Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spazman

Black Sabbath is making another album and scheduling another tour

Vordakk said:

To be fair though, Ozzy hasn't been very "metal" for quite a while now. Do you think he goes with "heavy metal producers" to do his records? Probably about as "heavy metal" as Bob Rock(i.e. not metal at all). And I can definitely tell just by ear that Ozzy uses autotune. I just listened to "Life Won't Wait"(which has a few acoustic parts) and the vocal processing is quite noticeable. This article seems to back me up on that, though obviously you can't take everything this dude says as fact.

Yeah, Ozzy has definitely been using autotune for the past few albums. It's fairly obvious.

Just listened to that song. The autotune wasn't obvious at all - and yeah, it's meant as a subtle effect and not to completely robotize Ozzy's voice like most modern pop songs do with it - but I'm really doubtful it was applied at all. The only effect I heard on his vocals was a kinda cool reverb effect with some subtle phasing applied. Ozzy was singing like that WAAAY before auto-tune came around as an effect. I'm pretty sure that it's just... he's got a good voice. :S

I dunno, maybe I need to listen to more of his recent stuff. That song (Life Won't Wait) certainly didn't leap out to me as being autotuned. :S

Plus, there are other ways to cheat your vocal performance besides auto-tune. Processing, punch-ins, and a myriad of other effects can easily be applied to a vocal performance via Pro-Tools. Listen to Ozzy live when he tours, if he sounds crisp and clean like he does on "Life Won't Wait" then I'll buy you lunch, Jimmy :)

Ralphis said:

Autotune has been used on almost all major records released over the past two decades.

Good thing I don't purchase major records then, including Ozzy's latest stuff.

The thing is, when autotune is used correctly, you shouldn't even be able to tell it's there. Major fail in this thread

Amazing. In true Doomworld fashion I made a joke and then somebody takes me seriously and starts a bloated argument about autotune. :D

I was moreso wisecracking about how bad of a singer Ozzy Osbourne is in general, whether we're talking about the past or the present. It's one of the major reason I've never been much of a fan of the band. But hey, to each his own.

AgentSpork said:

Amazing. In true Doomworld fashion I made a joke and then somebody takes me seriously and starts a bloated argument about autotune. :D

I was moreso wisecracking about how bad of a singer Ozzy Osbourne is in general, whether we're talking about the past or the present. It's one of the major reason I've never been much of a fan of the band. But hey, to each his own.

Your wise crack created something that was more interesting to talk about than Black Sabbath reforming. Get over it. :P

AgentSpork said:

It's true, he wasn't that great in his old recording. Which makes it suspicious how his newer recordings sound so pitch-perfect.

He became a big joke, like the fool who shows for his own slaughter.

EDIT: link removed

I'm not so much excited about the album as I am about getting the chance to see them. Not sure what they are going to be able to come up with after 40 years... but I guess we'll see!

Vordakk said:

Listen to Ozzy live when he tours, if he sounds crisp and clean like he does on "Life Won't Wait" then I'll buy you lunch, Jimmy :)

To be fair, no one sounds studio good live, do they? And if they do, they get accused of lip syncing.

Seems like there was a time when we could rely on singers to sound as good live as they did in the studio. Makes me miss Roy Orbison.