Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Genki

The Metal / Rock Music Fans

Metal is like anime. It can be pretty fun to indulge in, then you meet the fans and feelings of shame & regret start kicking in.

I pretty much exclusively listen to the progressive stuff. I particularly like the recent progressive movement they've labeled "Djent" for whatever reason. I read it's a term coined by Meshuggah and all the Djent acts are more or less ripping their sound. Chimp Spanner is a good pick. For the more traditional prog stuff I love the German band Vanden Plas.

Chimp Spanner is godly. Neosis is a PHENOMENAL Djent band. They're rather new, but you should definitely look into some of their stuff. Devin Townsend's latest few albums were excellent as well. Deconstruction was just crushing.

StevieCybernetik said:

Neosis is a PHENOMENAL Djent band. They're rather new, but you should definitely look into some of their stuff.

If that's the same Neosis that were recently touring with Chimaira, then yes, they're very good. Saw them in March. Could have done better with their sound check though, frequently asking the sound engineer to make adjustments mid-song when they should be performing is a bit sloppy. I'm guessing they were just having an off day or something.

Also, for new upcoming bands, check out Foreboding Ether:

Is that video showing for everyone else? I can only see a big gap where the video should be. Direct link just in case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llPQuGM9suA

r_init: getpostnumberforname: post not found!

Edited by Justince

GeckoYamori said:

I pretty much exclusively listen to the progressive stuff. I particularly like the recent progressive movement they've labeled "Djent" for whatever reason. I read it's a term coined by Meshuggah and all the Djent acts are more or less ripping their sound.

My favorite Djent performer is Cloudkicker. He's got several EPs available for free on the internets. I like this Chimp spanner.

Also shut up, Devin Townsend is great.

Yeah, I think quite a few people on this forum like Devin Townsend. SYL too. Personally I prefer SYL to the solo stuff, but still awesome either way.

GeckoYamori said:

Metal is like anime. It can be pretty fun to indulge in, then you meet the fans and feelings of shame & regret start kicking in.

As opposed to fans of other genres of music who are all far superior? Every genre has both dirtbags and winners who listen to its music. And since when did a genre's fans have any bearing on one's feelings towards the actual music? I don't spend my day wondering if I should listen to Rhapsody of Fire because some other guy who listens to it might like to dress up as a wizard and pretend to shoot fireballs from his fingertips. If you're more concerned about who a genre's fans are then about the way the music of that genre makes you feel, you are a total clown, dude.

Any Brits (or those travelling from abroad) going to Download Festival next month? Even though it's a mix of rock, metal and other stuff too. Still plenty of brilliant bands playing this year.

DooMAD said:

Any Brits (or those travelling from abroad) going to Download Festival next month? Even though it's a mix of rock, metal and other stuff too. Still plenty of brilliant bands playing this year.

true, and I found a thrash one called:
Meliah Rage - Dreamer
check it now...

StevieCybernetik said:

Lol, whats your problem?

That'd be the second stage of genre freakness commonly known as only-the-metalz-I-like-are-worthy-of-approval-and-the-rest-is-shit syndrome. It's fatal.

Few bands I dig

-Asphyx
-Dismember
-Obituary (Old)
-Sacrificial Blood
-The Chasm (Mex)
-Repugnant
-Hypocrisy (First album)
-Entombed
-Deceased
-Running Wild
-Candlemass
-Metallica (first 2 albums)
-Saxon
-W.A.S.P
-Gary Moore (all of his shit)
-Tankard
-Slaughter
-Venom
-Wolf
-Tygers of Pan Tang
-The Misfits(know its not metal but fucking dig old school Apolitical punk)
-Xysma
-Motley Crue (before they turned gay)
-Mayhem (Old)
-Bathory
-Iron Angel
-Black Sabbath
-Cirith Ungol

Hi!

I like a lot of "mainstream" metal bands (in fact i like good stuff from hard rock to black metal), altough i prefer more vintage or obscure bands from the 80's-90'. I also like a lot 80's japanese and italian bands.

So there these are some of my favorite bands:

Sabbrabells
Anthem
Reaction
Loudness
Dead End
X-Ray
Sigh
Xipe
Strana Officina
Sabotage
Vanadium
Crying Steel
Skanners
Warlord
Pretty Maids
Baron Rojo
Masacre (Peru)
Curriculum Mortis (Peru)
Orgus (Peru)
X-japan
Ensiferum
Angel Witch
Bathory
Blcklace
Chastain
Picture
Bulldozer
Piledriver
Heavy Load
The Datura
Lion
Metal Church
Riot
Viper (Brazil)
Acid
Diamond Head
Cloven Hoof
Aria

etc.. impossible to mention all
Also like old 80's compilationes. They feature sometimes great bands that you never heard again. Some of these:
- Born To Metalize
- U.S. Metal Volume 1-4
- Dutch Steel
- Hard % Heavy (metal from East Germany compilation)
- Moose Molten Metal
- Legends Of Japanese Heavy Metal 80's
- MetalMaster (Italy)
- Heavy Metal Made in Italy
- Heavy Metal Force (Japan)

etc...

check this link, this guys have some awesome demos,out of print and vintage material:
http://strappadometalblog.blogspot.com/

Stay Metal !

Is anyone else having trouble keeping up with all the subgenres? I've just seen "Progressive Ambidjent" used in a sentence. And not in an ironic way, either. What the shit? That's like a sub-sub-sub genre or something. Do people just pull these names out of their arse?

NokturnuS said:

Hi!

I like a lot of "mainstream" metal bands (in fact i like good stuff from hard rock to black metal), altough i prefer more vintage or obscure bands from the 80's-90'. I also like a lot 80's japanese and italian bands.

Stay Metal !

do not forget "Gamma Ray" so speedy as hell.

saifi said:

do not forget "Gamma Ray" so speedy as hell.

Yeah, i like a lot Gamma Ray, have all of its albums. I catalog them as "mainstream metal" , its a very well known and respected band. Have the luck to saw them twice here in my country. Lots of energy and Zimmerman its a fuckin drum beast!

DooMAD said:

Is anyone else having trouble keeping up with all the subgenres? Do people just pull these names out of their arse?

Yep and yes they are (Static-X claim they are "Evil Disco" and Alestorm are "True Scottish Pirate Metal", so it really is just whatever they say they are). I don't even bother trying - hence "Rock" and "Heavy Metal" :P

@ducon: ** Although as I like Linkin Park (well... Hybrid Theory and Meteora) and reckon they're probably metal, following that trail led to "Classical Heavy Metal", which puts them in the same lump as Iron Maiden, which I'm sure the guy who originally made that image will hate :P

saifi said:

Nice scheme.

I listen to everything but nu-metal and black metal. Grind core misses.

ducon said:

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/4263109_460s.jpg

Most Doom metal you can understand the lyrics... Well, okay, you can understand the words at least. What the song means is another story.

Not a big metal fan myself. The only ones I'd rank among my favorites are SYL/Devin and Type O Negative.

Other metal I listen to:
Black Sabbath
Ozzy
Megadeth
Iron Maiden
White Zombie
Motorhead (okay, just Ace of Spades, but I fucking love that song)

Industrial metal (which is neither) that I listen to:
KMFDM
Ministry
Marilyn Manson (I only like Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals, though)
Nine Inch Nails (only Broken really counts)
Skinny Puppy (the Al Jorgensen albums kind of count)

And Led Zeppelin is good, though they're just proto-metal. Long story short, I don't listen to metal.

So is there any suggestion to make a metal song as theme for doom?

I like lots of different stuff, some of which is metal. Here is what I can think of for now.

220 Volt
Accept
After Forever
Alice In Chains
Angel Dust
Anthrax
Anvil
Armored Saint
Artch
Astral Doors
Black Sabbath
Blackout
Blind Fury
Blind Guardian
Born Of Fire
Celtic Frost
Children Of Bodom
Cradle Of Filth
Crimson Glory
Diamond Head
Dio
Dragonforce
Dream Theater
Epica
Fates Warning
Galneryus
Gamma Ray
Helloween
Hammerfall
Iced Earth
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Kamelot
Katagory V
Killer Dwarfs
Lacuna Coil
Lullacry
Machine Head
MainEEaxe
Manilla Road
Manowar
Megadeth
Mercyful Fate
Metallica
Metal Church
Minotauri
Motorhead
Nightwish
Primal Fear
Queensrÿche
Rammstein
Rhapsody Of Fire
Rob Zombie
Sabaton
Satyrian
Savatage
Saxon
Scorpions
Shire
Sirenia
Slayer
Sonata Artica
Steel Prophet
Stratovarius
Testament
Tokyo Blade
Tristania
Vanadium
W.A.S.P.
Within Temptation
Xandria

I checked out Chimp Spanner after Gecko mentioned that... sounds pretty good. There's a lot of stuff in this thread I should investigate. I tend to get side tracked because my music interests vary quite a bit.