Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

RAGE is apparently a very solid game!

rage is ready for pre-load on steam, if you've preordered. click on rage in your library, then click pre-load.

just a little PSA because usually steam games pre-load automatically.

DooM_RO said:

John Carmack said on twitter that he is going to be present at Mesquite, Texas at Gamestop for the midnight release.It would be cool if someone from Texas or even Mesquite could ask some questions on behalf of Doomworld.I would have done this but unfortunately I live on the other side of the world...

For instance you could ask what Id software thinks about the criticism regarding Doom 3 and what they have learned from Doom 3 or what Matt Hooper meant when he said that Doom 4 will make doom fans happy.If someone plans to do this we should make a separate thread where we can discuss what to ask. http://twitter.com/#!/ID_AA_Carmack/status/119916499849854976

I live a few minutes from Mesquite. What's the release date?

Tonight, 0:00 in whatever timezone it is in Mesquite, Texas.

GoatLord said:

I live a few minutes from Mesquite. What's the release date?

Midnight...Right so we don't have much time left which means that if you want to ask questions we should decide what to ask right now.

I think everyone should post their questions and GoatLord will make a selection of about 10(or maybe a bit more)

1.Ask about the level design in doom 4(and even rage).To be more specific ask whether exploration will return in Doom 4 (secrets, places that you don't have to visit but you can, alternative routes)

2.What does Id think about the criticism regarding doom 3.Do they agree that the levels are too dark, linear, repetitive, do they agree that it should have been more action packed?

3.What did Matt Hooper mean when he said that "Doom 4 will make doom fans happy"

4.Does he or other key members of Id software frequent the doomworld forums?

It would be awesome if you could film this!

Ask about the locked game features and how you can unlock them.Also about whether RAGE or DOOM 4 will have health packs.

It's funny how the box art specifically says "from the creators of Doom and Quake". It's like they're desperately trying to remind people that they used to make popular games.

Wagi said:

It's like they're desperately trying to remind people that they used to make popular games.

As opposed to, you know, making Doom and Quake.

Wagi said:

It's funny how the box art specifically says "from the creators of Doom and Quake". It's like they're desperately trying to remind people that they used to make popular games.

It's like you're desperately trying to pretend that they still don't make popular games

The more I see of this game the more of it I want to play. I'm just bummed I don't have a current gen console or PC.

id has been sitting on this game for the past seven years, it better be good.

From what I have read, Rage is fun but has some issues. Beyond the obvious inspirations (Half-Life 2, Fallout 3) and id Software's creativity dipstick seemingly being about two drops short of bone dry, the story is apparently pretty poor and characters are lifeless, so it's hard to really care about what is happening. A lot of people have said the game really starts to drag out around the middle, there isn't much to explore, the dungeons are pretty linear and the final boss is apparently a massive cop-out and it has a shitty, "get-ready-for-a-sequel" ending, which is actually saying a lot since the game isn't even very long (like 10-15 hours).

This is on top of the increased price to $60 (since you're paying for the sewers "unlock" as well, without the choice of opting out of supposedly optional content) and whatever else. The multi-player is apparently fun for awhile but won't likely make much of an impact (you can only race, there is no FPS-based MP content). Additionally, most of the side-quests are immediately forgettable, not adding much to replay value at all, only added to pad the game more.

As said elsewhere in this thread, nothing revolutionary... fun for awhile and then likely forgotten. I'm definitely going to buy it but have decided to wait until it drops to a more reasonable price. Even early on, Rage always just seemed like it was trying too hard. I always had this impression that they basically just took a handful of solid FPS-based games that sold really well and tried to copy them. Rather than revolutionizing the genre like id Software has done in the past, they seem to be falling behind and are starting to just make really "safe" games-- realizing that their name alone wasn't enough to carry Doom 3, Quake 4 and the new Wolfenstein to high sales numbers. I don't want anyone to take me wrong-- I'm sure I will have fun with it when I eventually sit down to play it, I'm just giving my opinion / impressions.

While I don't really care for most game review sites, IGN gave it an 8.5 out of 10. IGN gave Doom 3 an 8.9 for comparison, for whatever that is worth (probably not much).

I feel like picking it up tomorrow cause I don't want to miss getting the special edition of the game, but I still don't have a pc to play it on, and won't for another week. but then again how hard will it be to find a special edition of this game later?

Technician said:

I think it's an id standard.

Yeah, I'd have to agree there.

I haven't played the game obviously-- I basically just regurgitated what I read and gave my opinion on the trailers and hype-train surrounding it. The main issues I have with it from what people have said is the length (10-15 hours), the ending and I'm a little hesitant that some people think it starts to feel drawn out six hours in, especially considering the price.

Games that attempt to immerse me with story-lines and end with a cliff-hanger ending annoy me. Attempting to create anticipation for a sequel that isn't even on the horizon yet, won't appear for years and may or may not even happen or be related to the first game, is just shitty. I don't care who makes it.

Shapeless said:

I feel like picking it up tomorrow cause I don't want to miss getting the special edition of the game, but I still don't have a pc to play it on, and won't for another week. but then again how hard will it be to find a special edition of this game later?

I read that the bonuses become DLC after the game comes out (probably for like $5 or something). You're not really missing anything if you decide to wait. That could be wrong though.

"These encounters usually take place in slick, linear environments that ferry you through carefully arranged arenas before cunningly depositing you back at the start once you've reached your objective, but outside their confines you're free to explore the wasteland in a range of buggies and cars you earn in the hub towns. Rage's isn't quite an open world - it's more like a series of linear FPS levels and fetch-quest locations scattered around dusty highways - but it's a convincing and likeable place." Taken from Eurogamer http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-04-rage-review

Linear levels?...I'm still going to get the game but this really bugs me.

Sig-ma said:

The main issues I have with it from what people have said is the length (10-15 hours)...

The value of modern games often being measured in hours like that shows how movie-like/linear/disposable they are. A good doom slaughtermap can take only 3 minutes to beat, yet have hours of REPLAY value. The quarter popping arcade business model seemed to be a good darwinian environment to select gameplay and replayability. The same old arcade game can keep raking in quarters years later if its good. Seriously if I were in the modern game business, I'd probably spend the most time/money on box art and non-gameplay cutscenes for snazzy 'in game' pics on the box back to trick soccermoms into buying it for birthday gifts (or a deal to ride on the coattails of some shitty popular brand like 'transformers' or 'disney bla' which is one of the dominant strategies of movies/games/lunchboxes/etc).

I haven't been buying new games for a long time, so I can always buy a used lot of slightly older stuff for cheap, conveniently honing in on titles that have aged to get good reviews, rather than buy the cutting edge of new (which is riskier since it hasn't recieved reviews yet). At least I could if ebay was still ebay and not the John Donahoe infiltrated government simulation to beta test totalitarian tactics that it is today. I hope the occupy wall street protests result in a noose for that chinese slave work loving albino nigger traitor. But occupy wall street has been hijacked, anonnews has been hijacked http://www.chronicle.su/news/anonnews-org-run-by-united-states-government/, alex jones works for the government, and certain lobes of my brain are conspiring to kill me. """'Everything is a conspiracy' is a conspiracy" is a conspiracy" is a lie" is a lie.

TheEndOfUs said:

First reviews:
EGN 9/10
IGN (!) 8.5/10

And 4.5/5 by The Escapist.

Good scores so far.

gggmork said:

At least I could if ebay was still ebay and not the John Donahoe infiltrated government simulation to beta test totalitarian tactics that it is today. I hope the occupy wall street protests result in a noose for that chinese slave work loving albino nigger traitor. But occupy wall street has been hijacked, anonnews has been hijacked http://www.chronicle.su/news/anonnews-org-run-by-united-states-government/, alex jones works for the government, and certain lobes of my brain are conspiring to kill me. """'Everything is a conspiracy' is a conspiracy" is a conspiracy" is a lie" is a lie.

You had me up until this part.

I don't know whether you're trolling or whether you actually believe in this stuff. Every discussion you participate in has to involve some kind of mumbo jumbo conspiracy.

DoomUK said:

I don't know whether you're trolling or whether you actually believe in this stuff. Every discussion you participate in has to involve some kind of mumbo jumbo conspiracy.

He's dead serious. This is gggmork we're talking about.

Still 3 days until it's being released here in Sweden. The conspiratory overlords has spoken and force us all to wait as a cunning step in their plans for world domination.

According to people on the Bethesda forums there's a shitload of performance problems and other issues with the PC version. These people seem to be rocking high-end rigs, too. Ugh.

DoomUK said:

According to people on the Bethesda forums there's a shitload of performance problems and other issues with the PC version. These people seem to be rocking high-end rigs, too. Ugh.

This is 2011, this is no goddamn excuse.

http://wallpaper4me.com/images/wallpapers/ragemutants-93005.jpeg

So WTF is this then? Someone care to explain?

And then they muddled everything up with a smudge tool later on, that's just great, shit all over the PC crowd while delivering something on par with this:

http://www.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/224/7240_full.jpg

Well safe to say I am not looking forward to Doom 4 now!

Been reading the RAGE thread over at something awful. Apparently the engine is misinterpreting some peoples hardware set-ups with ridiculous values such as a 3MHz CPU with 0MB of Video memory, which is of course making problems with the performance scaler.

If those god rays were real it would be cool. But that just looks like a skybox, so I guess not.

RAGE looks like a silly console game.like I imagined. So i can't say it's disappointing, because this is all I expected

Some people have been unable to play the game for technical reasons beyond whatever strange graphics issues (lots of crashing). I've had no issues and am loving it so far, and on a pretty old rig. I loved Borderlands but Rage is a bit more satisfying to me.