Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vesperas_

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

hervoheebo said:

My chief problem with companions is that they have absolutely no personality whatsoever. No unique lines, just "Thank you for saving me. I will now follow you for life" and "Need me to carry something?"

Cicero certainly has a personality...assuming you want an insane court jester following you around.

Didn't use followers in FO3 either

Oh my, then you missed out on 2 of the coolest npcs in the game, fawkes and jericho.

Quast said:

Oh my, then you missed out on 2 of the coolest npcs in the game, fawkes and jericho.

Fawkes was insanely overpowered. Once you got him, nothing could kill you. And pretty much nothing could kill him either

Sig-ma said:

Why take the time to post and ask here when you can use the Skyrim Wiki and have your question answered in a few seconds?

Normally I'd tell you to use the UESP rather than a wiki hosted on that site; but the UESP have been terribly unresponsive these last few days. I guess Skyrim's release must have resulted in a massive influx of visitors and they're getting hammered.

Craigs said:

Fawkes was insanely overpowered. Once you got him, nothing could kill you. And pretty much nothing could kill him either

The same could be said of dogmeat as well actually, both npcs had some odd bug on how their health got calculated under certain circumstances giving them insane values. But fawkes would be awesome regardless.

Post your character and your current status!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/DoomUK/TESV2011-11-1808-41-22-16.jpg

Nord. Level 28. I called him Conan because I'm terrible at thinking up interesting names.

Specialities are two-handed blades, archery and heavy armour. Picked up an ebony greatsword yesterday which dishes out 71 damage points in conjunction with my two-handed skill. Can take out giants with 2-3 swings. Despite the somewhat clunky melee combat in this game it's tremendously satisfying being able to mow down most enemies with little effort. And the various finishing moves make the combat a little more varied.

Anyway, I plan on boosting by destruction magic skill once I get bored with what I'm doing.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I think I'm a member of all of the guilds now. And despite having just carried out the brutal murder of a notable businesswoman in Solitude for the Dark Brotherhood guild, in public and in broad daylight, on her wedding day, the Jarl of Solitude has granted me the position of Thane there because I did a bunch of stuff for the people and bought a house for 25000 septims. Money talks, obviously.

Me and my murderhorse. Level 20, mostly focusing on conjuration, sneak and archery. However, I came across the sanguine rose the other day so I don't anticipate my conjuration to get much higher anytime soon, ha. Thing is overpowered for sure.

I'm undecided right now if I should just continue to collect more daedra artifacts or go on the main quest for a while. So I just tend to mill about. Anyone know if you can keep playing after finishing the main quest?

Quast said:

Anyone know if you can keep playing after finishing the main quest?

If it's anything like Oblivion then I don't see why not. IIRC I finished the main quest before I even started half of the side quests. Would be very atypical for a game of this nature to abruptly end like that.

I murdered my murderhorse btw, dispelling the belief that it's an immortal equine :p

I just got dawnbreaker, my second artifact so far (first being azura's star). The quest to get it ended up being a massive pain in the ass due to the quest boss being able to kill me with 2-3 hits from his spells. Most of the fight consisted of me chugging health potions nonstop

hervoheebo said:

You can hire Cicero? I got the farmer to fix his wagon but I didn't see options to get Cicero to follow me. Maybe I'll go back.

There is a long questline that he is a part of. At some point during it you are given a quest where you can kill him or spare him. If you do not kill him he will reappear at the end of the questline and can become a follower.

Quast said:

Anyone know if you can keep playing after finishing the main quest?

Yes, I've read you can. I disliked how you were not able to in Fallout 3 without the extra DLC. That seemed really ridiculous to me.

My biggest complaint with the game has to be the text. This might not be a problem for most of you but me and everyone I know aren't the richest people. My friend saved up for months and got the game and we were playing it over at his girlfriend's house (he had recently moved out and took the big screen with him). He said he could see the text fine on his big screen. We were using this older TV and we could barely see the fucking text. I quit playing it because I could barely read any text. I could barely read the name of a item when I was about to pick it up. So I saw no point in playing if I could barely read anything.

I remember having that problem with Morrowind for the X-Box. It inspired me to buy my own PC copy instead of mooching off my roommate.

Just got werewolf form. Its was surprisingly easy to get. I have never played as werewolf in Morrowind,so I cant say if it plays the same. What I can say is its fun as hell to use. I went into a couple bandit hideout and shredded every bandit with ease. The bandit leader was a bit of a pain but your power attacks as a wolf can knock down enemies. Once he hit the ground the fight was pretty much over. You also have a howl that makes humanoids run away in fear for a short time. One of the funniest things I managed to do is get three bandits to have the back towards a spike "door" trap. Howled and they turned around and ran. One of them stepped on the pressure plate on the floor triggering the trap. The spike door took out the three bandits in one swing.

Its not much of a issue. I'm having a hell of a time trying to stay on track when traveling between quests. There is so damn many borrows, forts and such its way to easy to get distracted. I have been making my way to a quest area from one of the cities and stopping every five min cos there is something new to explore. One gripe I have is the fing Horse in this game. The thing will not stay put 90% of the time if you get off it. It gets attacked, it runs away. You jump off it to go into a borrow and its gone when you finish the borrow. Having to fast travel back to the stable I bought it from every time it runs away is getting old fast.

I got swept up in a pretty hairy battle.

I met up with the mercenaries in Whiterun and asked to join them. So they sent me off to clear out some bandit camp. Well, I was walking across the plain when a dragon rose from behind the mountain. I hid behind a rock and looked around for my AI teammate - nowhere to be found, of course. I decided the odds were against me so I high-tailed it to the camp to promote some infighting. Turns out the dragon was way ahead of me, because I couldn't get through the gate before it had roasted them all.

So I toss a few arrows to get its attention but it's not working. Figures I'd find the only dragon with ADD, because now it's harrassing the creatures of the plain. From there I chased it to ANOTHER bandit camp, but by the time I get in the middle of that crowd the dragon fucks off AGAIN, leaving the remaining bandits to focus their attention on ME.

Finally the dragon decides to tangle with some mammoths. Now the situation is getting bad - because I'm tearing through a dozen mobs just trying to keep up with the damn thing, sucking down potions the whole way. The fucking dragon FINALLY touches down and meets me face-to-face, and I start whacking away at it. Much to my surprise, two mammoths were helping me take down this thing... which is a mixed blessing because the last thing I need is a pissed-off giant practicing his golf swing on my face. Just then, for the first time I experience a "finishing move" on a dragon where my character jumps on its back and shoves her sword up the base of its skull. Clearly the mammoths were impressed by this display, because they turned around and trundled back home. Then the game shows off its comedic timing as my AI partner walks up right after, being all "HAY GUISE WHAT I MISS LOL".

On the down side, I'm getting at least one freezing incident per play session. This is too much. I can accept low framerates. I can accept blurry textures. I can forgive a lot of things when I want to like a game, and I want to like this game. Fatal freezes are UNACCEPTABLE. Bethesda need to put out a patch for this YESTERDAY.

I've finished The Mages guild, Fighters guild (equivalent) and the Dark Brotherhood questlines on three different characters. The Dark Brotherhood was fairly interesting, though no challenge at all, but the other two were so trite and short it's not funny. I certainly miss the more drawn out length of Morrowind's guilds where you had to spend a lot of time going through the ranks and exploring the world rather than being thrown quickly into an "epic" story.

Smithing seems easy to exploit. You can just fast travel from city to city buying up iron ingots and leather strips and make iron daggers for cheap. Then run to the ebony mine and huzzah.

The combat is overall really enjoyable, destruction (which can have some massive dps) and sneaking melee in particular. The other magic schools aren't as interesting though and melee combat often descends to button mashing.

tldr: fun combat, much better world than Oblivion but nowhere as great as Morrowind's for me and mostly shite quests.

Bucket said:

Bethesda need to put out a patch for this YESTERDAY.

They're working on one.

Seems they want to fix a bunch of stuff in one big patch rather than addressing fundamental issues like yours swiftly.

Makes sense. When the main platform for your game is a console, and said console requires Apple-like certification for patches, you're going to want to wait til you can get as many fixes as possible done before submitting the patch and money to MS and Sony. Nothing stops them from submitting each fix to PC far as I can tell, but thus far the game's proven that the PC was barely thought of during development. (See: Xbox 360 as "main platform", UI, regenerating health, simplification, DirectX 9.0c renderer at best, low graphical fidelity in many ways even on Ultra, vast overwhelming majority of ads advertising 360 version, Television advertisements mentioning ONLY the 360 version...)

Khorus said:

I've finished The Mages guild, Fighters guild (equivalent) and the Dark Brotherhood questlines on three different characters. The Dark Brotherhood was fairly interesting, though no challenge at all, but the other two were so trite and short it's not funny. I certainly miss the more drawn out length of Morrowind's guilds where you had to spend a lot of time going through the ranks and exploring the world rather than being thrown quickly into an "epic" story.

I'm going to concur with your mage college point. I just finished that yesterday and I think I got it done in about 5 hours, which includes time spent on another rather epic random quest, not even part of the college quests, to obtain 3 amulets from some long dead brothers. THAT was more interesting than the mage quests.

Anyway, the main focus of the mages quest is never really explained or dealt with. WTF is that orb? What did the dominion want with it? Who or what the fuck was that...guy, err thing underneath the college you talk to for no reason at all? For a series that is quite lore heavy, that questline pissed me off. And to top it off, some fuck, who is not even part of the college, has no authority over it tells me, 'welp, I guess you're the arch-mage now'. Oh, ok.

Rounded pupils in a reptilian creature's eyes... how the hell does one screw up one of the easiest distinctions between reptiles and mammals?

Xeros612 said:

Rounded pupils in a reptilian creature's eyes... how the hell does one screw up one of the easiest distinctions between reptiles and mammals?

It's another world, not an exact replica of Earth. If they can talk and be bipedal, they can have whatever shaped pupils.

Doesn't explain why rounded pupils weren't a part of the race in Oblivion and Morrowind. (Daggerfall and Arena I don't know about; getting Dosbox to agree with me and let me install the entire package and running at like 5 FPS, respectively, don't really allow me to check all that well.) There's really no evolutionary reason for it either. Then again, assuming they're cold blooded as usual for reptiles, how exactly would they adapt to the frozen tundra of Skyrim? One would assume warm clothing would not be enough for a species that cannot produce its own heat... The UESP wiki doesn't clear things up at all, really. In fact... man, this race is the definition of strange.

Xeros612 said:

In fact... man, this race is the definition of strange.

It's all about licking hist sap. It mutates them according to what they need to be in their environment.

Xeros612 said:

Then again, assuming they're cold blooded as usual for reptiles, how exactly would they adapt to the frozen tundra of Skyrim? One would assume warm clothing would not be enough for a species that cannot produce its own heat... The UESP wiki doesn't clear things up at all, really. In fact... man, this race is the definition of strange.

Notice how people are walking around comfortably in short sleeves and tunics in the most northern parts of the map, where, judging by the ice glaciers, the temperatures are not unlike that of the North Pole or Siberia, or possibly South Pole temperatures?

Suspension of Disbelief, dude.

Lite Sparkle said:

I've seen this thread for quite awhile, and i'm just wondering.

What's Skyrim?

A damn awesome game, in my opinion. Also the name of the place where the game is set.

DoomUK said:

Notice how people are walking around comfortably in short sleeves and tunics in the most northern parts of the map, where, judging by the ice glaciers, the temperatures are not unlike that of the North Pole or Siberia, or possibly South Pole temperatures?

Suspension of Disbelief, dude.

Notice how you don't die in scant minutes when you go into the water at arctic temperatures.