Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vesperas_

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Looks like the Creation Kit is coming out by the end of this month. How's the interest here for Skyrim "mapping"?

I've toyed around a little bit with the past editors for Morrowind and Oblivion, so I know it's not much like making FPS maps. In Bethesda's games the areas are made out of several small/medium-size prefab pieces. Would love to try and make my own dungeon crawls, probably with some custom textures for variety.

There were plenty more little secret rooms and such in Skyrim's dungeons, which made me think of Doom and what the community might come up with.

That HD texture pack made Skyrim look so much more god damn amazing, can't believe I did a whole play through without using it.

What, the texture pack I was leading the team for? I haven't touched it in a month, I'm considering revisiting it and giving it a formal release.

I'll probably take a look at the Creation Kit, but I really don't understand how the Construction Kits worked, so I don't think the Creation Kit would be any different.

There's official documentation/wikis for the earlier ones, including tutorials, and this one should be no different.

I've noticed that a lot of the in game textures have lots of pixelation, green and pink patches, lack of normal maps and are grainy looking, I'm guessing that either the double compression of both the steam ncf file archive compression on top of the bsa compression archives of the games files has screwed the textures up (not counting the lack of normal maps) or they just made them that way, I remember some of Oblivions textures had pixelation as the only issue and nothing else.

Violator said:

Used this one http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=607 if you were behind this, thank you so god damn much lol.

I worked with that guy. What you are getting are not actual high rez textures. He upscales the originals in photoshop and leaves all kinds of fucked up alpha layers, leaving the textures way too massive and not looking any better. In fact most of them look worse. He was originally working with our pack but then we all saw what he was up to and had to take his stuff out.

This is kind of an interesting phenomenon. So many people think the pack looks better, when in fact it's just a more blurry version of what's already in game, which was blurry to begin with. You attach the words "HD" to something and everyone thinks it's automatically better ;)

Shaikoten said:

This is kind of an interesting phenomenon. So many people think the pack looks better, when in fact it's just a more blurry version of what's already in game, which was blurry to begin with. You attach the words "HD" to something and everyone thinks it's automatically better ;)

Funny you say that I've compared many of the textures and small textures to the vanilla version and it looks a lot more complete, can you send me a link to your mod? Really keen to get my Skyrim not looking a console port although Nebulas high res pack did a pretty good job.

Shaikoten said:

I worked with that guy. What you are getting are not actual high rez textures. He upscales the originals in photoshop and leaves all kinds of fucked up alpha layers, leaving the textures way too massive and not looking any better. In fact most of them look worse. He was originally working with our pack but then we all saw what he was up to and had to take his stuff out.

Yes, exactly. Those textures look terrible. The stand-out shots are are the one with the carpet in Dragonsreach where you can no longer see much of the pattern, and the one with the dinner table and the ornate, carved column. You can see cracks have been applied to the wood with no regard for the shape of the carvings or even that they're three dimensional.

I see Skyrim Nexus has no way to provide a negative rating on the mods. That sucks.

Aliotroph? said:

I see Skyrim Nexus has no way to provide a negative rating on the mods. That sucks.

Holy wow. That's shitty as hell -- the "best" mods are nothing more than the most popular. By that logic, Rebecca Black's music video is one of the greatest contributions to the history of mankind.

In other news, SKYRIM. Got it as a late Christmas gift and have been having a lot of fun with it. ARROWS TO THE FACE FOR EVERYONE!

I was used to the 'arrow to the knee' jokes. But then I took 14 darts to the ass. :P

Aliotroph? said:

Yes, exactly. Those textures look terrible. The stand-out shots are are the one with the carpet in Dragonsreach where you can no longer see much of the pattern, and the one with the dinner table and the ornate, carved column. You can see cracks have been applied to the wood with no regard for the shape of the carvings or even that they're three dimensional.

Arent you legally blind

Well, the Creation Kit is out and can be downloaded from the Tools section in Steam. Also, if you check the DLC tab for Skyrim you can download an official hi-res texture pack at about 3gb.

Planky said:

Arent you legally blind

Yeah and yet he can see shit I miss when he tests my Doom maps. Plus he can hear a beer bottle opening from 3 blocks away. :p

Anyhow, I just grabbed the Contraceptive Kit... time to make that More Angrier Giants / Giant Death Squad mod... or maybe just a house that doesn't suck for starters.

There seems to be some useful new additions, like being able to assign new, unique textures to meshes inside the CK instead of having to externally create unique mesh files. Saves some time if you just want to make a reskinned variant of a monster or tileset.

Doom Dude said:

Yeah and yet he can see shit I miss when he tests my Doom maps. Plus he can hear a beer bottle opening from 3 blocks away. :p

Anyhow, I just grabbed the Contraceptive Kit... time to make that More Angrier Giants / Giant Death Squad mod... or maybe just a house that doesn't suck for starters.

I think I have some kind of funny way of looking at the world. People tell me I'm always finding stuff they didn't see, and yet I can never see anything normal. I have to use binoculars to read the McDonald's menu, I can't see in 3D and I'm colourblind.

I just downgrabbed the new textures and the CK. Probably don't have time to play with those much this week. There is code to write.

Well the HRTP kind of kills the project I was working on, but good on them, means I can move to something else and not care.

I put an arrow into a guy's face and he still came at me. The second shot put him down. It was amusing to see a bandit take an arrow in his head and still go at me as it was a scratch. This was with a pre-CK ESP that increases weapons damage btw.

Aliotroph? said:

You'd think that, but they didn't improve half the textures.

I see a real increase in some of the places where it mattered the most, like equipment, armor, and clothes. It's still not perfect though, because it's pretty compressed. I doubt they'll release it uncompressed, but even still it's a great improvement over the super blurry blotches all over the place.

Clothes, weapons, armor and (I think) face normal maps are visibly improved. Whether or not that's worth the 3Gb download, I dunno.

Here is a CK sneak peek at my first dungeon I'm working on. Started on saturday, finished layout, navmeshing and most cluttering today. Haven't added real lighting yet, that'll be for tomorrow after I've finished adding monster encounters. The level design is kinda doom inspired, you'll be pulling switches to open doors in other rooms, closet monsters, plenty of rewarding secrets if you look around.

Looks cool, are you on SkyrimNexus by any chance? My account is chrisdragon425 and I am working on a loot mod that I have made for the previous 2 TES games that are on TESNexus.

Enjay: Kajagoogoo and Limahl were at no. 1 with "Too Shy" on my birthday - don't diss :)

As for Skyrim, I just console hacked and married Lydia. My kinda girl ;)

As my current PC is a POS, I went ahead with the PS3 purchase a while back.

A word of advice towards PS3 owners, don't bother.

There are some pretty major game breaking bugs, and that's outside the generic ones that plague all platforms. The PC version would be optimal of course, but I hear the 360 version is also acceptable.

E.J. said:

As my current PC is a POS, I went ahead with the PS3 purchase a while back.

A word of advice towards PS3 owners, don't bother.

There are some pretty major game breaking bugs, and that's outside the generic ones that plague all platforms. The PC version would be optimal of course, but I hear the 360 version is also acceptable.

Are you sure there arent any in mine