Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

If Quake was done today

geo said:

... on the plus side there is an indie game dev (with 1 game under their belt) that have gone on record as to now be making a new Doom like / Quake like game. So I wrote a 2 page letter full of ideas and game mechanics (mostly from Half Life 1) and I got a very polite... no we're making Doom. There is hope for old school after all.

You're talking about Flying Wild Hog, aren't you? Hmm...you should have told them to join Doomworld.

lol no not Hard Reset... some 5 man dev team that we'll probably never hear of. I would tell you the name of the game but its some long unrememberable name... like Tomb of Mestophracize. I tried to find the forum where I found the game hyped, but I can't. I did tell them about Doomworld. Maybe they're already here... watching me.

If you could tell us the exact name of the game that would be best. I'm really curious about how it looks and plays.

I will find it again. I need to find that forum that plugged the game. They really need a better name for the game because I keep thinking Tomb of Metiocrity or something like that. I'll give it another go... hang on...

I listen and have to remember names of metal bands, Tomes of (however the hell you spell that) isn't too hard to memorize. Just hard to spell... and pronounce.

But it looks cool. The terrain bit reminded me of Far Cry more than it did Quake or DOOM, though.

Maybe it would be different if I heard the name instead of seeing it. Like I'm still not sure how to pronounce Otep. Ot-ep. O-Tep?

The dungeons have me worried. They're all bland and basic on a grid. It looks more like something lesser than Wolfenstien 3D, but maybe this is just their first step into making the game.

Well they also have a video preview of some expansive terrain and water and stuff too. I wonder how the two will be combined. I hope they know what they're doing.

Many people ITT mentioned:
Nostalgia goggles

While there's certainly a degree of truth in that, it's also true that the video game industry as a whole has went through highs and lows in the course of three decades, and we're right in the middle of one.

There were several "golden ages" where there was plenty of technical innovations combined with gameplay enhancements or new types of gameplay not previously possible (e.g. it would not be possible to program a NEO-GEO quality fighting game or something with the action of Metal Slug on late 70s hardware, or a texture mapped FPS game on 80s home computers), and there were period of stagnation where no new genres were introduced and most games looked the same because they tried to capitalize on a few particular concepts or tropes that proved lucrative once or twice, but then got beaten to death with a stick.

In mild cases, you'd get something like the flood of arcade and console 16-bit brawling and platform games of the late 80s/early 90s. In extreme cases, you'd get something like the 80s video game market crash, or like the early 90s FMV/"interactive multimedia games" fiasco. So, nostalgia goggles or not, there definitively were and will be "dry spells" in the industry where you'd get more of the same, or where a not particularly entertaining trope was shoved into your face again and again (in the case of "FMV interactive multimedia", the relative ease of developing such "games" with authoring software rather than real programming was the main culprit).

If e.g. Doom didn't come along on PC compatibles to stimulate development and competition, we'd have probably waded through the 90s with mediocre ports of Amiga and console platform games, FMV/"multimedia" tripe or with polygon-based 3D games until Windows 95 drove the power-to-performance ratio (and the entry barrier for half-assed developers) even lower.

40oz said:

Well they also have a video preview of some expansive terrain and water and stuff too. I wonder how the two will be combined. I hope they know what they're doing.

The expansive stuff looks like a naked Oblivion... which I've seen a lot of in the modding community over there. One guy even made an explosives mod that would take permanent chunks out of the terrain. The only catch was it was crash prone and would freeze the game as it damaged the terrain.

I like that one better than the Quake one... the maker put more work into it.

Technician said:

Awesome map maker, Chubzdoomer, has posted a similar parody video subjecting Doom to modern-day FPS dogma.

(funny video)

Might just be me, but I laughed harder at that than at the "Quake done today" vid. The part where he goes for the rocket launcher and the message "Explosives DLC required" comes up was hilarious. Great job, Chubzdoomer!

That Doom one was way funnier, I really liked it, especially the alarm that would sound as soon as you stepped outside the "combat zone."

GoatLord said:

That Doom one was way funnier, I really liked it, especially the alarm that would sound as soon as you stepped outside the "combat zone."

The QTE at the exit made my day.

DuckReconMajor said:

Am I a horrible person if I'd legitimately enjoy playing that?

As much as you'd enjoy playing half-assed ZDoom mods ;-)

D_GARG said:

if this happens to DOOM4, I will have someones ass to slay

It most certainly will be disappointing, unless id gets Romero and Adrian back (or at least Romero alone). Without Romero, id will continue to make linear, unimaginative, boring layouts.

ITT: if Quake was done today it would be Doom 3 or Quake 4. Oh wait...

Quake Live is not Quake done today.

First, it's not Quake. It's Quake 3.

Secondly, it's just a port to a different platform. That's like saying iWolf is Wolf-3D done today. Yeah, sorry. It's not.

I would stop posting but then who would give you things to talk about?

You're right. I'll let this post sink.