Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vesperas_

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

DoomUK said:

Notice how people are walking around comfortably in short sleeves and tunics in the most northern parts of the map, where, judging by the ice glaciers, the temperatures are not unlike that of the North Pole or Siberia, or possibly South Pole temperatures?

Well, they've clearly all gone mad! SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF WILL NOT DEFEAT ME IN THIS oh who cares it's not really that big a deal, it just pisses me off when something reptilian is fucked up.

Well, they have a racial 50% resistance to frost damage. They can probably resist hypothermia a lot better than other races.

Xeros612 said:

Doesn't explain why rounded pupils weren't a part of the race in Oblivion and Morrowind. (Daggerfall and Arena I don't know about; getting Dosbox to agree with me and let me install the entire package and running at like 5 FPS, respectively, don't really allow me to check all that well.) There's really no evolutionary reason for it either. Then again, assuming they're cold blooded as usual for reptiles, how exactly would they adapt to the frozen tundra of Skyrim? One would assume warm clothing would not be enough for a species that cannot produce its own heat... The UESP wiki doesn't clear things up at all, really. In fact... man, this race is the definition of strange.

I'm looking at an Argonian in Solitude right now and he has slitted pupils. So I dunno... I can't say I've seen any in game yet that have round ones. Was that other pic a shop???

I love Skyrim. My 2GB 6950 eats it for breakfast. My only gripe thus far is the UI, and how little time I have to actually play it.

This game is probably the most fun singleplayer game I've had the pleasure of enjoying for a few years now. It has some balance issues with crafting/currency though, but otherwise has enjoyable gameplay.

When people were anticipating it's release I thought it was a flight sim.

Anyway somebody on Facebook was talking about how he pickpocketed a carrot, got put in jail, broke out and looted the evidence chest, which contained only the carrot. That sounds amusing.

I'm just hoping that Skyrim doesn't go the way of Oblivion in terms of mods. I'm sure most people who have visited the tesnexus know what I'm talking about.

also, has anybody else had trouble getting the honeyside house in riften? I finished the skooma quest along with several other quests in riften and one of the guards informed me that there was a house for sale. When I went inside though and tried talking to the steward the option to buy one wasn't there.

Craigs said:

I'm just hoping that Skyrim doesn't go the way of Oblivion in terms of mods. I'm sure most people who have visited the tesnexus know what I'm talking about.

Craigs said:

As long as there's plenty of good and useful mods to counterbalance the retarded stuff, I'm fine with an abundance of rule 34 stuff if that's what people want to spend their time on.

Mods are what make Morrowind and Oblivion amazing. I love playing Morrowind with Better Bodies, Better Heads, Better Clothes, and updated graphics. Plus there's stuff like Tamriel Rebuilt that make the game twice as big.

Craigs said:

I'm just hoping that Skyrim doesn't go the way of Oblivion in terms of mods.

Zuh? Not sure what you mean. Oblivion has some cool mods, that's for sure. It's not like other games with editing tools don't have a mix of good and bad mods / levels / whatever. For every good Doom map there must be a dozen crappy ones. :p So bring on the damned Skyrim CK already. Half the fun is sorting through the crap to find the one good mod... and then getting to bitch about the stupid weird shit people make. ;)

And in three years or so we'll all be manually editing the contents of our bashed patches again just to keep all those mods working. I hope some of the big mod projects play together better so we can spend a little less time figuring that stuff out.

Aliotroph? said:

And in three years or so we'll all be manually editing the contents of our bashed patches again just to keep all those mods working.

They'll be sashed patches this time! ;)

Well, provided there is a Wrye Sash in the first place.

Vampirism is a pain in the ass to manage. Why is it so damn hard to find a sleeping person who doesn't get up the second I walk into the room? I mean, it's fun if you want a character like that - but I'm training up a tank Orc and it's more trouble than it's worth.

Need to sneak; sneak+walk if the skill isn't very high - and if wearing heavy armor, then maybe even get nekkid for some proper kinky vampire action. Or muffle spell.

Bucket said:

Vampirism is a pain in the ass to manage. Why is it so damn hard to find a sleeping person who doesn't get up the second I walk into the room? I mean, it's fun if you want a character like that - but I'm training up a tank Orc and it's more trouble than it's worth.

I've heard vampirism in skyrim kinda sucks for various and vague reasons. So I haven't bothered to get it yet, but it was always the first thing I did on new oblivion characters since it was such a boon and so easy to deal with.

Go to Markarth and go to the inn just inside town. Aside from the hilarity of the husband and wife owners of the place endlessly bitching at each other, their two adult children sleep in until 9 am or so and their bedroom door is unlocked and easily accessible. I can't say I've looked around too much for easy marks, but that one was pretty obvious when I saw it.

How does skyrim vampirism fare compared to oblivion? Strength boost? Hunters sight?

Edit: Skyrim is fantastic, it really is, but you know what, maybe it's time to come clean. I've got almost 70 hours into skyrim. My character is around level 46 or 47 or so, but since I completed the skyrim db quests I went and reinstalled oblivion to do the oblivion db quests just for a bit of quick fun. 2 weeks later and I've put another 40 hours into oblivion and look forward to more...

I'm getting to the point where I don't want to play skyrim. I mean for the past 30ish hours of game play I've looted maybe only a handful of bodies and chests despite finishing dozens of random quests including the mages college and thieves guild lines. Why bother? How many dungeons I've delved into and not even wasted time to loot anything? All I get, another gold necklace or ring or flawless garnet I cannot sell because every vendor has like 500 gold shared between them all. I'm sitting on probably 50,000 gold worth of shit I cannot get rid of.

I'm still using the db gear I got at level 6 because nothing is better it seems, and a bound bow I'll never replace. I have 5 dragonpriest helms rotting away in some cupboard. I mean it's one thing to go into a dungeon at high levels and have every bandit wearing a full set of enchanted glass and ebony armor, and another for every bandit to have nothing but fur armor and 7 gold and 12 iron arrows...

Someone please tell me I'm doing it wrong...

Gez said:

They'll be sashed patches this time! ;)

Well, provided there is a Wrye Sash in the first place.

There's already a build of Wrye Bash that supports Skyrim. Some of the guys were trying to come up with a name for the Skyrim one. The leading contenders seemed to be Wrye Smash or Wrye Slash.

@Quast: Yeah, they nerfed selling. You basically have to keep waiting for them to get more money so you can sell more and raise your speech to improve your selling options. A fast way to do this is to improve or enchant lots of the crap you find, since higher prices raise speech faster.

I still like looting. I find a pile of gold, so I don't need to sell much. I try and get at least one of everything and sell doubles. Then I pick up a few more big-dollar things if I want to sell them or enchant them. Having seven million arrows just lets me waste them shooting birds out of the sky, which is oddly entertaining, probably because it's so damn hard.

Quast: Yeah I've had a similar experience. I went mod hunting for and started playing Morrowind again, not looking back. I'll probably check out the mod scene for Skyrim in 6 months or so and see if some of my issues with the game are fixed.

Quast said:

Someone please tell me I'm doing it wrong...

After ~100 hours I got my Nord to level 43, had finished the main quests and all the guild quests and then started playing as a second character. A sneaky, stealthy female Wood Elf who I adopt totally different combat strategies with. I'm also still finding lots of random quests to do. Oh, and I'll join the Stormcloaks this time around.

A good game is measured by it's replayability, imo, and Skyrim doesn't fail.

Khorus said:

Quast: Yeah I've had a similar experience. I went mod hunting for and started playing Morrowind again, not looking back. I'll probably check out the mod scene for Skyrim in 6 months or so and see if some of my issues with the game are fixed.

Hehe, yeah. Everyone's been playing Skyrim lately, so I've logged about 60 hours into Morrowind since Skyrim came out.

Speaking of Morrowind...

I'm sure most have noticed that a few Morrowind exploration songs have somehow reappeared for Skyrim. Now, they sound nice and all, but anyone else think it's... a bit out of place?

Quast said:

How does skyrim vampirism fare compared to oblivion? Strength boost? Hunters sight?

It's not as powerful as in Oblivion. You don't get strength/health/speed boosts. Only restistance to disease and poison, bonuses to sneak and illusion skill. Resistance to frost and weakness to fire. Powers like night vision, reanimate dead bodies, drain health, seduction, invisibility. It depends on the stage of vampirism you're on. Unlike Oblivion, you don't get damaged in sunlight, but your m/h/s are lowered and don't regenerate unless you have corresponding items equipped.

Overall, I'm a little disappointed with it - it was more useful/fun to play in Oblivion. I guess now it's only a real benefit for stealth/thief characters.

Xeros612 said:

Speaking of Morrowind...

I'm sure most have noticed that a few Morrowind exploration songs have somehow reappeared for Skyrim. Now, they sound nice and all, but anyone else think it's... a bit out of place?

I noticed exactly one. This is its third arrangement as it was in Oblivion as well. It's one of the best songs in the game, so it can stay even if out of place.

Morrowind

Oblivion:

Skyrim:

After putting 20+ hours into the game, I have to say that this game is a huge letdown. Not once it felt like I was progressing, or rather getting stronger or improving my skills, traits, etc and magic is completely useless compared to Oblivion. The perk system really forces you to specialize in one thing. In Oblivion I was basically a Battlemage (both specializing in fighting, one hand, destruction and conjuration) while being one in Skyrim is extremely difficult due to this system. Not much control on what you want to be and instead the game forces you to be a typical/generic fighter, archer or mage. The UI system is complete broken consolized garbage.

And then on top of that, the recent patch completely removed my Aragonian's resist disease and breathe underwater abilities. That did it for me; I un-installed the game and hope that in a year or two down the road, there will be enough mods to make the game much better. At least Serious Sam: BFE is keeping me happy...

Kaiser said:

After putting 20+ hours into the game

Kaiser said:

Not once it felt like I was progressing, or rather getting stronger or improving my skills, traits, etc

Come back after putting more time into this game than a mere 20 hours, and say with a straight face that you cant see any difference in your combat abilities or skills.