members of the community have been working on an episode that will be released in 2 or 3 weeks so stay tuned! Here is a trailer and the moddb page for a few screenshots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i37ihICFVNY

moddb.com/mods/duke-hard

I've dusted off Duke3D recently. Not sure yet if it's something I'll get really into again but it does offer some fun.

Also, I have to wonder if the folks bitching about the BUILD editor ever had to experience trying to make a map with DETH or some of the other horrid Doom editors of the old days. Maybe they've improved on the formula, but Doom Builder and the other Doom editors of today owe a fair bit to BUILD in sector construction method and 3D modes.