Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sharessa

The Hobbit Trailer Released

Maes said:

I misread the thread title as "Hobbs's Trailer Released" and I thought that Hobbs was trailer trash and his trailer's brakes failed or something.

Bilbo:
- smokes "weed" all day
- eats a lot (no doubt from getting the munchies)
- is short, so probably goes after the teen girls
- lives in something about as big as a single-wide
- does "odd jobs" for a fee

Ahmagawd. Didn't know if this was going to happen or not and now I'm like yay and the trailer looks nice too.

Maybe it was because I saw the movies first, but I found the LotR books fun to read. Hobbit was of course great too. The only one I never finished was Silmarillion since when I was half way through I had to give the book back to the library since the year was ending and then it was off to high school where I never had time for pleasure reading in class. I was enjoying it quite a bit though. I do agree it wouldn't make a good movie the way it is, though I think the Beren and LĂșthien thing might work.

Maes said:

I misread the thread title as "Hobbs's Trailer Released" and I thought that Hobbs was trailer trash and his trailer's brakes failed or something.

LOL

Hm, read them all except the Silmarillion, but from what my brother tells me the Silmarillion is full of epic battles and tragic heroes -sounds like a good movie to me.

Yeah but like Shaikoten said it's not really written in a way that would lend itself well to film. It would be like making a Zelda game about the creation and early events of Hyrule, long before Link was born. Sounds cool at first but really how would that even work?

Chex Warrior said:

Silmarillion is full of epic battles and tragic heroes -sounds like a good movie to me.

History is full of epic battles and tragic heroes. A movie that told the full story of humanity starting with when the solar system was a dust cloud could be very good, but you'd need a lot of popcorn and piss-breaks to get through it.

Creaphis said:

History is full of epic battles and tragic heroes. A movie that told the full story of humanity starting with when the solar system was a dust cloud could be very good, but you'd need a lot of popcorn and piss-breaks to get through it.

Space Odyssey 2001 did a pretty damn good job at summing it all up in two famous scenes.

Maes said:

Space Odyssey 2001 did a pretty damn good job at summing it all up in two famous scenes.

Indeed.

That ending has always baffled me though. Even after watching that movie countless times and reading plenty of other people's thoughts on it. Why did Dave become the space child thingy again? Was he chosen or was that just what happens when you come across the monolith under certain conditions? But hey, ambiguity and mystery is what Kubrick intended. And this is a thread about The Hobbit.

In the sequel, Odyssey 3001 he sort of hints that he was "chosen" for "The Monolith's own reasons" and became permanently fused with it (along with HAL, duh).

The movies sucked compared to the books, the books elaborate in greater definition, I prefer letting the book play out in my head instead of seeing someone elses interpretation of them.

I watched the second film but thought it sucked so here's my "fanon" lol

1. Animal becomes man (the world's first murder)
2. Computer becomes man (the computer kills everyone, see 1.)
3. Man becomes God (the "star child" starts planting monoliths on new planet, repeat from 1)

2001 is a truly beautiful film